The relation of atheism to fatalism

Kindest Regards, Paladin!

Ah, the philosopher at work!
I would hazard a guess, that when it is all said and done it really depends on what part of the elephant you have a grasp of.
I like this.

As Jaiket has opened the possibilty of agnosticism over atheism ( a position I find more readily defendable in a logical sense) we have at least the lofty position of the beginners mind working for us.
Indeed.

Even if all the orthodox ideas of God, the Universe and Everything are eschewed are we not still left with, as Suzuki always said "Things as it is?"
I am not familiar with this by Suzuki, yet I have pondered the same and have come to call what is "the IS." Which, by my understanding, is the objective reality behind all subjective observations and philosophical musings of reality.

My point is that we can resolve all the gaps in our diverse philosophies and patch things together enough to be believable and still not have it all together.
I agree. I think it was Thomas who recently pointed out how an argument can be logical, and still not be true because it is based on a faulty premise.

For example, if an atheist holds to a model of human beings being connected in a neural network or collective unconscious then ethics would come naturally because we wouldn't want to do harm to the species in any way. This wouldn't equate the necessity for a God at all,even seen from the perspective of the scientific or mechanistic view of Man-as-Machine.
This would explain Cai's view of the "in-built" morals.
Ah, Jung so soon? Would we include achetypal symbolism too? Yet, the "in-built" morals and archetypal symbols, with their shared meanings, had to come from somewhere. Perhaps it is beyond our ability to establish "where" exactly, but they did have a beginning.

Ultimately we are probably made of the same substance that the rest of the universe is made of, and therefore share in the same qualities as it is, it is these qualities that are the area of contention for many of us.
Call it God, or merely Suchness and we can disagree, but does our contention negate what merely "is" ?
I find it amazing how close you and I are in this. I sense "G-d" in a Christian sense, because that is the sense I am familiar with. Had I been born Buddhist, would I sense "G-d" in some other manner, or not sense "G-d" at all?

Kindest Regards, Jaiket!

I am almost certain in my belief that a significant part of what we call morals are genetic based.
I don't think they've found a morality gene yet. Although what you are alluding to seems to fall more in the realm, if I understand correctly, of "epigenetics."

We did look into this in the lengthy thread on morality in evolution. I do not disagree with you, but I do see a *huge* difference between "natural" morality and "learned" morality. For instance, in nature it is quite moral to kill one's offspring. I hardly think that is a moral thing in civilized society.

By natural you mean animal in general or do you include "natural" humans as well?
Gosh, just thought of the 'civilised' baby disposal by the Spartans.:eek:

There is also the issue of "us and them" at a natural level, the pack / herd / tribe does not necessarily extend moral courtesy to others of the same species if they are "outsiders." (In much the same way, I would think, that "we" foster the sense that the enemy is an "other" during wartime propaganda.) In other words, a "foreign" ape, for example, is quite likely to be ripped to shreds by a tribe of similar apes.

Agree completely, but hey I never suggested that human morality was the same as a mystical or enlightened love!

I like the observation about the "duality of love and selfishness" concept. I'm not sure I follow how "the wise" would understand and utilize to the benefit of society...it almost implies an outside / alien influence (hand of G-d, as it were). How does it fit with the understanding of the development of cultural anthrolopogy and prehistoric religious development?

What I mean is that gradually, the rulers and leaders of those primitive societies realised that it was convenient to have these laws and morals. Partly out of awareness and partly out of pragmatism, for the preservation of the group and perhaps to increase their power and control.
And I don't think it is any different today for small or big groups of any kind.
Just my opinion.

Of course there is also room for those early religious people that through their spiritual experiences had "revelation" of what is good.:) Those people probably had more time to stand back and reflect than the average ruler.

That is the interesting thing for me, what kind of morals are we talking about, the selfless unconditional love of the mystic, or the more down to earth sense of what is good?

I'm ready to be persuaded that my life is one of fatalism and despair if someone can actually provide proof.

I have never been convinced by the arguments for the idea of determinism in individual human behavior, so fatalism is out. I have more than enough hope and joy in my life to counteract the moments of despair.

And while it's a historical fact that most people have exhibited behavior that can rightly be called religious, the aditional historical fact of "fundamentalist" atheists, who completely reject any claim of supernatural beings and still live lives of meaning and joy, also cannot be ignored by anyone of integrity.

Now what?

