Save Nazanin

sara[h]ng

Reaction score
There is an 18 year old Iranian girl currently awaiting a retrial. Last January, she was sentenced to death for the self defense killing of one of the men that tried to rape her and her 15 year old niece. Human rights groups including the UN, the EU, and Amnesty International are currently pressuring Iranian officials to prevent her execution.

There is an online petition at :: Help Nazanin Fatehi ::

And here is a link to a short video about the case. I didn't watch the whole thing, I had tears after about thirty seconds.

Save Nazanin Fatehi

Come on guys, at least have a look at the information about her case. It wont take you long, and it could save a life.

Hi Cav:
I did and it's so sad. But we're dealing with a radicalized legal system here that steadfastly follows the "eye for an eye" doctrine . She's just another victim of unfettered extremism, but I signed up anyway. Let's just hope that there's some sort of moderating intervention somehow. But I'd be really surprised if that happens.

flow....:(

Yeah, me too, but it's not like signing the petition is hard work. If nothing happens then nothing happens, but that's no reason for someone to shy away from taking a minute out of their lives to put their name down.

It's just awful.

There are countless people in countries all over the world suffering very similar things to this. Sometimes it feels futile to sign something like this, but it's still important.

This is a shameless pushing of this thread back to the top where more eyes will see it. ;)

Thanks, S.

I ask God every morning to show me something I can do to help people.

Found it today - signed.

Mark

Signed!

Hey Prober, how can you be Mark when I"M Mark...no wait Eudaimonist is Mark... I mean....uh...AUUUUGHHH!!

:)

Re: Update

Let's see if we can get the media to follow this! ;)

Retrial for girl due to hang for killing rapist

By Martin Croucher
Published: 07 January 2007
A 19-year-old girl sentenced to death by hanging in Iran last year is to be retried on Wednesday after a Canadian singer launched an international campaign to save her.

Nazanin Fatehi was sentenced to death a year ago, on 3 January 2006, after admitting having stabbed to death one of three men who tried to rape her and a 16-year-old relative. She was 17 at the time.

continued at link....

Nazanin Retrial Update

Jan 10 : Nazanin Trial Update
Source APTN (Associated Press)

The court proceedings were supposed to begin at 10:30 local time (07:00 GMT). There was a 2-hour delay due to the massive interest (there were over 200 people cramming to get into the courthouse).

Proceedings, as a result, were carried out in an adjacent amphitheatre. There were four judges presiding over the hearings plus Nazanin's two lawyers. Nazanin's lawyers did most of the speaking, but she presented her side of the story briefly as well.

The court's decision: what Nazanin did was not premeditated murder. The judges added that the previous court's verdict was partly based on unreliable and inaccurate testimony.

The court did not go as far as staying the execution today. But the family expects a formal letter to that effect in the coming days.

Despite the absence of a formal repudiation today, this is very positive news, no doubt, and the family is quite hopeful.

NAJ:

Nazanin's lawyer, Shadi Sadr, said that we must remain cautious until the written verdict is provided in a few days time. Until we receive the written verdict in hand, we encourage everyone to sign the petition and spread awareness of the situation.

Jan 14 : FANTASTIC NEWS: NAZANIN EXONERATED BUT...
Nazanin Afshin-Jam and Mina Ahadi spoke with Nazanin Fatehi's lawyers today regarding her retrial that took place on January 10th 2007.

They have received verbal confirmation from the court that she will be exonerated from the charge of murder. The incident that took place in March 2005 has been recognized as an act of self-defense, however the court has ruled that disproportionate force was used by Nazanin while trying to defend herself and her 15-year old niece. Accordingly, they have asked Nazanin to pay “dieh” (blood money) to receive a pardon from the family of the deceased. Once this amount is paid, Nazanin can be released from prison. :mad:

Shadi Sadr and Mr. Mostafaei, Nazanin Fatehi's laywers, are appealing this blood money because they believe that Nazanin is innocent for acting in self-defense and therefore she should not have to pay any money. Unfortunately, this appeal may take several months, so in the meantime arrangements may be made to have Nazanin released from prison by paying “bail” money into court.

Formal documentation should be available within days, including further details and specifics like the cost of bail and the cost of blood money.

Dieh? So this price would be? Obviously not death... but I mean what has to happen?

like if it's whipping, lashings, cutting or some kind of torture I'd take her place and pay what is apparently "owed" Torture is a walk in the park ;/

Or is it physical material money? We could like all chip in a buck ;\

Back