Happy Naw-Ruz!

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
This evening March 20th marks the end of the Baha'i Fast and the beginning of Naw-Ruz or New Year for Baha'is. Naw-Ruz is also widely observed in Iran and Afganistan by Muslims and Zooroastrians.

Here is an article about Naw-Ruz:

http://www.safnet.com/bahai/docs/nawruz.html

No one is sure when Naw-Ruz began but it coincides with the first day of Spring and the vernal equinox.

I'm speculating but it might have some relationship to Nisan:

"Hebrew nîs
amacr.gif
n, from Akkadian nis
amacr.gif
nu, the first month in the Babylonian calendar (corresponding to parts of March and April), from Sumerian nisag, first fruits.."

So like Nisan, Naw-Ruz introduces the Baha'i Year..this will be 163 of the Baha'i Era.

- Art

Greetings, greetings!

One question: if you follow this naw-ruz.. do you get the day off work?

It is one of the Baha'i holy days on which Baha'is are to take off work, yes.

And I--for one--rearranged my work schedule this week so that my day off falls on Wednesday.

Best regards, and please feel free to keep the quesitions coming--we LOVE 'em! :)

Bruce

Antediluvian King? Hrrrrrmmm??! :confused:

Happy Naw-Ruz, Baha'is. The vernal equinox is a good place to start a year. It just makes sense, no? Many earthy pagans also celebrate the vernal equinox as the beginning of the year. Kind of makes for a better, more vibrant and springy celebration than the arbitrary December 31st/January 1st, don'tcha think? Instead of getting all wasted on bubbly and watching some stupid giant ball drop on TV in NYC while the depleted, bleary-eyed, drunken zombie masses go "Woooooo-eeeee," we can actually perform some meaningful rituals and enjoy the sunshine.

Up with vernal equinox, down with balls on Times Square!!

Wait... er... don't take that the wrong way. :D :D :D

:p

Happy Naw-Ruz! 164 BE

It is actually 164 Baha'i Era not 163 as I posted early... Bruce should get credit for this as I shamelessly forgot the year...something I have trouble with these days filing tax returns and all..

But yes, Baha'is and friends gather for Naw-Ruz and have games and eat together...the eating is sweet as we just are finishing our nineteen day fast!

so HAPPY NAW-RUZ 164 B.E.

- Art

Nineteen day fast??!!! Holy Crepes, Bah'aiMan!! You eat and drink NOTHING for nineteen days??? Surely this is a juice fast or... something.

Good Lord, I get hungry between breakfast and lunch.

Hey, Arthra, I really like that picture by your name by the way (I think the kids call it an "avatar"). Do you know where it comes from? It's purrrdy.

Angel and Pathless, hi!

(BTW, it's great to have both of you here!) :)

No, the Fast is not continuous!

It's Nineteen days (one Baha'i month) from sunrise to sunset each day (no eating or drinking during that time). Nighttimes we can eat and drink normally.

Sunset tonight ends it as our Baha'i New Year starts!

BTW, it's celebrated differently around the world: each culture tends to have its own sort of festival! There's no single way of enjoying it.

Best,

Bruce

About the Fast..

Humour me.... I know nothing,

Why do you only fast during the day but then can eat during the night? What does that represent and such?

Hey 17th Angel!

Thanks for your question.

Basically the Baha'i Fast was established by the Bab and Baha'u'llah and so we fast from solid food and liquid from sunrise to sunset. You could say the reason we fast is that it is ordained.

I think personally that it provides a discipline really to focus on the spiritual life...

The first few days your tummy growls and you are thirsty... this should give you an idea that there are people today around the world who lack food and water ...

also it might give you an idea that there were those who sacrificed their blood and lives for this Cause and gave up a lot more than say a lunch during the day and the water that you abstain from.

After fasting you could feel that you actually accomplished something yourself and begin work on some other things in your life that need cleaning up or more discipline.. Maybe you go out and waste money and resources on things you don't really need or maybe you have a habit that is excessive... You may learn these things dfuring a fast...

- Art

That's very interesting, specially coming from a person that takes part within the 19 day fast... Thanks for your answers. Although one thing troubles me... One reason for the fast can be to reflect on those that do not have food and drink to sustain themselves and family? Wouldn't sending via a charity funds or supplies to these people help more than fasting? Or have I got no real idea about this really? Like, I'm missing the main point?

More on fasting:

Thanks again for the question Angel!

"One reason for the fast can be to reflect on those that do not have food and drink to sustain themselves and family? Wouldn't sending via a charity funds or supplies to these people help more than fasting? Or have I got no real idea about this really? Like, I'm missing the main point?"

My response..

The reason for fasting for us Baha'is is because it is an ordinance of our Faith and comes from the Bab and Baha'u'llah...

What can come as an outcome of fasting is realizing what is like during the day to be withoout food and drink and this may highten peoples' sensitivity and awareness to those without and encourage efforts to alleviate the hunger in the world.

Many Baha'is are involved in social service work we call social developement projects around the world and certainly this requires a hightened awareness of the needs of others.

- Art

OK, so it is to help build spirituality... But also to provoke thoughts for others... When say I go every day stuffing my face, I may not realise how people suffer? And they say you don't know what you've got till it's gone....

OK, so it is to help build spirituality... But also to provoke thoughts for others... When say I go every day stuffing my face, I may not realise how people suffer? And they say you don't know what you've got till it's gone....

Sorry I got into this discussion so late. I wasn't able to fast this year for the first time in 30 years. I discovered last fall I am diabetic and am still learning to maintain it. After careful searching on the internet about Baha'is, diabetes and fasting and consulting with my doctor, it was decided it would be best for me to sustain from fasting this year. I missed it so much.

I was able to watch my wife, though, and was rewarded with that. I have always experienced a renewal of spirit. It seems the best way I can describe it. I still seemed to feel it this year, though, and could have been the result of prayer and determination to not be excessive during the Fast. I have had friend in the past fast with me for a period of our Fast and they have shared that it is a rewarding experience for them. I have had a couple that fasted every year with me for the whole 19 days.

The Fast is found in all the religions of the world. Many of my Christian friends use a 24 hour fast. They also have shared with me that they have enjoyed the awareness that comes from the physical act.

Food for thought (a phrase like this during the Fast can be a little torturous). Before I am tested for my diabetes, I must fast for 12 hours to eliminate any influence a particular meal of snack will have on the readings. This coincides with the approximately 12 hours that most of us fast for. So a physical cleansing everyday for 19 days for a spiritual awakening. I think I like that.

Mick

Bear in mind please that Nowruz is also a Zoroastrian feast and was so long before there were Muslims and Baha'is.

Bear in mind please that Nowruz is also a Zoroastrian feast and was so long before there were Muslims and Baha'is.

Of course it was. Actually Naw Ruz probably pre-dates Zarathustra as well. It is after all a celebration of the vernal equinox.

Regards,
Scott

I'm wanted to just ask my friend Kiwimac having been a Baha'i before ... I thought you were a sort of Zoroastrian and now an Anglican priest?

Just curious..

- Art

Art,

Indeed I am a 'sort' of Zoroastrian :) and, not an Anglican, but an Old Catholic Priest. I dwell in this matter, as in so many others, on the fringes. Having said that, I find Zoroastrianism extremely attractive ESPECIALLY when my more fundamentalist confreres are working so hard (seemingly) to bring Christianity into disrepute.

I hope this helps

Kiwimac

Back