fiction and nonfiction as inspiration

bgruagach

eclectic Wiccan
Reaction score
Are some sources considered less worthy as inspiration for a spiritual path? Are only historical (nonfictional) sources valid for study in a religious framework?

Some might argue that all religions are essentially founded on fictions. Myths, in many cases, are merely stories that were invented to try and explain things in the natural world, or in some cases were likely just entertainment. From these seeds grew whole systems of belief, some which have lasted thousands of years.

It is also quite common for the foundational story taught by religious leaders to turn out to be a rather loose interpretation of the historical facts, and in many cases involves outright untruths. Are religious paths considered invalid if their foundation stories are exposed as fictional?

This question extends of course to all religions, but is most often brought up in the case of minority religions, especially modern Pagan religions. Is there a real distinction that makes one source of inspiration bad and another good when it comes to a spiritual path?

It's funny how explanation of spiritual concepts almost inevitably have to revert to metaphor and analogy, simply because the faction itself is too complicated to explain excepting by some simply device of illustrative fiction. :)

Another funny thing - I've read lots of world religious texts - yet the one book that had the most profound spiritual effect on myself was "The Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse. It's the only book that I have ever read that has ever given myself a feeling of the spiritual - and that was in the days when I did not even have an awareness of what "the spiritual" may or may not be.

Seems like the source is in everthing, fiction,nonfiction,music,religion and our enviroment.Sometimes you can hear it speak to you-"Just breath" a trailer for the movie Cinderella staring Drew Barrymore gave me chills.I just hope Im listening well enough.I think were getting bombarded by "God" every day no one listens."Love your brother man" Nesta Robert Marley

Feeling of the spiritual

I said:
( . . . . )

Another funny thing - I've read lots of world religious texts - yet the one book that had the most profound spiritual effect on myself was "The Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse. It's the only book that I have ever read that has ever given myself a feeling of the spiritual - and that was in the days when I did not even have an awareness of what "the spiritual" may or may not be.

Brian, as a favor to a brother bereft of spiritual feeling, and even to the present seemingly without any awareness of the spiritual, can you try to describe in any language even figurative language in any manner you wish your spiritual feeling and awareness.

I know the feeling of joy, sadness, depression, exhilaration, envy, hatred, anger, fear, confidence, ambition, pride, remorse, being loved, appreciated, being rejected, insulted, being admired, shame, embarrassment, diffidence, insecurity, strength, helplessness ... and of course the sensation of pleasure of various kinds, like scratching an itch, eating, drinking, the variety of sex stimulation and satisfaction, swell sense of bodily functions operating smoothly efficiently as in defecation and urination, even the breathing process can be and should be effortly comfortable...

What kind of feeling and awareness is the spiritual kind?

Susma Rio Sep

Good question Susma - and I didn't really understand it at the time, as I was very much in my Reductionist/Atheist phase.

Perhaps the feeling is like when you actually sit down and stare gazing at a sunset, and somehow there's just a peaceful feeling of beauty - a sense of happiness, without understanding it.

Hm...sounds like an entirely neurological condition only. :)

All I can really do is recommend the book to yourself, and see if you feel anything from it?

buddha

the buddha says there are countless paths, and yes it is believed in buddhism that anything can trigger an awakening, it all comes down to being mindful really, if you can accomplish that every second of every day, youll experience what you seek

amitabha

Feelings of the spirit?Kundalini,prana,chi,and ki those kinda feelings.Are the emotional ones you describe anger, hatred, fear, happy ect.How about the spiritual feelings of walking outside feeling the wind blow through the hair on your arms, the smell of fresh rain in the air , hearing the birds sing,the feeling of your feet planted on this planet here and now.I think there are many levels of feeling joy, sadness, depression where do you Susma feel them in your head your mind where SOMATICALLY do YOU feel.

~Fiction As Inspiration~

My Chaos Magick paradigm is the RPG Exalted by White Wolf.

~Non-Fiction As Inspiration~

The Sun inspires the entirety of my spiritualities. From Buddhism to the Occult, it's the Sun that serves to spark the most creativity, devotion, and sincerity.

Back