I have met few atheists who have examined their beliefs and arrived at anything short of life-affirming positivity. 'Without purposes and immortality, there is no reason not to live a happy, full life, to pursue our dreams and to treat others well'.

What then would have people believe that this is a valid assesment?

If the atheist takes the view that life is an end-in-itself, then the reason to live a happy, full life, to pursue dreams, and all that, is precisely to accomplish this goal. Life is both the means and the reward.

I am an atheist, and I do not despair. While I do not wish to die just yet, I can die knowing that I have had the marvelous experience of being alive. I don't believe my past existence is erased by my death any more than it is erased by each new conscious moment -- it will have happened, and that is enough.

eudaimonia,

Mark

I don't think they've found a morality gene yet. Although what you are alluding to seems to fall more in the realm, if I understand correctly, of "epigenetics."
I don't think a morality gene is likely to be found. Genes that program/influence human minds to percieve cheating, killing tribe members, etc as 'bad' may have been selected for, in the same sense that genes that encourage staying put while predators abound would be selected against. Something relatively simple like that strikes me as likely.

Jaiket said:
What then would have people believe that this is a valid assesment?
Just a note to clarify. The 'this' I referred to is 'this' below:

A couple of posters in another thread mentioned that fatalism/despair is the logical consequence of atheism.
In case anyone misunderstood and read the question differently.

Ah, Liberty,

Perhaps you are not a drive by after all...of course it remains to be seen, considering previous tactics.
I'm ready to be persuaded that my life is one of fatalism and despair if someone can actually provide proof.
Somehow I doubt proof would convince you, by your previous example. That of baiting for an answer, and then ignoring that answer after it is given. Can't say you didn't see it, I caught you reading it myself. You know, the reply in the "Word of G-d" thread (and follow on in the Aristotle / Aquinas thread)...for which I am still awaiting a response. Such carefree abuse of the manners of debate make it uninteresting to continue... Perhaps if you would indulge a person by actually responding to their hard, probing questions, there might be some inducement to continue. Otherwise, what sense in a one-sided discussion?

Kindest Regards, Caimanson!
By natural you mean animal in general or do you include "natural" humans as well?
Gosh, just thought of the 'civilised' baby disposal by the Spartans.:eek:
Good question, and one that would serve us well as we continue. Generally, I do think in terms of "animal morality" when I use the term *natural* in this context. As for Sparta...see how we cannot make absolute statements regarding morality? But then, this is no small wonder, it is a struggle in anthropology as a whole...one deals with generalities in the face of many exceptions. But the entire premise of taking morality back into a *natural / animal* model was to see if there was merit to some religious teachings that promote the merit in *nature.* It is very difficult when in a modern moral context, to try to understand a natural moral model because it seems so alien and counter-intuitive.

I never suggested that human morality was the same as a mystical or enlightened love!
Nor did I. I do think love plays a crucial role, but it is quite distinct from morality. I just haven't figured out the relationship between love and morality, let alone logic. I add logic here in reference to earlier comment, and because logic is counter-intuitive to love on frequent occasion.

What I mean is that gradually, the rulers and leaders of those primitive societies realised that it was convenient to have these laws and morals. Partly out of awareness and partly out of pragmatism, for the preservation of the group and perhaps to increase their power and control.
And I don't think it is any different today for small or big groups of any kind.
Just my opinion.
Well, we have the dawn of history; the fertile crescent of Mesopotamia and the wide-spread adoption of the agrarian lifestyle in combination with some of the earliest walled fortifications, the learning of war as an art, the development of the wheel and working of metals, and the first written languages (cuneiform). And it was from this basis that the first written codified moral laws were written: the Code of Hammurabi.

Prior to this, during pre-historic time (before writing), we can only guess by various artifacts. So while your points about power, pragmatism and preservation are pretty well founded by *historic" bases, it is conjecture when applied to pre-history. And I think, if we can use shamanic and tribal examples from today as any kind of corollary, that this is a very western view that is foreign to the tribal social structures of pre-history. Not counting, what effect did agriculture have on the human psyche? Grain is *not* a normal diet, evolutionarily speaking, for humans. So it is justifiable to hold the neolithic mind to a different standard than our own.

Having said this, it is still quite curious why the extended and uniform effort to reach towards some Divine element, if no Divine element exists?

Of course there is also room for those early religious people that through their spiritual experiences had "revelation" of what is good.:) Those people probably had more time to stand back and reflect than the average ruler.
Perhaps. Yet, acknowledgement of "spiritual experiences" almost precludes any real semblence of atheism, does it not? Acknowledgement of spirit almost de facto rules for G-d, does it not?

