Scientology

Just wondering what the Baha'i view on Scientology is?

My view is that it is a 'man-made' religion*. It has no belief in God to speak of. It's more like E.S.T. on steroids with a desire to avoid taxation in my own particular opinion which actually pre-dates my becoming a Baha`i.

*Personal view, I don't think the faith has a particular 'official' slant on the question.

Regards,
Scott

Just wondering what the Baha'i view on Scientology is?

I read the biography of the creator of the church L. Ron Hubbard. His life seemed very corrupt and unjust. (IMHO) if you fruit (Hubbard) was bad how can his creation yeild good fruit?

Biography here L. Ron Hubbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I'm going to invent a religion that's going to make me a fortune. I'm tired of writing for a penny a word."
-L. Ron Hubbard

That was the quote that put the nail in the coffin for me ever taking scientology seriously.

Well to me Scientology is the biggest joke I came across. The main reason I opened a thread about it in the Baha'i forum is because some people include the Baha'i fath in the same box, like my daily newspaper.

What was the quote from the paper, and what paper?

Regards,
Scott

Regarding wacky religions. The sun which is the UK most circulated paper. Included religions such as Jedi knights? Don't mean any disrespect, just bringing it to light.

Thanks, Seeker, but I was asking Postmaster which paper and what was said.

Regards,
Scott

Not sure if it translates well, but my impression is that the National Inquirier in the US is probably The Sun's nearest literary counterpart - if that's of any help. :)

I really try to respect the beliefs of others. I don't think that John Travolta and Tom Cruise are stupid people just because they are members of the Scientology Church, even if one of them jumps up and down on a couch when he is excited.

Over the last decade or so, The Church of Scientology has undergone lots of persecution in Europe, especially Germany. Does anyone here know if there are specific reasons for it ?

I do have serious questions about a religion that requires its members to be periodically hooked up to an electrical device to determine whether they are "clear" or not. The other thing that gives me pause happened a couple of years ago when I was driving down the street and there was a sign in the window of the local Church of Scientology that said "now hiring".

But, as I said above, I believe that all people are entitled to believe whatever they wish. This is the basis of the concept of free will and the consequences that follow individual and collective choices under free will.

flow....:)

I don't understand what exactly is the problem with Scientology myself. At least, I don't see why other people have a problem with it. From what I have read of the official doctrines, it just seems to be Gnosticism with an extraterrestrialist spin. I'll admit that the electrical machines is kind of strange, but I suppose it works for some people. I don't think that Hubbard's intent necessarily invalidates the religion/belief system either, as there has to be some semblance of truth in even a "man-made" religion; if it gives people whatever they believe they are looking for, then it's as valid as any other religion out there.

I don't understand what exactly is the problem with Scientology myself. At least, I don't see why other people have a problem with it. From what I have read of the official doctrines, it just seems to be Gnosticism with an extraterrestrialist spin. I'll admit that the electrical machines is kind of strange, but I suppose it works for some people. I don't think that Hubbard's intent necessarily invalidates the religion/belief system either, as there has to be some semblance of truth in even a "man-made" religion; if it gives people whatever they believe they are looking for, then it's as valid as any other religion out there.

Some religions ARE fronts for money-making. Not all such organizations try to pass themselves off as religious.

Same scam, different game. Amway's a good example of a non-religious tight-knit social organization that makes money from its members.

Regards,
Scott

What's wrong with making money? At least Hubbard was honest about it. Aside from scamming people out of money, which you can argue for just about any religion, is there anything else?

I guess you could learn about their theology by watching Battlefield Earth.

Bought that DVD at a pawn shop for a couple of dollars last year.

Awesome special effects ! But Denver didn't look quite right.

flow....;)

Asking donations of members GENERALLY (all at once), and charging for religious services like 'auditing'. It's kind of like charging for Sunday Services directly--you know--selling tickets at the door.

Regards,
Scott

Back