Yom Kippur

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
My question is how is Yom Kippur celebrated today as opposed to the days of your forefathers? Is it still a day of atonement..? Do you still have a high priest that performs the ceremony?

Ive been reading about it and Im interested in your views on what would happen if the ark of the covenant was returned? I imagine a huge revival would come over your people. Would that be enough to do what needed to be done in order to rebuild the Temple Mount?

I've only been to one Yom Kippur service ever, but I think I can nonetheless adequately answer the question. (OK, I suppose three services, although all on the same day if you want to think of it that way.)

My question is how is Yom Kippur celebrated today as opposed to the days of your forefathers? Is it still a day of atonement..?

It's still the Day of Atonement. "Yom Kippur" literally means "Day of Atonement", although the Bible calls it "Yom HaKippurim" (Day of Atonements). It still involves fasting and it's still the day where Jews atone for their collective sins.

Do you still have a high priest that performs the ceremony?

There is no organised priesthood today, nor is there a Temple, so no, there is no high priest performing the services, nor animals sacrificed. Yom Kippur services in Rabbinic Judaism follow a special prayerbook called a Machzor.

Ive been reading about it and Im interested in your views on what would happen if the ark of the covenant was returned? I imagine a huge revival would come over your people. Would that be enough to do what needed to be done in order to rebuild the Temple Mount?

I doubt much would happen. There's no way to verify that a particular ark claimant is legitimate versus just some extravagantly made fake by an organization like the Temple Institute.

As far as rebuilding the Temple, I've my doubts it'll happen any time soon. There's a beautiful mosque currently situated on the Temple Mount, and unless Israel decides to do the unthinkable and remove it, there won't be a Temple in the near future.

Thanks for answering my questions. Ive been researching Yom Kippur from the book of Leviticus because Christians believe that it foreshadows the death of Jesus.. thats why I was curious how its performed today..

I find the traditions and holy days of Judaism facinating. I think any Christian should, as these are the books and the traditions that Jesus learned from.

What I am finding limiting is the 'Old testament' as it is such a small portion of what is studied.

I attended services on Friday night, at a synagogue that has been tied with a Presbytarian Church for 40 years. They had a kodish (sp?) on the wall, a contract of their 'marriage' in 2003, long engagement...but they decided to make it permanent. On Wednesday nights they study the 'old testament' led by leaders from both religions...way to cool.

My question is how is Yom Kippur celebrated today as opposed to the days of your forefathers? Is it still a day of atonement..? Do you still have a high priest that performs the ceremony?

Hi Faithfulservant,

Reading through your post, yes, Yom Kippur is still our Day of Atonement and a day of complete reflection and meditation starting with Kol Nidrei (All Vows) and the fast in which we partake in for 25 hours, no food and no water. Most of the time is spent in the Synagogue in which we ask G-d for forgiveness for our sins (Viddui). We don't have a high priest who conducts the service, either the rabbi, cantor or sh'liach tsibur (representitive of the community) can conduct the service.

Back