Michael Jackson and Mad Cow Disease

okieinexile

Reaction score
By Bobby Neal Winters

The seeds of what we are going to be hearing and reading about in the New Year are planted from the Old, most of the time. This bothers me considering the headlines on New Years Day featured Michael Jackson and Mad Cow Disease. I believe that somewhere in the cosmos there is some connection between these apparently disparate news items, and if there is it is bound to be evil.

Michael Jackson is four years older than I am, and still thinks that having sleepovers with teenyboppers is a grand old time. I am old enough to remember when the Jackson Five had their own cartoon. I may have seen an episode or two, but I don't remember ever habitually watching it or knowing anyone who did, but in thinking back on it, I've got to think, "That can't be healthy." Attention is a powerful drug that can be good or evil, depending upon the patient.

While it is good to give children attention, it is easy for them to get so much of it. A kiss or a hug is on the way to enough, but having your own Saturday morning cartoon is too much. There is a basic difference between the sort of attention that loving parents pay and the sort of attention that one gets as a Rock Icon. Parents, for the most part, will offer a reality check, "Son, that's weird. You're freaking us out," while the public does not. The public will encourage weird behavior until its too late.

I did not pay very much attention to Jackson until I was in graduate school, strangely enough. At that time, I was living in the metropolis of Stillwater, Oklahoma and, for the first time in my life, had occasional access to cable TV. My friend Jack Rau and his wife Angela were living in a house formerly occupied by nuns, because Angela was a Youth Minister for St. Francis Xavier Church there in Stillwater. Jack took pity on many of us TV-starved grad-students and invited us over every-once-in-a-while to watch his. MTV was a large part of that, and Michael Jackson was a large part of MTV.

I was not then, nor have I ever been a Michael Jackson fan, but I remember that the video for Thriller left quite an impression on me. During the '80's, it seemed like everything that Jackson did turned into gold, and he was everywhere, but among all of the glitz there were bits of information that were disturbing. I recall having read that he owned a boa constrictor named "Tinkerbell." While that sort of thing might slip under the radar in other parts of the country, that didn't go unnoticed in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Okies might be backward, we might be hicks, but we don't go around naming snakes, "Tinkerbell." That is just wrong.

Then there was the thing about the single white glove. I did not get that at the time, do not get it now, and am not sure that I want to get it, but we Okies knew it was a bad omen.

The chickens have all come home to roost now, and we read about his arrest for child molestation. This is by no means a funny subject, and whether he is guilty or innocent, there will be lives ruined.

The newspaper story told about charges that Jackson is making about being "manhandled." Maybe I am a cynic, (there are certain people who spewed coffee upon reading that remark and I apologize), but it seems to me in spite of the fact the first gavel of the trial has yet to be sounded, the defense has already began its case: innocent by reason of being manhandled. Those of us older than about thirty, however, have received a certain amount of education with regard to trials of the famous and wealthy. Excessive cynicism in this area is impossible after OJ.

Here I believe that I have a connection with Mad Cow Disease. (You thought I'd forgotten about that, didn't you?) There was a story on New Year's which told us (a) there was only one cow in the US with the disease, (b) meat from that one cow had already been recalled, (c) the meat wasn't distributed to many states, and (d) even if you got some of the meat, it probably wouldn't hurt you. I will really start to worry when they tell us that Mad Cow Disease is good for you.

It is pretty clear that the public relations folks for the beef industry are earning their money this week, just like Michael Jackson's are. For my own part, I am not giving up so much as a single hamburger because—however dangerous Mad Cow Disease is—its danger pales in comparison to getting into your car. On the other hand, I don't appreciate my intelligence being insulted. If they found one cow, there will be others, and the story will dog us this year, just like the Michael Jackson case. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time.

On a lighter note, the thought occurs to me that, because of his extensive plastic surgery, Michael is beginning to look something like a mad cow. Maybe we will be able to consolidate these stories somehow, but I fear that we are in for it.

Originally posted by okieinexile
I am old enough to remember when the Jackson Five had their own cartoon. I may have seen an episode or two, but I don't remember ever habitually watching it or knowing anyone who did, but in thinking back on it, I've got to think, "That can't be healthy."

You remember it, too, hmm? I'm not much into Michael Jackson, either, but I do have a couple of favorite tunes of his (Ben and She's Out of My Life.) I know. Not much to brag about, but I was born the day Adlai Stevenson #1 was laid to rest (just a little brain exercise to start out the new year.)

