William Miller

Postmaster

Reaction score
I've heard of William Miller and the story about it along time ago, it's quite high profile. It's basically about in the 1800s a preacher in America started getting people to believe that Christ would be returning and to prepare people. He made his calculations from reading the bible. He got a lot of people interested only to let them down 2 or 3 time? When nothing happened on the days he predicted his return. The days are called the great disappointment.

Out of William miller's crazy preaching was born the Christian demoninations Seventh-day Adventists, Advent Christians and Jehovah's Witnesses.

But maybe William miller wasn't so crazy? The year he made his prediction was for 1844 the year the Bab announced his mission?

I've heard of William Miller and the story about it along time ago, I'd say it's quite high profile. It's basically about in the 1800s a preacher in America started getting people to believe that Christ would be returning and to prepare people. He made his calculations from reading the bible. He got a lot of people interested only to let them down 2 or 3 time? When nothing happened on the days he predicted his return. The days are called the great disappointment.

Out of William miller's crazy preaching was born the Christian demoninations Seventh-day Adventists, Advent Christians and Jehovah's Witnesses.

But maybe William miller wasn't so crazy? The year he made his prediction was for 1844 the year the Bab made his mission known? And the first step in the creation of the Baha'i faith. Like I said the William Miller story is quite high profile.

Oddly enough there are actually TWO William Miller's with bearing on the faith. The first you have mentioned, the William Miller who founded the Adventists.

The other William Miller was in twentieth century, a Presbyterian missionary to Iran, who was largely flustered by the lack of success of Christian missionary work in Iran and the rate of growth of the Baha`i Faith even in Iran where it was persecuted. The 2nd William Miller wrote three different books trying to expose the Baha`i Faith as false, getting much of his material from one of the nephews of Mirza Yahya

Regards,
Scott

The Millerites as they were called expected that Christ would Return in 1844. Some sold all their possessions and waited on top of hills to see the event ...some purchased "Ascension Robes" to meet the Lord in the air.

See:

Millerites Not Comet Kooks -- by Larry Kirkpatrick

When He didn't descend from the clouds as expected after a few dates were set, many of them called it the "Great Disappointment".

But Miller believed the prophecies were correct till he died.

The Adventist movement that developed after that believed the event of Christ's Return occurred in heaven... I've heard Adventists explain this...and it's called the "sanctuary doctrine".

See

Investigative judgment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway for me the interesting thing is that independently of the Adventist movement in America and Europe, the Shaykhies in Iran also had an expectation of the Qaim, (He Who will Arise) in the year '60 or 1260 AH which was the equivalent of 1844 AD.

The two messianic expectations coincided with the Declaration of the Bab on May 22-23 1844 we Baha'is believe.

- Art

Quite interesting. It shows how people are part and intune with some divine plan. If its not just a meaningless coinsidence which I'm sure can be argued too. Like there being 2 william millers, one for and one agains't. Just as it's possible we could share the same birthday.

Actually the Presbyterian Missionary's name was "William McElwee Miller" and as far as I know wasn't related to the William Miller of the Millerite movement.

- Art

quote - Abdu'l-Bahá was born Tehran, Persia on May 23, 1844, the eldest son of Bahá'u'lláh and Ásiyih Khánum, Navváb. He was born on the very same night on which the Báb declared his mission (Esslemont).

Why did you fail to mention this? Do you think it has no significance to the William miller and the Shaykhies expectations on the return of Christ. Did you simply not know? Or Do you think that it could suggest that they got there expectations wrong.

Postmaster wrote:

Abdu'l-Bahá was born Tehran, Persia on May 23, 1844, the eldest son of Bahá'u'lláh and Ásiyih Khánum, Navváb. He was born on the very same night on which the Báb declared his mission (Esslemont).

Why did you fail to mention this? Do you think it has no significance to the William miller and the Shaykhies expectations on the return of Christ. Did you simply not know? Or Do you think that it could suggest that they got there expectations wrong.

The birth of Abdul-Baha did occur about the same time as the Declaration of the Bab but Abdul-Baha was not a Prophet or Manifestation of God. He is regarded as an Exemplar for us Baha'is of how to live the Baha'i life and He was His Father's staunchest defender.

