question

G

gabriel06

I'm a student learning about cultural diversity, and the moment we are discussing religions namely buddhism. I was wondering do budists pray to a god, like the christain faith?, and do they actually recognise jesus etc?
sorry if it sounds a silly question , but if you dont know , ya dont know. Always ask.:confused:

Hi gabriel06--welcome to CR!

No one would call me a Buddhist, but I am very interested in Buddhist thought. I enjoy learning about it, as I personally find it interesting in both some spiritual and practical ways.

I think you will find the Buddhist community here very helpful indeed!

Just saw you here and wanted to say "hi". :)

InPeace,
InLove

I was wondering do budists pray to a god, like the christain faith?

Hi Gabriel,

No such thing as a silly question.

You may read about gods in Buddhism, but they are not the creator God of Christianity. “Praying” suggests asking for help from something / somebody whereas Buddhism is concerned with keeping the responsibility for your life within you.

and do they actually recognise jesus etc?

The Buddha lived about 500 years before Jesus so the teachings of the Buddha will obviously not contain any mention of Jesus. However, religions have common things in them (and are related in some cases), so I would suggest a Buddhist today will see the value in the teachings of Jesus where they match the teachings of the Buddha. The words used may be different but the underlying meaning is similar.

Hopefully you might find this site quite useful. In fact you may end up with more responses that you would like!:)

Snoopy.

I'm a student learning about cultural diversity, and the moment we are discussing religions namely buddhism. I was wondering do budists pray to a god, like the christian faith?, and do they actually recognise jesus etc?
sorry if it sounds a silly question , but if you dont know , ya dont know. Always ask.:confused:

The Buddhist faith, like the Christian, has "many mansions". It is not one great monolithic structure that has remained constant since the Buddha first taught approx 2500 years ago. Yet, as far as I know, no Buddhist would actually recognise a supreme creator God, transcendent to the universe, in the same sense as Christianity.

Theravada recognises a "not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-conditioned", yet its orientation is "Buddha's can only point the way, each has to walk the path themselves". Reverence towards the Buddha - as teacher, not Savior - would be encouraged, however.

Mahayana - as a development, to put it simply, and avoiding controversy! - transforms the Buddha from historical teacher, into a cosmic principle. This "cosmic principle", when understood as the Dharmakaya, has been described by certain Buddhist thinkers, as "the cosmic mind"........as karuna (love/compassion)........as bodhi (intelligence). Yet the Dharmakaya is not understood as being transcendent to the universe, but as the ultimate reality that underlies all particular phenomena. In some developments of the Mahayana, this "cosmic principle" (or Dharmakaya) has been personified as Amida - and indeed is prayed to and venerated, even understood as "saviour". Many - but not all!! - see this as some form of degeneration of "pure Buddhism"...............but lets not get into the in-fighting among our Buddhist friends!

The ideal of Theravada is the Arhat, who follows the Buddha's teaching to the point of attaining nirvana. The ideal of the Mahayana is the Bodhisattva, who seeks salvation not for themselves alone, but for all, and forsakes entry into nirvana until all are able to enter. Jesus is often recognised as a bodhisattva under this particular aspect.

Hopefully this has been of some help.

:)

Great postings. I would not call myself "buddhist" yet but I follow many buddhist beliefs. I get asked this question all the time...

Back