Maine

Vajradhara

One of Many
Reaction score
i've noted that several folks are from Maine on our site...

i'm not famaliar enough with the towns and whatnot to know what's where... however... are any of you close to Waterville? i've inlaws that live there.

Maine is one place in the USA where I would really love to go. There's a great pedirgee of horror authors I'v read who have covered the place - Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft, and Stephen King - and I'd love to visit these landscapes that they've written about. It sounds both haunting and beautiful - and, importantly, still wild in parts. Here in Britain there are no real ancient woodland, excepting a couple of tiny patches at each end of Britain. Most of the woodlands here are sterile fir plantations for woodpulp production, and that kills the landscape.

Waterville is up toward the center of the state, northeast of Augusta, the capital, and southwest of Bangor. I live west of Portland, about 150 to 200 kilometers southwest of Waterville. Don't know the Waterville area all that well, Vaj. I've only lived in this state for a year.

It is beautiful and it is wild, Brian. Lots was spoiled by paper mills here over the past century, as well, but hard times came to the industry, and most of the puilp mills, and the towns that supported them, are now dead. The northern half of the state is about as remote a wilderness as you could ask for, much of it. Even here in the south, you occasionally see moose. Our house-hunting was governed by a search for a place far enough out in the sticks that we could have complete privacy. We DO have one set of neighbors, but you can only see their house through the trees in winter . . . and they make up for that by being the only ones on our dead-end non-public road with a snow plow!

If you ever want to come visit Maine, Brian, know that you have a ready-made vacation cottage in the woods waiting for you. Just one bit of advice: do NOT visit in winter!

Sounds great to me! Can I visit by way of Innsmouth? :)

Only bad thing I hear about the area is apparently there are a lot of nuclear reactors about that part of the USA. On the one hand, it means you don't have the landscape ripped up by the coal industry - but one the other hand, I've never been keen on living near the things.

I hear the autumns are superb as well. Maybe one day...

hrmm?

so, whats wrong with nuclear reactors? my grandparents have lived near a nuclear powerplant for as long as ive been on this earth, there isnt anything wrong with them or their 30 pound tomatoes..

heheh, ive been to maine, i live in CT so its not far, i dunno about all what you guys are talkin about but maybe it was cause i went to the more coastal area of maine, i was only there for a week but it didnt seem to different to me, it seemed alot like vermont, new hamphire and such

i guess thats new england for ya though

Good testing for stray radiation

Zazen said:
so, whats wrong with nuclear reactors? my grandparents have lived near a nuclear powerplant for as long as ive been on this earth, there isnt anything wrong with them or their 30 pound tomatoes..
( . . . )

Living in the vicinity of nuclear reactors is a good way to test the effect of any whatever slight stray radiation on human beings. We'll see the results in the descendants of present inhabitants.

Susma Rio Sep

Zazen said:
Heh, I'm not a great fan of the consequences of the potential effects of mis-management in those places. :)

And they get a very bad press over here in the UK - namely because we have one in particular named "Sellafield" (used to be Windscale) that has a bad safety record, not to mention horrendous record of leaked emissions.

hmm

well, all i know is we work damn hard over here to make sure we dump all our nuclear waste in the super safety of caves and ocean bottoms

amitabha

Zazen said:
well, all i know is we work damn hard over here to make sure we dump all our nuclear waste in the super safety of caves and ocean bottoms

amitabha

For a moment I thought you were going to say "...all i know is we work damn hard over here to make sure we dump all our nuclear waste in... Canada."

:)

Back