Hero for a day

okieinexile

Reaction score
By Bobby Neal Winters

I am an old fashioned sort of guy whose thinking is bound by all kinds of out-dated stereotypes. I still believe in honesty, valor, and heroism as being virtues. Heck, I still think there are virtues. How old-fashioned is that?

In my journey of self-discovery, I have found that I want to be a hero, and I think all men do. We want to rescue our damsels in distress from the fire-breathing dragon. We want to impress them with daring deeds of skill and strength, and when we meet our future wives, in their compassion for us, they often let us believe they are impressed with what we do, and yet after we are married, and time passes, we slowly discover the truth. Our wives are accomplished actresses, who recognize that we are not heroes, but simply little boys.

However, those of us who are lucky enough to be fathers—especially the fathers of little girls—have the chance to be seen as heroes for real and to know that feeling again.

When our eldest was one, she had a set of plastic pop-beads of the type that you can form into a necklace. I discovered that I could impress her by lying on the floor, putting these beads into my mouth, and firing them off like rockets when she pressed on my tummy. She thought it was funny, and I was her hero.

Unfortunately, children become harder to impress when they grow older. By the time they are twelve, their admiration is a scarce item, and by the time they are almost sixteen, their admiration is like the Sasquatch, alive only in the imagination.

However, I have caught some fleeting glimpses of it recently as if it were disappearing into the woods in the Pacific Northwest. Ironically, it has been over the art of driving a standard transmission.

I would not have guessed this when I was sixteen, eighteen, or even twenty. The clutch and I have a long, unhappy history. I don't go to college football games, and the reason is that once when I was in college I went to a game and had trouble getting out of the parking lot. The lot was at the bottom of a hill, and I found myself at the front of a long line of cars that watched me failing to get my car rolling out of the parking lot, as they cackled at my repeated, jerking failures. If you've never driven a standard, then you don't know what I'm talking about, and I hate you.

Recently, I have been teaching my eldest to drive a standard. Not having the foresight to be born into a family that can afford to give her a new car with an automatic transmission, she will be forced to drive an old hand-me-down Ford truck with a stick shift.

I've taken her out into the country to learn on back roads. Just us, the hay, and the cows are around, and the cows don't laugh--not too hard anyway. She has made excellent progress, and I've only felt that I was in an '80's movie about heroin smugglers once when we went around a corner. However, the loop I have her drive has on stop at the top of a small hill, and she has had to face the demons of my youth.

In watching this from the point-of-view of a father-teacher, I see that it is a hard thing. It requires using your left foot on the clutch, your right foot on the break, and then moving your right foot from the break to the gas while letting your left off the clutch at just the correct rate. The first day, my Eldest was defeated. We made the last stop of the lesson some distance back from the stop sign, and she turned the steering wheel back over to me. As I came to the stop sign, stopped, and then started again with the smoothness of someone who has driven standards for twenty-five years now, I saw admiration in her eyes.

My soul soared, my heart quickened, and the wounds of yesteryear began to fall away. I thought that, perhaps, I might be able to attend college football again.

But my glee was short-lived. The next day she was able to do it herself. It is inevitable that I will be reduced to mere mortality again. At least I was hero for a day.

Namaste okie,

i always feel a bit odd commenting on your posts since they are mostly anecdotal stories that aren't really invitations for discussion.

eh... what's one more time then?

i would beg to differ. not all men are little boys inside. i'd agree that a vast majority of them are, though i wouldn't say that all of them are. that's too broad a brush, in my opinion, and inaccurate as well.

it has become fashionable to discount men as little boys on the inside, and for a great many men, that seems to suite them just fine. personally, i find that it demeans the entire gender when the physical adults are viewed as intellectual or emotional children.

maybe my opinion is thus due to being spanked too much.. or not enough... i can't seem to remember if i like alot of them or little of them... :cool:

in any event...

i was in a similar situation... my wife's father deemed it "unimportant" for her to learn how to drive a standard transmission, some of his quotes on this aren't fit for publication. suffice it to say that "women don't need to know that kind of thing" and you'll have a good idea of where he was coming from.

now.. of course, she didn't have a car but the one he gave her and when she and i got together, he took it. so... i taught her to drive my car... a standard. honestly, i'm not a great teacher, at least in my mind... but.. a few days later and there she was driving the car like Mario Andretti! moreover, she claimed that other boyfriends tried to show her how but couldn't.

in any event... the "hill climb" was a fun experience for her as well. when i first learned, it was in the high desert of California.. lots of hills and mountains there. heck.. i was so nervous that i would apply the parking brake! to leave, i'd start to accelerate and then release the brake... shooting out of the intersection!

