The relation of atheism to fatalism

Jaiket

Token Atheist
Reaction score
A couple of posters in another thread mentioned that fatalism/despair is the logical consequence of atheism.

My immediate thought is that either; a) I have not thoroughly examined the logically entailed consequences of my beliefs regarding deities, or b) the proposition is incorrect.

I have given time to pondering over what is entailed by my beliefs regarding god, religion, nature etc. My intellect is clearly not limitless and I might have made mistakes or simply missed conclusions, but I'm inclined to believe case b).

I have met few atheists who have examined their beliefs and arrived at anything short of life-affirming positivity. 'Without purposes and immortality, there is no reason not to live a happy, full life, to pursue our dreams and to treat others well'.

What then would have people believe that this is a valid assesment?

Gimme yer toughts.

Thanks.

Aye, b) it is.

Presumably if one thinks there is no god and so no afterlife etc, then you had better get cracking with enjoying this one and only fleeting time of being alive (and hence no despair allowed). That's all my thoughts!

s.

I think it depends the person you ask.
If you have a need for purpose and meaning then a) applies.

The way I see it is that life can be a struggle with a good share of toil and suffering. For people who are not having a good time, who are empty or in pain, those who cannot rise above their circumstances; I would think option a) applies again. Suffering without meaning or purpose is despairing.
Those on the other hand who are living fulfilled lives in spite of life's challenges, then option b) will apply imo.

There is another angle, that human beings naturally seem to strive for immortality, religious or not.
I have spoken with some atheists that while accepting that after this life there is no more, they still cling to sentiments of posterity.
For example, their purpose in life is to contribute something to humanity for the next generations, etc. Which a cynical nihilist may contest, saying that sooner or later humanity and life on this earth will disappear, asking again what is the ultimate point?

Imo, if you manage to live fully in the here and now, not clinging to the past, not striving for the future, then all these questions are futile.

Kindest Regards, Jaiket and all!
This subject has been on my mind in various forms for a few days, so this is either a really cool synchronicity (great minds think alike?) or a very ironic coincidence. Either way, it will be an interesting conversation once I can get to it. Right now I am super strapped for time, but I wanted to let you know this has not passed unnoticed.
A couple of posters in another thread mentioned that fatalism/despair is the logical consequence of atheism.
I would be one of them, if not the one.

My immediate thought is that either; a) I have not thoroughly examined the logically entailed consequences of my beliefs regarding deities, or b) the proposition is incorrect.
Likewise there is always the possibility I am incorrect. I would also hold out the possibility of a third, or potentially more, possibilities. Which at the moment I have no idea what may be, but am open to consider.

I have given time to pondering over what is entailed by my beliefs regarding god, religion, nature etc. My intellect is clearly not limitless and I might have made mistakes or simply missed conclusions, but I'm inclined to believe case b).
This is fine, and it is certainly your perogative to follow where your heart and mind lead you to.

I feel the need to issue a disclaimer here, you are in my experience an exceptional case, Jaiket. There are a handful of well-meaning and self disciplined atheists who take the time and trouble to hang around here at CR, and it is those such as yourself that make the stereotype in my mind seem quite inadequate. So, we end up back at how labels are so insufficient and inaccurate when applied in reality. This is meant as a compliment.

I have also seen those exemplified by our recent drive by poster, who come in with an all-knowing attitude of arrogance and proceed in a rather "fundamentalist" way to downgrade and undermine the views of those they deem unworthy. I find it truly ironic to watch a fundamentalist point a finger at a fundamentalist and accuse of fundamentalism...it would be hilarious, if not for the potential severity and real-life outcomes.

I have met few atheists who have examined their beliefs and arrived at anything short of life-affirming positivity. 'Without purposes and immortality, there is no reason not to live a happy, full life, to pursue our dreams and to treat others well'.
And this is well and good, certainly an aspect I had not considered. Of course, there is no reason not to live a happy, full life, to pursue our dreams and to treat others well with purpose and immortality, just the same. A *pleasant* view of immortality, in the sense we speak of here, can only come to bear by earning it (in whatever manner) within this one life, in the eyes of a theist.

