Progressive Muslim Union

taijasi

Gnōthi seauton
Reaction score
Recently a friend directed me to this website: Progressive Muslim Union.

My friend is a Baha'i, and has been so for several years. He has much more familiarity with Islam than I do, and he mentioned the Progressive Muslim Union as the only "liberal" Muslim organization he knows of ... as well as one which shares many of its tenets (or values) with the Baha'i Faith.

Is anyone here aware of PMU? There are 12 Principles on the website which charactize the organization. What do folks think?

I'm not a Baha'i personally, but I am very much a believer in the work that Baha'i's do, on the political and cultural levels, as well as the religious, in terms of Interfaith cooperation. The PMU appeals to me along these same lines. These princples seem very inclusive forward-looking. I can easily imagine a world in which people guided by these principles would gladly and warmly cooperate with people of other faiths.

Take a look. See what you think.

~Zag

The first time I have heard of this organization. Its an interesting interpretation of Islam in a modern world. I guess I would have to read there book to find out how exactly they reconcile their conclusions with Islamic scripture. In a larger sense this is applicable to everyone because at the core is the debate over a central 'universal value system' and how it should be representative of our past traditions as well as applicable to our modern problems.

Good point, Promethium, and thanks for the response. Yes, I agree that this is a question we should all be asking ... regardless of our religious path. What is traditional is not necessarily "right," even if at one time it may have been so. And what is new may be equally inappropriate while, perhaps ironically, it might have worked had it been applied in the world of 100, or 1000 years ago!

I just find that I agree with the principles embraced by the PMU, for I find them on the whole to be timeless truths. :)

~Zag

Slap "Baha'i Faith" where it says "PMU" and I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. :)

Back