A Buddhist monk make you feel good ?

Well, Flow, one could try to explain the "it" psychologically, spiritually, via the subtle energy fields, etc. but what it says to me about "it" is that again, "it" is not confined to any given religious orientation but rather it is the Divine core of "it all.";) :) earl

as u all probably know there are supposedly energies within the body which are manifested via spiritual practises, and some ppl can consciously channel these energies, and theres quite a few of them about, especially in tibetan traditions, I have noticed, and ppl who go for "empowerments" and suchlike talk about this "it".. however, this energy, if u dont have it, can't be acquired so easily, although u can have some transmitted to u it usually wears off, rather, it is an energy which is purely spiritual, and u have to have a specific type of experience before the energy is known to u and then u have to practise so that u can harness it, and it takes years for u to find the key which unlocks the door to it... tibetans call it thingli (sp?), some ppl call it chi, some ppl say it is the holy spirit, some ppl say it is prana, some ppl feel it is true communion with the divine, yet its not just about fasting or breathing exersises messing about with ur physiology or using psychoactive drugs, but something far more refined, the harnessing of ur very own inner power.

a while ago I was at a talk, given by a buddhist group, and we were given envelopes to put our donation in, and then we were supposed to give the head honcho our donations and he would give us a blessing... I had previously met this monk, briefly, once or twice, although I always attempted to avoid him as I knew he had some crazy abilities as I have some myself, and so did not want a blessing from him, so he blessed my partner instead, who I sent up with the donation, and when he came back I touched his arm and felt a little of the enegy of the monk, and yes, whatever "it" is, he had it... the greatest bit was asking my non buddhist partner whether he had felt anything, and he said- nope! hahahaha... I wasn't looking for anything, incidentally, from the talk, I go to everyone's roadshows, to check out the competition, so to speak, and am not the most airy fairy type of person, and am not easily fooled either, yet, in my humble opinion, some ppl do have this "it".... okay, maybe oftentimes it is a projection, like transference, the eager novitiate's teary eyes causing the nimbus above the head of the man, who she feels is a saint, for instance, but I have this energy myself too, and can recognise it in others also, although I can't project mine like that, obviously, and when ppl stand next to me I dont radiate anything but cheap parfum...lol

Don't know how many folk caught a certain apparent point in let alone maybe read that article you pointed us to, Flow, but as I was originally intimating in my first response was that article to me was saying that, though those fine examples of Buddhist, Hindu, and Christian humanity all seemed to manifest a special "it factor," seems to me it was implying it was the same "it" regardless of what package it arrived in. :D earl

Hi guys and thanks for your thoughts.

Like you Earl I was fascinated by the cross-cultural aspects of the "it" thingy, especially among religious individuals of several faiths.

I've run across these kinds of beings and have even shaken hands with and met a prominent Cardinal of the Roman Church and also the Dalai Lama years ago. I would call it a sort of gentle power projection of a virtual presence that we all seek yet stand in awe of, but seldom come into contact with, if that makes any sense to you.

When I have experienced "it" in a solitary mode in mystical occurrences, "it" made me write things that I had not previously considered and then prodded me to share my words with others, usually to my eventual detriment. I've been engaged in just such an "episode" since last March, and I've already had to pay a lot spiritually. It's a very complex thing to deal with while trying to carry on my usual life. I sense that you too, Francis, have experienced similar times in your life.

Thanks again for responding.

flow....:cool:

"The Dalai Lama is leader of the world's Buddhists" - LA Times.

Is that so?

Mind you, at this precise moment on Wikipedia I see Tenzin Gyatso is also known as Bob.

s.

Snoopy:

Is that the Bob dude who's in so many TV commercials these days. Maybe it's Sponge Bob Square Pants...huh ?

The LA Times is in turmoil over here. It really is one of the best news sheets in the USA over the past 100 years. But it has lost its managing editor and publisher in the past few months because of corporate turmoil and cost cutting by and at its owner, The Tribune Corp. Let's hope they get it all straightened out and they cease making inaccurate oversights such as this.

Of course the Dalai Lama today is the leader of the Tibetan Buddhist community in exile, but I believe most of us look upon him as an equivalent to the Pope in Rome or the Ecumenical Patriarch in Istanbul with regard to Buddhism in general, even though that may be a wholly inaccurate perception among global observers.

flow....;)

Maybe it's Sponge Bob Square Pants...huh ?

You know, I think you may be on to something. Have you noticed that you never see the two of them together at the same time? HUH HUH??? Spookeee......

s.

