Tampa Newspaper Editorial

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This reads like a typical urban legend - which Tampa newspaper? for example.

However, it does make some interesting points I wanted to raise here on the Politics and society board.

I'll copy it up, and then see if we can't start a discussion on this issue. :)

-----------------------------------------------------

This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!
IMMIGRANTS,NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture.

Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surgein patriotismbythe majority of Americans.
However, the dust from the attacks had
barely settledwhen the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about
the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.
I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudgeagainst anyone who is seeking a better lifeby coming to America.Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants.However, there are a few things that those
who have recently come to
our country,and apparently some born here, need to understand.This idea of America being a multicultural communityhas served only to dilute our sovereigntyand our national identity.As Americans, we have our own culture,our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle.This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and womenwho have sought freedom.
We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic,Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part
of our society, learn the language!
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women,
on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools.
If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the worldas your new home, because God is part of our culture. If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam,then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change,
and we really don't care how you did things where you came from.
This is OUR COUNTRY,our land, and our lifestyle.Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion
and
wewill allow you every opportunity to do so.But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,
our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you
take advantage of one other great American freedom,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

If you agree -- pass this along;
if you don't agree -- delete it!
AMEN

what can you do... people have the right, for good or bad, to say pretty much what they want... and that some newpaper chooses to run the OpEd is what should be at issue, at least in my mind.

but even so... this is a sentiment that a lot of Americans feel.. i.e. why is Spanish the second langauge? why can't immigrants try to learn the language? and so forth.

from what i understand, Norway is going to require all their immigrants to speak Norweigan or they can't be citizens... though i could have the country wrong...

it is my belief that it is in the best interest of the said immigrant to learn the language being spoken in the country in which they reside. it just seems that it would make life easier and allow them to integrate into the society more easily..

of course... there is no way to know if said individuals want to actually be part of the society or if they just want to have the advantages therein.

it's a thorny issue all around and there are good views from both sides.. thankfully, i'm not involved in this political process!

well

in America we say "love it or leave it" which is how i feel about the issue, umm i am definately not against immigration or different cultures molding with ours, but when people start saying we cant have american flags in school, or no pledge of alegiance(i cant spell, but this s***acutally happened to me in my school! when i went to school) or no praying?

imho the individual who wrote the article is absolutely right, and for the most part immigrants do try and better themselves when they come here, they do try to adapt, and its honorable considering that they probably had to change alot of their ways..

anyway the article is good, its basically sums up just about what alot of people feel like over here

amitabha

Last edited by a moderator:
Fisrt off this is not a newspaper editorial. At best this would be a letter to the editor a private citizen wrote, which a paper published.

I want to first say this person does not speak for all Americans, but unfortuantely he speaks for about half of us- the half that does not watch South Park.

I personally welcome all immigrants and cultures with open arms, except for the Irish of course.

I remember back in the 80's a senator from Virginia wanted me to send him money so he could sponsor a Constitution amendment to make English the official language. I wrote him back and informed him I had been to his state and witnessed first hand what his people did to our language, and I thought it was a bad idea to make it "official."

Not only does this guy offend me, everything he says offends me and until he pays for me to leave I will continue my battle in the belly of the beast.

well well

well then, no matter how much i like your avatar, i disagree

amitabha

How can the author finish his rant with :

Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion
and
wewill allow you every opportunity to do so.

He's destroying his own arguments. IMHO, that text makes no sense... No need to say I don't agree :)

And by the way, he doesn't speak for the "Americans". Being Canadian, I'm also American (living in America) and I believe Canada has a reputation of being open-minded.

I disagree with the writer of that letter wholeheartedly. I mean, how much would we lose as a nation if we limited all of our conversations to English? And who's to decide which English? Queen's English? Moddle English? Southern American English? Hawaiian English? Boston Brahmin (sp?)? New Englander English? Valley Girl (please G!ddess not that one)? New Zealander English? Australian English? Texan? American Sign Language?

Also, with the Christian ethics: how many people have been persecuted by those who claim to have G!d/dess on his/her side? I don't want to get into this argument, thankyouverymuch. We have in our Constitution a seperation of Church and State. As long as the people involved in the Church don't inflict harm on the members or the outside community, they are pretty much allowed to be left alone.

I wish the author of the letter would find him-/herself in a situation where s/he would need someone who didn't fit his/her guidelines of a "proper American citizen".

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back