Can You Help

Wishwitch

Reaction score
Hello All.
I need some help in identifing an Item that has come into my life.

It is a short string of beads of 3 sizes. 12 large, 6 medium, 41 small ones.
They are arranged in groups, not evenly around. on the bottom is a mother of pearl flat disc carved with a picture of the Dome Of The Rock.
The beads have a mother of pearl look about them and are roughly carved (not round).
I have looked to see if I can find any ref to prayer beads, I have found some but the beads are even in size.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
Thank you
Tina

Hello All.
I need some help in identifing an Item that has come into my life.

It is a short string of beads of 3 sizes. 12 large, 6 medium, 41 small ones.
They are arranged in groups, not evenly around. on the bottom is a mother of pearl flat disc carved with a picture of the Dome Of The Rock.
The beads have a mother of pearl look about them and are roughly carved (not round).
I have looked to see if I can find any ref to prayer beads, I have found some but the beads are even in size.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
Thank you
Tina

Hi Tina

I am afraid that I can't help you on this one.

Generally Muslim prayer beads come in strings of either 33 beads or strings of 33 beads, a marker bead, 33 beads, a marker bead then 34 beads, usually the beads are of the same size and the marker beads different size or shape or both.

My wife is from West Africa and she like many women wear a string of beads under their clothes around their waist. This typically will consist of a few beads given to them by their Mother, Grandmother and Aunts and a few beads bought for them. My wifes beads contain some from her Mum and her Mother and some other family members and they vary in size.

Do you think that your beads could be a souveigneir or something like that ?

Peace

Hi Tina

Do you think that your beads could be a souveigneir or something like that ?

Peace

I think you could be right. The carved disc on the bottom of the beads has 'Mosque of Omar' on the front and 'Bethlehem' on the back.

It looks to me sort of souveiner, but I just wanted to be sure.
Many thanks for you time in replying.
Tina

Back