That is the interesting thing for me, what kind of morals are we talking about, the selfless unconditional love of the mystic, or the more down to earth sense of what is good?
You raise a further distinction I had not earlier considered. How would you distinguish between the two kinds of morality?

Kindest Regards, Eudaimonist!
If the atheist takes the view that life is an end-in-itself, then the reason to live a happy, full life, to pursue dreams, and all that, is precisely to accomplish this goal. Life is both the means and the reward.
Very well, and I did respond to this general point already earlier. If you are content with this summation in accord with your heart and mind, more power to ya! I simply find more circumstantial evidence to support my belief that there is something out there, the IS. Whether or not it is the Christian concept of G-d, I often wonder, no doubt to the chagrin of my fellows. I certainly do not view G-d, as bb puts it, as some old grey beard sitting on a cloud hurling thunderbolts at whoever displeases Him. Nor likewise some aged tites in the sky either, hurling whatever temper tantrum at whoever displeases Her. I *do* think that the general Christian depiction of G-d is overly simplistic. I also think that none of the world faiths do much better in this regard, that G-d is simply too big for a human mind to completely fathom. Yet, all of these religions *point to* what IS. And, in my assessment after long years of diligent searching, I have concluded that G-d IS. Can I prove it? No. It is merely the weight of circumstantial evidence bearing on my critical processes.

I don't think a morality gene is likely to be found. Genes that program/influence human minds to percieve cheating, killing tribe members, etc as 'bad' may have been selected for, in the same sense that genes that encourage staying put while predators abound would be selected against. Something relatively simple like that strikes me as likely.
Perhaps, but I am inclined to go with the genome researchers on matters concerning the genome. People like Francis Collins. Seems I recall Mr. Collins stating emphatically and for the record, that there were no *behavior* genes as such. What I alluded to with epigenetics, which I only recently learned of, is that it is within that realm that behaviors can be shown to affect multiple generations following. Say, for example, alcoholism; one alky in the family can trigger similar behavior for several generations. Perhaps, in a tribal / family way, there is some merit to your point about moral behavior being passed on through some mechanism not unlike epigenetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM
It seems to me the logical consequence of atheism is not believing in God. That's about it. Life goes on either way. Some people arrive at despair regardless of their declared belief. One cannot know God anyway except he/she is awakened to reality. Its not exactly something you can force on people. Just some thoughts to consider.

jauntoo3 said:
Perhaps, but a "logical" consequence of not believing in a "god" is that there is only the societal motivator for morality (e.g.: latent religious indoctrination). Once one realizes that, and withdraws from the societal motivator because it *is* linked to latent religious indoctrination, there is no more throttle to sustain a moral sway. Keep in mind I am referring to morality in a modern, civilized sense of the term. Logic would realize that self, and / or immediate circle (mate, possibly children only to a point), are what to value, defend and support. Could care less if others get theirs, gonna make sure "I" got enough (or more). Logic, in the absence of morality, tends to justify all of the base attributes of humanity. That's my basic point, and the reasoning behind the "despair" (or whatever it was) comment.

Perhaps your logical cosequence of reasoning is flawed. Since when did a lack of belief in God affect man's reasoning. To value others has much to do with reason and intellect which in some ways inhibits a true search beyond the boundaries of itself for God until it has exhausted itself. Dispair is not the result of not believing in God but rather derived from a view of hopelessness and apathy. Reason and understanding itself can assure one of a meaningful life. In which case wisdom usually dictates ones actions. Accepting a belief in God does not eliminate despair especially if one sees God as condemning. Just a view for you to consider 123.

Love in Christ,
JM

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, JosephM!
Quote:
Perhaps your logical cosequence of reasoning is flawed.
That is always a possibility.

Since when did a lack of belief in God affect man's reasoning.
I don't recall making a statement to this effect...I do think it is pretty obvious people can think and reason with or without belief in G-d. In fact, I may stray so far as to suggest that many atheists are so *because* of reasoning, and that many believers lose faith by reasoning. The question then comes around to the quality of the reasoning...reasoning alone is insufficient if it is misguided or incomplete.