I haven't time to expand on this just now, and I dearly want to. My thinking was structured along the lines of morality by logic, as I have seen a handful of (presumed) atheists posit. Besides the fact this position is not borne out by historic / anthropological evidence (to wit: humanity has been, by all accounts, "religious" since the inception of society prior to civilization), the idea of logic generating morality just doesn't seem to pass muster. Logic may well play a role, but there are emotional aspects that are left out of such a raw equation. I could take time another day to spell it out better, but for now I will point to the work of a couple others to make my illustration for me.

Logic, as *the* generator of morality, can be demonstrated by the book "Lord of the Flies," as it can be demonstrated by the series of Mad Max / Road Warrior movies. I do not know the authors to give credit, but I think these are excellent looks at the human psyche when turned loose without a "throttle." In short, the prognosis is not very good. Logic has this nasty habit of looking out for self at the expense of others, where morality seems to be looking out for others in spite of self. Logic and morality obviously coexist, but I question their relation to each other, I really doubt logic generates morality at a root / core / base level. (one might even dare point to elemental morality among herding and pack animals, and attempt to find "logic" among same...)

Presumably if one thinks there is no god and so no afterlife etc, then you had better get cracking with enjoying this one and only fleeting time of being alive (and hence no despair allowed). That's all my thoughts!
True...but again, one only gets to *enjoy* an afterlife if one makes positively constructive use of this "one and only" life. So again, no despair allowed. (In a perfect example, anyway.)

There is another angle, that human beings naturally seem to strive for immortality, religious or not.
I have spoken with some atheists that while accepting that after this life there is no more, they still cling to sentiments of posterity.
For example, their purpose in life is to contribute something to humanity for the next generations, etc. Which a cynical nihilist may contest, saying that sooner or later humanity and life on this earth will disappear, asking again what is the ultimate point?
You may have hit on something I had not considered..."cynical nihilist." Accepting that we use our "labels" in our minds in order to construct and guide our thoughts, perhaps I was saying "atheist" and meaning "cynical nihilist." I guess the thought hadn't occurred to me that an athiest could be anything but a cynical nihilist, so in that regard I suppose an apology is due.

I offer my full and complete apology to anyone offended by my misinterpretation.

Imo, if you manage to live fully in the here and now, not clinging to the past, not striving for the future, then all these questions are futile.
Ah, and here the theist faces dilemma in responding...as I cannot speak for G-d, I cannot say with anything approaching certainty just what "He" will value, and what "He" won't value. Speaking as a mere mortal human striving to do the best I know how on this earth in this lifetime, I appreciate what it is you are trying to say!

True...but again, one only gets to *enjoy* an afterlife if one makes positively constructive use of this "one and only" life. So again, no despair allowed. (In a perfect example, anyway.)

Hi Juan,

No doubt misunderstanding this; an atheist believes there is no afterlife, so they aren't hoping to enjoy or not enjoy something that they do not believe in. From this perspective what use an atheist makes of their supposed one and only life is irrelevant.

Feel free to correct me.:)

s.

A *pleasant* view of immortality, in the sense we speak of here, can only come to bear by earning it (in whatever manner) within this one life, in the eyes of a theist.

Ah, and here the theist faces dilemma in responding...as I cannot speak for G-d, I cannot say with anything approaching certainty just what "He" will value, and what "He" won't value. Speaking as a mere mortal human striving to do the best I know how on this earth in this lifetime, I appreciate what it is you are trying to say!

Juan, these paragraphs really jumped on me.
Not sure if I am misunderstanding, can you clarify what you mean by earning and striving.

Gimme yer toughts.

Thanks.

Hi Jaiket,

Wouldn't opening yourself up to unknown possibilites describe your outlook as agnostic rather than atheistic?

Peace

Mark

(snip)

Gimme yer toughts.

Thanks.

Jaiket,

It seems to me the logical consequence of atheism is not believing in God. That's about it. Life goes on either way. Some people arrive at despair regardless of their declared belief. One cannot know God anyway except he/she is awakened to reality. Its not exactly something you can force on people. Just some thoughts to consider.

Love in Christ,
JM

One cannot know God anyway except he/she is awakened to reality. Its not exactly something you can force on people. Just some thoughts to consider.

