The Retreat: British telly

Snoopy

Reaction score
Hi,

Just watched one of three in a series called The Retreat; made by the same folk that made The Monastery and The Convent. I thought it was far better than those and really interesting. (Monday, BBC2, 9pm).

The six varied people (agnostics, Muslims- practising and "lapsed") spent 30 days at a Classical (aka Sufi) Muslim retreat in Spain.

Time and again I was struck by the similarities between Islam and other religions, where there is a tension between the "conservative" wing (rules, judgments, prescriptions) and the "liberal" wing (concerned with, to me, the real purpose of religion: the personal experiential search for that which is greater than the "self").

Looking forward to the remaining programmes.

Did anyone else see it?

s.

Hi Snoop...

Didn't seee it over here across the pond. Why don't the execs at PBS and BBC get off their duffs and start sharing important programming, not to mention some of the costs perhaps.

No reason why other English language programming producers couldn't also share. We'd learn so much about each other.

Oh...maybe that's why they're not doing it. You know...the dangers of the "oneness" thingy.

flow....:rolleyes:

Hi,

yeah, good grief - communication, that's the slippery slope.....

s.

Snoopy wrote:

I was struck by the similarities between Islam and other religions

Thanks for sharing that! I've noticed the same thing and it's good to bring this out at a time when people have negative feelings about religion because of the media coverage on war and terrorism, etc.

- Art

Hi,

Yes indeed. Underneath everything we are all the same, want the same and need the same.

s.

Hi Snoopy I'm the new kid on the block, :cool:
I watched the retreat and found it be very interesting! The setting was cool, although i didn't agree with some of the methodolgy! never the less i wana find a nice retreat to re-charge
rayc

Hi Snoopy I'm the new kid on the block, :cool:
I watched the retreat and found it be very interesting! The setting was cool, although i didn't agree with some of the methodolgy! never the less i wana find a nice retreat to re-charge
rayc

Hi Rayc and welcome to CR!

I would recommend the following book to you.

Amazon.co.uk: The Good Retreat Guide: Over 500 Places to Find Peace and Spiritual Renewal in Britain, Ireland, France, Spain and Greece: Books: Stafford Whiteaker

My only criticism (at least of the edition I have) is that it is arranged geographically and there is no index to search by "type" of retreat. Other than that it is very comprehensive and even-handed (most of the book is concerned with places in the UK).

Snoopy.

Back