To value others has much to do with reason and intellect which in some ways inhibits a true search beyond the boundaries of itself for God until it has exhausted itself.
I'm afraid I do not follow what you are trying to say...valuing others is *not dependent* on reason or intellect, despite Randian objectivism. We, as humans, place a value even on our dead; not a material value but a psycho-spiritual value. Would you not agree that one's dead grandmother is worth more than the $2.98 worth of raw materials and organic compounds and a couple of liters of water? I do not follow about "exhausting itself" and "boundaries."

Dispair is not the result of not believing in God but rather derived from a view of hopelessness and apathy.
Agreed.

Reason and understanding itself can assure one of a meaningful life.
"Itself?" I have already acquiesced that perhaps this is a view I overlooked, are we to keep hounding on one point to the exclusion of all others? It still does not negate the overwhelming search by neolithic humanity for G-d, nor does it prove conclusively the atheist POV. The *only* thing it does, is say that despair is not contingent upon belief in afterlife / rebirth, therefore atheists are not by default destined to despair.

Even Babe Ruth struck out once in awhile, get over it guys and move on.

In which case wisdom usually dictates ones actions.
Yet, one *should* recognize that "wisdom" is a relative term. Is it wise to overlook things that disagree with your view point?

Accepting a belief in God does not eliminate despair especially if one sees God as condemning.
At no time did I ever suggest anything like this. It would be nice if words were not put into my mouth, please. There's isn't much room when my feet are there too.

Just a view for you to consider 123.
Thank you.

Quote: JosephM
To value others has much to do with reason and intellect which in some ways inhibits a true search beyond the boundaries of itself for God until it has exhausted itself.
123 said:
I'm afraid I do not follow what you are trying to say...valuing others is *not dependent* on reason or intellect, despite Randian objectivism. We, as humans, place a value even on our dead; not a material value but a psycho-spiritual value. Would you not agree that one's dead grandmother is worth more than the $2.98 worth of raw materials and organic compounds and a couple of liters of water? I do not follow about "exhausting itself" and "boundaries."

Greeting 123,

OK. I'll try again.
Sound Intellect and reasoning tell us we need each other to survive and enjoy the fruits that life has to offer. Therefore it is sufficient, if sound, to keep us from despair and will extend our values beyond the confines of our immediate family. Yet on the same hand reasoning has its limitations in that God cannot be experienced with reasoning. One can of course believe and know 'about God' through conceptualization but all concepts have to be surrendered to 'know God'. Therefore I implied that reasoning has boundaries that one must transcend to experience God. For those well entrenched in reasoning it appears to be difficult to go beyond because reasoning, itself is a barrier to that which is beyond it.

Best Wishes,
JM

Again 123,

Concerning the rest of the post. I was only responding to your comment from my original post way back. I must admit I did not read the posts after that. Also was not putting words into your mouth as supposed but it is alright if you see it that way. I was merely speaking my view which may or may not agree with yours. In no way do I wish to prove or is it possible to prove you wrong. We are speaking of things that cannot be proved and as you know.....thats why this is called the philosophy forum. :)

Best Wishes,
JM

PS As you can see from my post #30 on this thread. I ended it with "Just a view for you to consider 123." Tearing it apart into sentences can cause it to be interpreted differently.(It was not given as an attack on your words or to put words in your mouth but of course you are the one that determines how it is taken.)

Last edited:
Sound Intellect and reasoning tell us we need each other to survive and enjoy the fruits that life has to offer.
Hmmm, I am thinking someone like H.D. Thoreau might take exception to this; Waldon Pond was specifically an exercise in "self-reliance." While I can agree life is far easier with others one can depend on, life is also a bigger pain in the arse with others one cannot depend on. So I question the "sound" part of the assessment, it implies a loner (a "do-it-yourselfer) is by default not of sound intellect and reasoning ability and incapable of enjoying life.

Therefore it is sufficient, if sound, to keep us from despair and will extend our values beyond the confines of our immediate family.
Since the initial premise is faulty to begin with, it really doesn't follow. However, presuming a sound mind (which has no bearing at all on preference for solitude), should keep us from despair...OK, that to me says if you are mentally healthy, you are mentally healthy; actually a bit redundant. I do not see where mental health (or lack of) has to do with extending values beyond family, at least in the case of the aforementioned loner. In other words, so far, I'm afraid I see a lot of disconnected associations that are being forcibly brought together in an attempt to make a point.

Yet on the same hand reasoning has its limitations in that God cannot be experienced with reasoning.
I'm not certain I agree. I can reason (about) G-d. There are countless sacred writings that reason about G-d. Yet, I *can* experience G-d without reasoning about G-d. Again, reason and experience are not connected even when relating to the same issue / topic.

