Belief in a physical, literal Jesus essential?

Seeker_of_truth

Reaction score
I was having some trouble with this. My dad, who has been a Baha'i since 1992 and who is one of the smartest people i know ( I can ask him help from any subject in school, also speaks 7 languages) does not believe in a historical Jesus. If I am not mistaken Baha'u'llah quotes the Gospels and talks of Jesus as if he was a real, historical person.
I was wondering what other fellow Baha'is thought on this matter.
Is a belief in a historical Jesus fundamental to the Baha'i Faith?

I was having some trouble with this. My dad, who has been a Baha'i since 1992 and who is one of the smartest people i know ( I can ask him help from any subject in school, also speaks 7 languages) does not believe in a historical Jesus. If I am not mistaken Baha'u'llah quotes the Gospels and talks of Jesus as if he was a real, historical person.

I think your father has a right to believe as he chooses to... A lot of scholars have questioned the historicity of Jesus, but there are some who still accept it.

The Gospels of course are accepted by Baha'is as being inspired and protected. I think Baha'u'llah makes this clear in the Kitab-i-Iqan.

We also accept the Virgin Birth of Jesus and His crucifixion so I think you would have to conclude that according the Writings, Jesus would not be a mere concoction or a myth.

We could agree though I think that many of the views of Jesus and the later Church doctrines were probably influenced by prevailing Pagan notions and practices.

- Art

yes, as far as i know, it is fundamental, though we are allowed freedom to believe what we wish so long as we don't insist our beliefs are the only option.

I'm curious how can he accept Him as a prophet if He was not a real person?

Back