Baha'is don't celebrate the birth of Abdul-Baha and that was because Abdul-Baha Himself didn't want His birthday observed. The Declaration of the Bab on May 22-23 1844 and 1260 AH is regarded by us as fulfillment of the prophecies William Miller and others alluded to.

- Art

As an additional note: We do commemorate the Passing of Abdu'l Baha, and his remains were laid to rest in the Shrine of the Bab where pilgrims can offer prayers (not TO Abdu'l Baha per se, all prayers are ultimately to God). If you like I can post the Tablet of Visitation for Abdu'l Baha.

We respect and revere Abdu'l Baha as the perfect example of living a Baha`i life. We respect and try to live by his advice, but he is not a Manifestation of God. He once said, in an attempt to get believers trying to elevate himself to the level of his father: "My name is Abdu'l Baha. My station is Abdu'l Baha. My desire is Abdu'l Baha." Abdu'l Baha is a phrase meaning "Servant of Glory". His whole life was in faithful service to his father, Baha`u'llah.

Regards,
Scott

quote - Abdu'l-Bahá was born Tehran, Persia on May 23, 1844, the eldest son of Bahá'u'lláh and Ásiyih Khánum, Navváb. He was born on the very same night on which the Báb declared his mission (Esslemont).

Early Baha'i's wanted to celebrate Abdu'l-Baha's birthday, but he would not allow it as something much more important happened on that day. But as a gift to them he designated November 26th as "The Day of the Covenant", as an alternate day for us to acknowledge him. So yes we are well aware of it. :) It's just another one of those amazing mysteries enshrined within this Revelation. And actually Baha'u'llah used the phrase "Mystery of God" to describe Abdu'l-Baha, his station is unique in all of religious history.

Another thing which may interest you...

the first telegraph message was sent within approximately 24-36 hours after the Bab's declaration. half the world away Samuel Morse sent out over the wire... "What hath God wrought?" First Telegraph Message by Samuel Morse

just add it to those things that make you go hmmmm..... :)

All these dates, birthdays, expectations that coincide and seem synchronised and so on. Should they be used as some kind of authorised stamp on the Baha'i faith. You can use these kind of coinsidences on just about anything. I was born on July 4th the day America (where the most Baha'is live) got liberated and........... my brother was born on July 4th.

All these dates, birthdays, expectations that coincide and seem synchronised and so on. Should they be used as some kind of authorised stamp on the Baha'i faith. You can use these kind of coinsidences on just about anything. I was born on July 4th the day America (where the most Baha'is live) got liberated and........... my brother was born on July 4th.

Anyone who has been Baha'i for any length of time are most likely aware of these things, but others may feel as you say, "you can use coincidences for just about anything", so though it may peak some peoples curiousity, it's not likely to make alot of people accept the Faith based on that alone. So it's not something we will generally focus on, unless someone expresses an interest in these types of things. We believe that it's the Word of God as revealed by Baha'u'llah, that has the power to change hearts.

oh, and a slight correction the largest Baha'i population is located in India. The United States is quite small by comparison.

An "authorized stamp":

Postmaster wrote:

"All these dates, birthdays, expectations that coincide and seem synchronised and so on. Should they be used as some kind of authorised stamp on the Baha'i faith. ...".

And you'll note above that Harmony brought up Samuel Morse sending out over the wire... "What hath God wrought?" on May 24, 1844.

So how's this for an "authorized stamp"? See the following:

The U.S.A. - Centenary of the Telegraph issued in 1944:

"Most of the Bahá'í friends know the story about Samuel Morse and the invention of the Telegraph. No one really knows why he said "What Hath God Wrought." He truly believed that the telegraph would change the world, making it "smaller" making communication so much easier that it would help create world peace. Not many people believed him, in fact, they though he was a little crazy. Bahá'í know that the date of the opening of the first telegraph line, on May 24th 1844 practically coincided with the Declaration of the Bab in Shiraz. How fitting that this stamp was issued one hundred years later, when Bahá'í were also celebrating a Holy Year....."

Source:

Baha'i Philately

In favour of Baha'i philosophy, communication and technological advancements made the world smaller, Internet, telephone and the aeroplane.

Personally I do believe that timing of certain events are to signigcantly coincide with other events, it's like life beats to a harmonious tune. Others only merely listen to the tune and others can read the notes.

Back