This is just too wierd. I was just thinking of old Sponge-Bob! I'm cereal. On Saturday morning.

So, I click on the Buddhist board, thinking that I will gain some great bit of insight, and what do I find. Sponge-Bob. But since I was just thinking of him (or them, whichever the case may be), is it simply karma?

Okay, I'm just having a little fun (but I really was thinking of Sponge-Bob, for some reason.)

I actually wanted to comment that I wonder if any Buddhist monk would agree that he could make you feel good. Wouldn't that be something that would be up to you?

I know that I've been making a little joke, here, and I hope it wasn't disrespectful. I apologize if it was--I'm not very learned when it comes to Buddhism, but I am very interested.

InPeace,
InLove

I actually wanted to comment that I wonder if any Buddhist monk would agree that he could make you feel good. Wouldn't that be something that would be up to you?
I know that I've been making a little joke, here, and I hope it wasn't disrespectful. I apologize if it was--I'm not very learned when it comes to Buddhism, but I am very interested.

InPeace,
InLove

Hi,

You'll have to try a lot harder than this if you want to appear disrespectful!
Not that I'm a Buddhist monk you understand, but I might presume to say simply that a Buddhist monk might offer to tell you about Buddhist teachings if you expressed an interest in them. The monk might say that they are intended as a means of finding happiness; tools if you like. But as you say, it is up to you to find happiness - the monk may only offer you tools. But your comment about cereal and Saturday morning is too weird for me to understand!

s.

I'm glad I wasn't disrespectful. "Whew"

I think that my "cereal" comment may come from my age and location. A colloquialism that is so old no one remembers it but me! Anyway--people sometimes use "serial" for "serious". Don't ask me why, we just do. It is supposed to be funny. So, me, being even stranger, and linking cartoons to Saturday mornings and cereal...

Come to think of it, Snoopy--you are absolutely right--it was wierd! :)

InPeace,
InLove

You know, I think you may be on to something. Have you noticed that you never see the two of them together at the same time? HUH HUH??? Spookeee......

s.

In folk culture, especially among the ancients, the deity is/was thought to be a shape-shifter. Several Jesus stories seem to confirm this.

I really do not see why Sponge Bob Square Pants might not be a part of all this, even if he seems to be an animated illusion and lives at the bottom of the sea. Some of my best friends live at the bottom of the sea...blub...blub....flow....;)

It sounds to me like the "it" is charisma. Adolf Hitler had "it" as well.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Yeah but depends what kind of charisma your talking about.

I have a theory that I have been working on for afew years now, not prepared to give the full details yet though but I think it's an effective method of relief a range of symptoms from depression, anxiety, tiredness, lowered immune, anorexia, excessive eating, migraines, headaches.

Scientists discovered that people born at certain times of the year are more lucky then others. May and July are the luckiest months and something like September is the unluckiest.

So I guess the obvious reason for this is the weather condition of the time of birth. The body has a natural 24hr cycle which evolved under the influence of the earths 24hr day and night cycle, it releases the right chemicals at the right time of day. When weather conditions are consistent the body clock can synchronise better. So I guess at early stages of a Childs life and development this is a crucial time to have consistent weather conditions. Socrates was the first person in history to send his patients down south in the winter months if they were ill or down.

There is also evidence that people who suffer from conditions like bipolar disorder are more likely to have great creative ability. Have you heard the term mad scientist? Bipolar disorder is a condition which is related to weather conditions and seasonal affective disorder. Alot of greats in history have been a victim to mental illness, seems to have been one of the formula of success. Maybe even religious leaders?

The idea I have is related to whats already known like light therapy to relief a range of symptoms but more effective.. The best part is no drugs are needed.

Scientists discovered that people born at certain times of the year are more lucky then others. May and July are the luckiest months and something like September is the unluckiest.

Luckier? :confused: Do you mean happier? Science does not recognize the existence of "luck".

There is also evidence that people who suffer from conditions like bipolar disorder are more likely to have great creative ability.

I could believe this. I've known some creative people that seemed slightly bipolar.

Bipolar disorder is a condition which is related to weather conditions and seasonal affective disorder.

How is it related? I've lived in Sweden for the past three years, and I have to deal with seasonal affective disorder. I currently use a SAD lamp for this purpose, which is partially effective at reducing symptoms.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Eudaimonist I'm really not messing around when I say I've discovered an effective method that reliefs SAD I find it’s more effective then light therapy

No drugs and its extremely simple. If you want me to explain send me a PM.

Its assumption and light box companies that tell you, that you need a light box. My method is more effective even without a light box. very simple.

Back