Is it possible that you could make yourself believe that you believe in God?

Juan, thanks for your response. I look forward to more detail, though it already has me thinking.

Thank you to the others who responded.

Hi Jaiket,

Wouldn't opening yourself up to unknown possibilites describe your outlook as agnostic rather than atheistic?
I think both. I am open to being wrong, but I don't believe I am. I also don't believe I can know the answer, but believe that the only evidence regarding gods as far as I can see, is the lack of evidence. But yeah, agnostic suits me fine.

why does fatalism have to be slashed with despair? Couldn't somebody be happy and perfectly content to leave the universe in it's own hands to unfold as it will?

We know a movie is a written script, and a book is already planned out and the ending will never change, but you can still be surprised if it's the first time it's read.

Last edited:
why does fatalism have to be slashed with despair? Couldn't somebody be happy and perfectly content to leave the universe in it's own hands to unfold as it will?
Yes. 'Despair' was used in the thread I mentioned. I wasn't trying to imply that fatalism in necessarily desperate.

Kindest Regards, Snoopy!
No doubt misunderstanding this; an atheist believes there is no afterlife, so they aren't hoping to enjoy or not enjoy something that they do not believe in. From this perspective what use an atheist makes of their supposed one and only life is irrelevant.
Apologies, I was still in comparison mode from an earlier comment to Jaiket. This is more of an attitudinal approach of a theist. :D Speaking in general "stereotypical" terms, of course.

Kindest Regards, Caimanson!
Not sure if I am misunderstanding, can you clarify what you mean by earning and striving.
Oh my! By "earning" in context, I was referring to the monotheist position of gaining grace either by faith, good works, or combination. As I look more closely, all major faiths that look to "after life" whether a version of heaven or rebirth, teach and stress the benefit of doing good in this life in order to earn favor (or more favor) in the after life.

As for "striving" in context, I was referring to my specific effort to do just that, earn my way to heaven by doing the best I know how with what I understand. :D

Quick nod to Paladin's observation.

His was a far more tactful way of saying what I was thinking. I do think a "thoughtful atheist" (in the raw sense of the term "atheist") is more properly an agnostic. And for what it is worth, in my humble opinion, an agnostic is more genuine in their scholarship, for the very reasons mentioned in the other thread ("CERTAINTY!").

Kindest Regards, Jaiket and others!

Hopefully I can begin to touch on some of this, but I see this going a long way before it ends. I only have a few minutes...
Juan, thanks for your response. I look forward to more detail, though it already has me thinking.
I've been looking pretty hard at some rather interesting materials over the last week or so. Lots of neat stuff about paintings on cave walls and skulls laid out "just so" on alters, dating back pretty far into the neolithic and paleolithic eras. At least 30 thousand years, and that's the conservative, establishment figures. Religion has been with humanity at least that long (probably much, much longer).

Which I find quite curious, why hunter-gatherers locked in the depths of an ice age struggling to kill their next meal find the time and make the effort to seek for "god." Logically, it is a frivolous waste of precious time and precious energy if there is nothing to it, if there is nothing to be gained. Random superstition is an inadequate answer, the pursuit of "god" is commonplace in every culture from antiquity, there are no ancient atheist cultures. Or at least, so it seems from the artifacts found. And if it is an hallucination (or some other like "mental" problem), then it is again uniformly distributed and comprises a very real part of our genetic make-up. Ergo, we are all insane, genetically, if the pervasiveness of the search for "god" is hallucinogenic or superstitious. (which begs the reference to the soapbox stander who cries out "the world is crazy! I'm the only sane one left!)

The search for "god" is far too complex an issue to be arrived at spuriously, and at a time in human development when frivolous effort was a luxury ill afforded. In short, there is too much circumstantial evidence to indicate a pervasive search for "god," at a time when frivolous and fraudulent effort was not practical and likely not well tolerated.

I suppose they could, now that the thought has been brought to my attention. I'm not certain I agree yet, but I can understand the premise.

We know a movie is a written script, and a book is already planned out and the ending will never change, but you can still be surprised if it's the first time it's read.
Perhaps. Of course, the story of a life is written as it unfolds, and the "writer" has control over the story. Well, most of it, anyway.