Example: I can read a book on how to build a house, or I can pick up a hammer and build a house. Reading is reason(ing), building is experience(ing). It helps if the two work together, but it is not required; they are not connected, but can be brought together.

One can of course believe and know 'about God' through conceptualization but all concepts have to be surrendered to 'know God'.
From a reasoning POV this is conjecture. A lot depends on what exactly one means by "know." Hypothetically, I can know about G-d by reading sacred texts, certainly this is the path a great many take. Alternately, I can know about G-d by living as I understand and experience, this is a path others take. Ideally, reason and experience come torgether, and a better knowledge of G-d is realized by doing both. With the caveat that we really won't know with certainty until we die, yet in this life we can experience many things that supercede reason.

Therefore I implied that reasoning has boundaries that one must transcend to experience God.
I see these as apples and oranges. And actually, transcending reason (as in setting it aside or going beyond reason) is not necessary. Unless one is pointing to those elements of life that reason alone is insufficient to address.

For those well entrenched in reasoning it appears to be difficult to go beyond because reasoning, itself is a barrier to that which is beyond it.
Now I think I see where you are going, and I don't think I agree.

Even an athiest can experience G-d. S/he just doesn't realize it, or know how to deal with it. For many, it is easier to rationalize things, to label them and place them in appropriate boxes. In that sense, maybe you are correct, those that are bound by their intellect are seldom free enough in their minds to allow an experience with G-d.

Concerning the rest of the post. I was only responding to your comment from my original post way back. I must admit I did not read the posts after that. Also was not putting words into your mouth as supposed but it is alright if you see it that way. I was merely speaking my view which may or may not agree with yours. In no way do I wish to prove or is it possible to prove you wrong. We are speaking of things that cannot be proved and as you know.....thats why this is called the philosophy forum. :)
That's OK, I really didn't sense any ill intent, perhaps my words came out more harshly than I intended. You are quite free in my view to disagree with me. (Bet 'cha don't hear that very often)

PS As you can see from my post #30 on this thread. I ended it with "Just a view for you to consider 123." Tearing it apart into sentences can cause it to be interpreted differently.(It was not given as an attack on your words or to put words in your mouth but of course you are the one that determines how it is taken.)
Taking it point by point is not an attack, it is a rebuttal. To rebutt so thoroughly is to examine the legitimacy of the argument. I did not consider your words as an attack, I certainly hope you do not view my disagreement and thorough rebuttal as an attack. :)

Quote:
Sound Intellect and reasoning tell us we need each other to survive and enjoy the fruits that life has to offer.

Hmmm, I am thinking someone like H.D. Thoreau might take exception to this; Waldon Pond was specifically an exercise in "self-reliance." While I can agree life is far easier with others one can depend on, life is also a bigger pain in the arse with others one cannot depend on. So I question the "sound" part of the assessment, it implies a loner (a "do-it-yourselfer) is by default not of sound intellect and reasoning ability and incapable of enjoying life.

You are indeed picky with words...:) There are always unstated exceptions to any statement but even Thoreau and Pond could not have enjoyed their later solitude if it were not for others during their earlier years. No man is a world unto himself.

Quote:JosephM
Therefore it is sufficient, if sound, to keep us from despair and will extend our values beyond the confines of our immediate family.
123 said:
Since the initial premise is faulty to begin with, it really doesn't follow. However, presuming a sound mind (which has no bearing at all on preference for solitude), should keep us from despair...OK, that to me says if you are mentally healthy, you are mentally healthy; actually a bit redundant. I do not see where mental health (or lack of) has to do with extending values beyond family, at least in the case of the aforementioned loner. In other words, so far, I'm afraid I see a lot of disconnected associations that are being forcibly brought together in an attempt to make a point.

My ... My... We are touchy here on the philosopy forum. I think I will yield and forgo the details of challenging your assesment. One sees diconnection where another see connection. I have no need to defend my view.

Yet on the same hand reasoning has its limitations in that God cannot be experienced with reasoning.
123 said:
I'm not certain I agree. I can reason (about) G-d. There are countless sacred writings that reason about G-d. Yet, I *can* experience G-d without reasoning about G-d. Again, reason and experience are not connected even when relating to the same issue / topic

That is quite well 123. Agreement was never sought in the first place. Was merely clarifying my original statement you said you didn't understand.

