Free Will - its scope and purpose

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Tariki, Apr 22, 2007.

1. juantoo3

juantoo3 ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

And go fishin' with me...

{*It'll give Seattlegal something to do}

2. Prober

Prober Give Us This Day...

3. shadowman

shadowman New Member

what about worrying about people in hell.

does this mess up the self peace

4. shadowman

shadowman New Member

how come other religions beleive in god? do they not seek peace in god? why isnt everyone converting from hinduism, buddhism or islam or african traditional religion or wiccanism if true peace comes with jesus?

5. shadowman

shadowman New Member

every other religion and several branches of chrisitanity are obviously multi millenial congoames, whats the chance that you are right? pretty dogone low.

do you trust this god that allows people to live entire lifetimes as "Wagers" and sets them up for "rude suprizes"

I know that you do, but, think about it for a second.

how do you define love? why is love in need to be forced or not forced. please define love and define/describe the dynamic, eg, are you dewscribing one being showing love for another being, or what. and if one is showing love, what does that mean.... I am interested in how love relates to free will and what all these terms mean.

6. juantoo3

Seems to me you answered your own question. ;)

7. juantoo3

What makes you think others do not find peace? Or, just as important, that other paths do not provide a moral compass by which to "do unto others?" Do you suggest G-d has not written His law on their hearts too?

8. shadowman

shadowman New Member

so I can chalk upo two sets of problems to god:

"worry about others in hell" (which can be broken down into different groups, my friends, my parents, people of other religions)

"worry about death every day till the day I die" (you never know how that crazy judgements gonna go down!)

9. juantoo3

I have thought about it far more than a second. Perhaps you might do well to consider it awhile yourself?

10. juantoo3

As you wish.

Frankly, I don't see how you can get anything close to that from the Bible. Especially since worry is a sin...

11. shadowman

shadowman New Member

yeah I do suggest that, some of the m even do crazy things like not believe in good and evil

so maybe he didnt mess with their hearts.

also, if they find peace and its not called jesus... what gives. are they going to hell?

we can die at any minute, what if they do sufficiently bad things.

Like is there a sliding scale where we can die without jesus and not go to hell, and there is a certain point where we would go to hell without jesus? or what?

12. Prober

Pass or Fail (imo).

13. shadowman

shadowman New Member

I got it from the warnings about hell in the gospels, and from the warnings about judgement in revelations

14. shadowman

shadowman New Member

how do you pass... does questioning make one fail? is it a set of mental choices at one point in time? does what one is thinking about at the moment of death matter?

15. shadowman

shadowman New Member

how are we to not worry about hell? for others I mean.

16. juantoo3

That is well and good...did you also get the part about not judging others lest ye be judged?

How do you know the mind of G-d, as to who He will save, and who He won't? Who goes to heaven...the unrepentant thief who claims to be Christian...or the Samaritan who tends the wounds of an injured stranger and puts him up until he is well again? The evidence of the Holy Spirit manifests in many more than just Christians. I believe it is well to let G-d do the judging of who He will save, and who He won't. I make myself available to G-d for His purposes, if that means guiding someone, so be it. But that person must desire guidance, otherwise it is wasted effort on my part. I plant seeds...but I cannot make them grow. Sometimes G-d might desire for me to stick around and do a little weeding and pruning, but all of the growing is up to G-d and that particular seed.

17. Prober

Yeah, it matters!

It shows (imo) the condition of the "heart" over a lifetime.

Everyone is reachable.:)

18. Snoopy

Snoopy Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

19. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

What freaking isn't?

If there were an hell.... Your god would be mean and spiteful, not at all loving... No one of a loving and merciful nature could punish and torture people for eternity and specially how would that make you feel towards this god... He is there punishing your loved ones and friends and whatnot.... Yet everything is cool? ONE: It isn't there fault... They are apprently not "perfect"... Well you made them.... TWO: Free will is what you offer... Someone takes it, then accept it.. You gave the choice not to buy into your book.... And they didn't, live with it. You'd stand by and allow someone to kick 3 tons of **** out of your mother? And you'd except that and say she had it coming? Bull. You'd anti up, bottom line. Nothing comes before blood...

20. seattlegal

seattlegal Mercuræn Buddhist

Dhammapada 1:1-5

1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

3. 'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.

4. 'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.

5. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.