Concerning Mad Cow Disease, there are two schools of thought: 1) really bad things will happen to you if you eat anything that remotely touched the tainted meat and 2) abso-freakin-lutely nothing will happen to you unless you happen to have the genetic makeup for a bovine. I, personally am more worried about salmonella, botulism, e. coli, and the like. Sorry about my rant and please edit if it is offensive. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
Concerning Mad Cow Disease, there are two schools of thought: 1) really bad things will happen to you if you eat anything that remotely touched the tainted meat and 2) abso-freakin-lutely nothing will happen to you unless you happen to have the genetic makeup for a bovine. I, personally am more worried about salmonella, botulism, e. coli, and the like. Sorry about my rant and please edit if it is offensive. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The issue with Mad Cow Disease is that it appears to be identical in form to a class of diseases in humans (Creutzfeld Jakob Disease, or CJD) - and is infectious by oral transmission (i.e. eating or breathing [bone meal]), caused by warped proteins (prions) (Michael Jackson is a warped protein - there's your tie in) which in turn warp others. Cooking may not get rid of the protein aberration. Since it's got a long potential dormancy period, variant CJD is hard to detect. (see http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/bse_cjd_qa.htm ).

It's pretty clear you have to consume the meat or breath in the bone dust/bone meal to get it, though. The scary part to me is that they're not requiring tracking of CJD in the US or even testing all cow carcasses for mad cow, so it could already be in the food supply & affecting us. Hopefully this is an isolated case, though.

Back to Jackson

Has Michael Jackson ever given any STD or VD or HIV to anyone, specially a child? Has he ever hurt anyone physically? Has he ever cheated anyone financially? Has he so much as been a racist or religious fanatic or black supremacist?

I don't really relish his plastic surgery, and his color mutation. And I am not any kind of devoted fan to his singing talent. I like good music, but I would not know his songs even if I hear them and enjoy them, i.e., to be from him.

But as with all kinds of sexual offenses or molestations being prosecuted by the government police and court organs (no pun intended), however slight and of no consequences whatever for people who do after all have to know the facts of life however tawdry or lubricious, and grow up with that knowledge, I suspect very seriously that there is a lot of over-exaggerated uproar in society and in its legal component for prosecuting, more like persecuting, so-called child-molesters and women's sex harassers.

No, I am not a child molester myself and I have no inclination toward pedophilia -- not that I approve of such practices, though.

My point is this: Take care that we do not over-blow into ridiculous alarm all such accusations of child-molestation.

Note to law officers: When a so-called victim of sexual harassment or molestation lodge any complaint against any otherwise well-behaved member of decent society, bring them together and convince the victim to be forgiving on the one hand, but specially make the assailant go on his knees and beg for pardon or apologize; and just keep record of the incident for future reference. No need to call in the press.

Chronic child-molesting priests and their cover-up bishops are another thing altogether.

Suppose my own child or sister or even wife suffer such sex molestation or harassment? I will see if we can have a meeting with the assailant and determine his character.

He could have just momentarily lapsed into a primitive uncivilized uncontrolled behavior or some kind of poor judgment. I would not certainly insist that my loved one has suffered irreparable trauma or physical injury or social stigma – we are not talking here about rape.

Don’t bring in more of the public than absolutely necessary; and definitely not the press.

If no genuine distressing harm is involved, just consider it a fact of life which is not pleasant; but no need absolutely to persecute someone incommensurately for a memontary lapse of good behavior.

And I will warn my children and womenfolk not to lead others to temptation, and to be on guard with the kind of company they find themselves in.

Susma Rio Sep

Mad cows and Bush

Yesterday morning my wife told me at breakfast that she saw Bush on tv eating beef meat.

I told her that people who loath Bush will say that Bush can afford to eat beef notwithstanding the mad cow scare; the man has been mad for some time now, with war madness and violence mania.

Susma Rio Sep

Oh, lordy - here in Britain we've become the big medical laboratory for the whole BSE/ CJD experiment.

The problem is, BSE had been endemic in at least British herds for decades. That means that even though I've been veggie for over 10 years, I've still got years more exposure to BSE infected meat.

You'll certainly get the big PR push in the US over the meat - even when the science community opened up on the BSE-CJD link, a government minister tried to counter by trying to feed his young neice a burger for the cameras (she spat it out!!).

Jackson also has his PR team out. His recent TV interview (with ABC?) is a cynical attempt to clear his name by proxy, rather than by a jury. The idea that he can have a clearly impartial trial, when he has already used his media position to try and sway the opinions of potential jurors, brings out immense cynicism. However, his general hanging by media is hardly endearing either.

Impertinent questions

Brian says: "...I've been veggie for over 10 years..."

May I ask the following questions, from impertinent curiosity but also for broadening my knowledge:

1. Did you get started on veggie diet from reasons of religion or from reasons of health or what?

2. Are there some critical nutrients that you might miss for being veggie?

3. Is a veggie diet and cuisine inconvenient in a non-veggie world?

4. Is a veggie diet and cuisine more costly than a non-veggie one?

5. Do you eat just the same veggie dishes but made out to look like meat, smell like meat, and taste like meat in flavor and in texture?

6. What do you think of people who are veggies from religion, like some Buddhists and many of them I seriously suspect, who keep to a veggie diet but indulge in the practice of #5?

I myself would also go for veggie diet and cuisine; if it is not more inconvenient and not more costly, and not socially discomfiting to my dinner hosts. My possible reason? Because I believe in being kind to animals. But then I would have the difficulty of why I am not being kind to plants as well?

Susms Rio Sep

Back