123 said:
Example: I can read a book on how to build a house, or I can pick up a hammer and build a house. Reading is reason(ing), building is experience(ing). It helps if the two work together, but it is not required; they are not connected, but can be brought together.

Some indeed logically do equate building a house with experiencing God. Yet I find the two do not mix well. Yet that is fine if that is your view.

One can of course believe and know 'about God' through conceptualization but all concepts have to be surrendered to 'know God'.
123 said:
From a reasoning POV this is conjecture. A lot depends on what exactly one means by "know." Hypothetically, I can know about G-d by reading sacred texts, certainly this is the path a great many take. Alternately, I can know about G-d by living as I understand and experience, this is a path others take. Ideally, reason and experience come torgether, and a better knowledge of G-d is realized by doing both. With the caveat that we really won't know with certainty until we die, yet in this life we can experience many things that supercede reason.

It will always be conjecture from a reasoning POV. Didn't mean to reason with you. Only clarifying my view from your question.

Therefore I implied that reasoning has boundaries that one must transcend to experience God.
123 said:
I see these as apples and oranges. And actually, transcending reason (as in setting it aside or going beyond reason) is not necessary. Unless one is pointing to those elements of life that reason alone is insufficient to address.

I think you got it here. Reason alone is insufficient to address it

For those well entrenched in reasoning it appears to be difficult to go beyond because reasoning, itself is a barrier to that which is beyond it.
123 said:
Now I think I see where you are going, and I don't think I agree.

Even an athiest can experience G-d. S/he just doesn't realize it, or know how to deal with it. For many, it is easier to rationalize things, to label them and place them in appropriate boxes. In that sense, maybe you are correct, those that are bound by their intellect are seldom free enough in their minds to allow an experience with G-d.

Very Nice 123. You got it. Perhaps I am correct. It really doesn't matter. No one 'here' is keeping score. Are you? In the future it might be good to consider it all as one rather than dissecting content instead of context.
Muchos Gracias Amigo,

JM

Taking it point by point is not an attack, it is a rebuttal. To rebutt so thoroughly is to examine the legitimacy of the argument. I did not consider your words as an attack, I certainly hope you do not view my disagreement and thorough rebuttal as an attack. :)

Ignorant me...:eek: I didn't realize this was a debate or argument. I thought people were just sharing views. Sorry, I'm just a KY hillbilly and out of place here on the philosophy forum. Didn't realize we were suppose to agree or disagree. hmmmm. :) Learn something new here every day.

Thanks for the exchange 123. I like and enjoyed sharing but you sure work em hard here. :)

In love,
JM

This thread has moved too far away from it's original intent for my post to be part of the discussion.

Is there another, more current thread I could join?

Perhaps, but I am inclined to go with the genome researchers on matters concerning the genome. People like Francis Collins. Seems I recall Mr. Collins stating emphatically and for the record, that there were no *behavior* genes as such.
I can only assume Mr Collins was having a bad day, or the statement is not what it seems.

Juan said:
What I alluded to with epigenetics, which I only recently learned of, is that it is within that realm that behaviors can be shown to affect multiple generations following. Say, for example, alcoholism; one alky in the family can trigger similar behavior for several generations. Perhaps, in a tribal / family way, there is some merit to your point about moral behavior being passed on through some mechanism not unlike epigenetics.
I haven't learned a great deal about epigenetics, though it seems like an interesting and attention-worthy subject. Cheers.

Very well, and I did respond to this general point already earlier. If you are content with this summation in accord with your heart and mind, more power to ya! I simply find more circumstantial evidence to support my belief that there is something out there, the IS. Whether or not it is the Christian concept of G-d, I often wonder, no doubt to the chagrin of my fellows. I certainly do not view G-d, as bb puts it, as some old grey beard sitting on a cloud hurling thunderbolts at whoever displeases Him. Nor likewise some aged tites in the sky either, hurling whatever temper tantrum at whoever displeases Her. I *do* think that the general Christian depiction of G-d is overly simplistic. I also think that none of the world faiths do much better in this regard, that G-d is simply too big for a human mind to completely fathom. Yet, all of these religions *point to* what IS. And, in my assessment after long years of diligent searching, I have concluded that G-d IS. Can I prove it? No. It is merely the weight of circumstantial evidence bearing on my critical processes.

Huh? :confused: What does this have to do with what I wrote? I was talking about atheists being able to have meaning in life, and suddenly you are talking on a completely different topic.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Back