The Empty Tomb

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus' body. 2Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3and they asked each other, "Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

4But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. 5As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.

6"Don't be alarmed," he said. "You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7But go, tell his disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.' "

8Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid. (Mark 16)

The resurrection of Jesus is the triumphant ending of Mark's Gospel, thought to be the earliest recorded Gospel. This makes it pretty difficult to argue that a physical resurrection was not part of the original beliefs of the first Christians. But, what does the empty tomb mean? And what about the passage in Matthew where at the crucifixtion the tombs opened and the dead were raised? And what about us, our bodies? We know that our earthly bodies decay in the ground, if not cremated, yet as Christians we too trust in a bodily resurrection. Will our resurrection be different from that of Jesus, or, is the empty tomb a symbol pointing to a different kind of body and different kind of life, rather than a literal event?

What do you think? What do you believe?

The resurrection of Jesus is the triumphant ending of Mark's Gospel, thought to be the earliest recorded Gospel. This makes it pretty difficult to argue that a physical resurrection was not part of the original beliefs of the first Christians. But, what does the empty tomb mean? And what about the passage in Matthew where at the crucifixtion the tombs opened and the dead were raised?

Hi
I am one who from the witnessing of JesusYeshuaIssa do not believe that he rose from the dead, with many reasons, as he was delivered from the Cross in neardead position nevertheless alive as per his prophecy. The tomb was empty as JesusYeshuaIssa gained consciousness and then there was no point to be in the tomb. I think it is reasonable and rational.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi - a peaceful faith in Islam

I do not think flesh is appropriate or desired attire in heaven. I could be wrong, but I draw that understanding from several things that Jesus said in the Gospels. That a person can be raised from the dead in exact form... I fully believe it. Everything is being recorded and all things are possible.

Back