Yes. 'Despair' was used in the thread I mentioned. I wasn't trying to imply that fatalism in necessarily desperate.
I am most likely the one who used a word such as this to imply the futility of leading a life with no hope, nothing really to live for or look forward to. Perhaps that is my ignorance, perhaps not. Time will tell.

It seems to me the logical consequence of atheism is not believing in God. That's about it. Life goes on either way. Some people arrive at despair regardless of their declared belief. One cannot know God anyway except he/she is awakened to reality. Its not exactly something you can force on people. Just some thoughts to consider.
Perhaps, but a "logical" consequence of not believing in a "god" is that there is only the societal motivator for morality (e.g.: latent religious indoctrination). Once one realizes that, and withdraws from the societal motivator because it *is* linked to latent religious indoctrination, there is no more throttle to sustain a moral sway. Keep in mind I am referring to morality in a modern, civilized sense of the term. Logic would realize that self, and / or immediate circle (mate, possibly children only to a point), are what to value, defend and support. Could care less if others get theirs, gonna make sure "I" got enough (or more). Logic, in the absence of morality, tends to justify all of the base attributes of humanity. That's my basic point, and the reasoning behind the "despair" (or whatever it was) comment.

This too, is not explained well enough to my satisfaction, and in an effort to hurry I apologize if anything written seems insensitive. That is not the spirit or intent behind it. It is merely my personal observations.

Perhaps, but a "logical" consequence of not believing in a "god" is that there is only the societal motivator for morality (e.g.: latent religious indoctrination). Once one realizes that, and withdraws from the societal motivator because it *is* linked to latent religious indoctrination, there is no more throttle to sustain a moral sway. Keep in mind I am referring to morality in a modern, civilized sense of the term. Logic would realize that self, and / or immediate circle (mate, possibly children only to a point), are what to value, defend and support. Could care less if others get theirs, gonna make sure "I" got enough (or more). Logic, in the absence of morality, tends to justify all of the base attributes of humanity. That's my basic point, and the reasoning behind the "despair" (or whatever it was) comment.

I used to think that way too, that atheists could not justify their own morality. I now tend to think that we have a sense of morality in-built, that is beyond cultural or social indoctrination.
I think it is our natural capacity (and need) to care and to some extent love others, that establishes a 'natural' sense of morality. I think this is the way that religious and cultural morality arose in the first place.
One may object by looking at primitive cultures where all sorts of abominations occurred like human sacrifices, but I think to a great extent it is the relative cultural reference that distorts and changes what is acceptable and what isn't. If we look at our modern world, isn't it still perfectly acceptable to kill in a war in the name of god and country?

The problem with human beings is the duality of love and selfishness, the fact than we can hurt others does not impede that we can be hurt too. So the wise understood the problem and came up with laws and morals to control human destructiveness and emphasize wherever possible the constructive qualities. Otherwise you cannot build and order any society.

We intuitively know what is right and what isn't, nobody points a finger at a soldier that killed in war, yet how many soldiers end up severely traumatised and psychologically handicapped for life? this illustrates that if we harm others we may end up harming ourselves, this is the ultimate source of morality imo.
By protecting others we protect ourselves, why? because we are able to love.

I would hazard a guess, that when it is all said and done it really depends on what part of the elephant you have a grasp of. As Jaiket has opened the possibilty of agnosticism over atheism ( a position I find more readily defendable in a logical sense) we have at least the lofty position of the beginners mind working for us.
Even if all the orthodox ideas of God, the Universe and Everything are eschewed are we not still left with, as Suzuki always said "Things as it is?"
My point is that we can resolve all the gaps in our diverse philosophies and patch things together enough to be believable and still not have it all together.
For example, if an atheist holds to a model of human beings being connected in a neural network or collective unconscious then ethics would come naturally because we wouldn't want to do harm to the species in any way. This wouldn't equate the necessity for a God at all,even seen from the perspective of the scientific or mechanistic view of Man-as-Machine.
This would explain Cai's view of the "in-built" morals.
Ultimately we are probably made of the same substance that the rest of the universe is made of, and therefore share in the same qualities as it is, it is these qualities that are the area of contention for many of us.
Call it God, or merely Suchness and we can disagree, but does our contention negate what merely "is" ?

