Question about Arminius and Christianity

User2

Reaction score
Hi, i am currently a student taking western religoin and i came across a question about James Arminius which i dont have any notes on. if some of you could please fill me in on this. the question is: how did Arminius within christianity describe god (not physically), what were his comments about him, did arminius agree with what god's messages were? i am basically trying to find out what Arminius said about him and if he rejected any of christian rules. Thank You

Arminius, reformer or follower

Try Google's directory search.

And while you are reading on Arminius, whom I am not conversant with, also find out whether he was just explaining or re-presenting what he learned from his mentors or did he really start out something radically revolutionary.

In religion there are founders and followers and innovators. And in religions there are those that come out from and with a people and those which are started by persons who are styled afterwards as founders, reformers or renovators or innovators.

For example, in Hinduism and in Judaism we have the innovators in Buddha for the first and Jesus Christ and Mohammed for the second.

Susma Rio Sep

User2 said:
Hi, i am currently a student taking western religoin and i came across a question about James Arminius which i dont have any notes on. if some of you could please fill me in on this. the question is: how did Arminius within christianity describe god (not physically), what were his comments about him, did arminius agree with what god's messages were? i am basically trying to find out what Arminius said about him and if he rejected any of christian rules. Thank You

Hi User2, and welcome to CR!

I know we have some people connected to various dominations that subscribe to Arminius to some degree or other - hopefully one of them can answer your questions more directly. :)

Hello User2,

If my memory serves, Arminius was a 16th century Protestant scholar who is mainly remembered for developing a theology that emphasized human free-will as opposed to the predestination of John Calvin. Calvinism vs. Arminianism was a big controversy in the church at that time. I think Arminius' most successful adherents were John and Charles Wesley, who founded what became the Methodist church. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if he taught anything against God's rules. As far as I know, he was considered controversial but not heretical, and a good many Christians who are versed in doctrine still follow his interpretations of text today.

I hope this helps.

veritasamat

Everythig in a cosmic CD

Predestination and free will, the controversy is all in the mind.

Predestination means everything is already done and recorded in a cosmic CD. Who did that? If you believe in a personal God, meaning a God that is like a person as we know persons to be, equipped with choice and attached to his biases and whims, then God did it. And if you think deeper, then that CD is God Himself.

Free will means looking at the question not from the specie aeternitatis, but from the standpoint of here and now. You cannot see anything except in your mind from the mirror of eternity, but what you have and only that is time and place to act. If you choose to act or not to act, or to do this or that, then that is making choices; and that's free will.

Now, if you don't want to make choices and take the risks of making wrong ones, then you should repair to the monastery like Buddhist monks and nuns and Catholic ones, specially those guys in the Trappist monasteries. Then you will have committed hara-kiri before you even started living that life that the cosmos or God has given you.

Remember that if you make choices that turn out to be wrong or not the best ones, have the courage to change and do better next time. Just calculate everything so that at the end of life, if you don't get caught with an instantaneous death, unrealized in its coming, you can leave this world with the comfort of having also lived, having attained at least all your physiologically destined objectives.

Lucky for us today, we can get to know a lot of things, if we would open our minds and use our eyes and ears and think carefully. Make then informed choices for the best in life.

Susma Rio Sep

I'm not following you, Susma. Are you trying the argue free will and pore destination go together? If so, good luck with that one.

I'm not following you, Susma. Are you trying the argue free will and pore destination go together? If so, good luck with that one.

Actually they both may play a role in the destiny of humans as individuals and collectively as well as the nature of existence. Natural Laws injects a certain amount of predestination in everything. Evolution has also narrowed the field on our decision making process by limiting most decisions to those that promote the survival of the species. Most people do not understand that many decisions by humans are in some way collective decisions. Fractal relationships (chaos theory) plays a role in the diversity of events and human choices, and in the events in the natural world have a diversity of outcomes, but still within the constraints of Natural Law.

I believe that the evidence supports the potential of Free Will decisions in human choices in the decisions over time that advance and in the development of the knowledge, science, and culture of society.

Back