Peace

Mark

Kindest Regards, Caimanson!

Apologies for the delay in responding. The last few days have been a bit hectic to say the least.

I used to think that way too, that atheists could not justify their own morality. I now tend to think that we have a sense of morality in-built, that is beyond cultural or social indoctrination.
I think it is our natural capacity (and need) to care and to some extent love others, that establishes a 'natural' sense of morality. I think this is the way that religious and cultural morality arose in the first place.
We did look into this in the lengthy thread on morality in evolution. I do not disagree with you, but I do see a *huge* difference between "natural" morality and "learned" morality. For instance, in nature it is quite moral to kill one's offspring. I hardly think that is a moral thing in civilized society. There is also the issue of "us and them" at a natural level, the pack / herd / tribe does not necessarily extend moral courtesy to others of the same species if they are "outsiders." (In much the same way, I would think, that "we" foster the sense that the enemy is an "other" during wartime propaganda.) In other words, a "foreign" ape, for example, is quite likely to be ripped to shreds by a tribe of similar apes.

One may object by looking at primitive cultures where all sorts of abominations occurred like human sacrifices, but I think to a great extent it is the relative cultural reference that distorts and changes what is acceptable and what isn't.
I have no objections from an intellectual / philosophical pov. I understand this.

If we look at our modern world, isn't it still perfectly acceptable to kill in a war in the name of god and country?
I'm not certain how to draw this conclusion from the preceeding premise though...would you expand on this thought?

The problem with human beings is the duality of love and selfishness, the fact than we can hurt others does not impede that we can be hurt too. So the wise understood the problem and came up with laws and morals to control human destructiveness and emphasize wherever possible the constructive qualities. Otherwise you cannot build and order any society.
I like the observation about the "duality of love and selfishness" concept. I'm not sure I follow how "the wise" would understand and utilize to the benefit of society...it almost implies an outside / alien influence (hand of G-d, as it were). How does it fit with the understanding of the development of cultural anthrolopogy and prehistoric religious development?

We intuitively know what is right and what isn't, nobody points a finger at a soldier that killed in war, yet how many soldiers end up severely traumatised and psychologically handicapped for life? this illustrates that if we harm others we may end up harming ourselves, this is the ultimate source of morality imo.
In an intellectual manner, those that are (still) capable might self-reflect. Certainly in a day and age such as ours, where "peace" is the preferable norm. I am wondering how accurate this would be in a different scenario, one more closely aligned with nature, in which death is a very real part of everyday life? In such a case, again using the battle hardened soldier since it was brought up, there is no time for reflecting...there is only time for action and reaction. Time spent reflecting is to leave oneself open to threat of danger.

To carry this into a neolithic or paleolithic setting, one might not have time for reflection. Life would seem to me to be consumed in action and reaction. When one wasn't foraging for plants, stalking the next game animal or chipping stones into arrow or spearheads, one was dodging arrows slung by competing tribes or escaping from other predators (lions, tigers and bears, OH MY!). The amount of time that could be devoted to "leisure" must have been very limited, and the entire concept of leisure would have entailed far different things than we imagine anyway (no tv, radio, movies, ball games, books, etc). Likely what leisure time was available was spent star gazing and story telling. Out of star gazing and story telling somehow developed a need to paint on cave walls for more than mere decoration, and to carve figurines for more than mere idle time wasters and knick-knacks. In short, somebody realized the concept of sympathetic magic, and that it *works (ed)*.

As a Christian I obviously find the concept of magic to be somewhat unappealing, yet I cannot deny that prayer is an appeal for a spiritual intervention no different than painting a hopeful scene of a hunt as an appeal for a successful hunt by sympathetic magic.

By protecting others we protect ourselves, why? because we are able to love.
Ah, but what difference, if any, between animal love, and civilized human love? By "love" here I presume you mean something like the mother-child bond, or perhaps "brotherly" love, what might be better termed "compassion." I sense you do not mean sex.

Back