It's the first time that I reply to one of your texts, but I could have said the following for each of them : You're really amazing to create emotions to your readers, this particular one made me smile the whole time and I even felt as if I knew what it was to be a hero to my own little girl (being 21yo, that would be difficult to achieve :p )

... your posts are getting dangerously addictive :D
_______
Kaldayen

Vjaradhara,

I think that it is incomplete to say that all men are little boys on the inside because all women are little girls on the inside too. We grow taller, and we learn a few more tricks, but we are still the child we were. (Perhaps we can have some discussion now and get to know each other better!)

Kaldayen,
I am glad that you are getting addicted. I am one who has come to writing late in life.

okieinexile said:
Vjaradhara,

I think that it is incomplete to say that all men are little boys on the inside because all women are little girls on the inside too. We grow taller, and we learn a few more tricks, but we are still the child we were. (Perhaps we can have some discussion now and get to know each other better!)
Namaste okie,

i would disagree.

we are not anything at all similar to how we were in our youth. phsycially, every cell in our body has died and been replaced, several times i should say.. so, we cannot even say, with any degree of accuracy, that we are even the same person from last year! let alone the same person as we were when we were children.

futher, our memories of our youth are simply that.. memories; and whilst they may lend a sense of continutiy to our existence, it should be clearly noted that memories, thoughts and other mental formations only arise in dependence on other causes and conditions. like bubbles constantly rising to the surface of our perceptions are our thoughts and memories.

as i say... it's just my opinion and nothing more :)

I loved this line:

Our wives are accomplished actresses, who recognize that we are not heroes, but simply little boys.

As for the clutch - reason I failed one of my driving tests. Darn annoying things if you haven't had time to form a close relaionship with a particular one.

Vajradhara said:
Namaste okie,

i would disagree.

we are not anything at all similar to how we were in our youth. phsycially, every cell in our body has died and been replaced, several times i should say.. so, we cannot even say, with any degree of accuracy, that we are even the same person from last year! let alone the same person as we were when we were children.

futher, our memories of our youth are simply that.. memories; and whilst they may lend a sense of continutiy to our existence, it should be clearly noted that memories, thoughts and other mental formations only arise in dependence on other causes and conditions. like bubbles constantly rising to the surface of our perceptions are our thoughts and memories.

as i say... it's just my opinion and nothing more :)

If there is nothing beyond the material, then that notion might be right. However, I do believe that there is a you who exists and persists through time. Otherwise, I would never have to pay back a loan to you because the person I got the loan from no longer existed.

While there is change, the change is built upon a base.

okieinexile said:
If there is nothing beyond the material, then that notion might be right. However, I do believe that there is a you who exists and persists through time. Otherwise, I would never have to pay back a loan to you because the person I got the loan from no longer existed.

While there is change, the change is built upon a base.

Namaste okie,

thank you for the post.

which part of you is "you"? where is the line seperating "you" from body parts simply stuck together?

it's not a material thing that you consider to be "you", is it? isn't it more accurate to say that you consider "you" to be the collection of memories, emotions, thoughts and experiences that you've had?

you'll discover, as you search for the permenantly existing "you" that you cannot find anything that corresponds to that. if you were unchanging, then you'd never change :) you'd always be an infant. thus we see that "you" isn't unchanging.. it is, in fact, a wonderful thing that we can change, wouldn't you agree?

as for paying back loans... that's outside the scope of a metaphysical discussion.. though... it does have moral implications... so you'd borrow money and agree to pay it back but then renig on the obligation? from our point of view, this would be a negative action.

Vajradhara said:
Namaste okie,

it's not a material thing that you consider to be "you", is it? isn't it more accurate to say that you consider "you" to be the collection of memories, emotions, thoughts and experiences that you've had?

"No" to both. Consider the tornado. It contains molecules and cannot exist without them, but the molecules are changed so that from time T1 to time T2 all of the molecules have changed. Yet there is a tornado, and it is the same tornado from the moment it begins until the moment that it ends. The tornado is not its molecules.

Consider the man. He has memories, thoughts, and experiences that come and go. But that is not what he is. He is beyond the material, he is beyond the mental, he is beyond the emotional.

you'll discover, as you search for the permenantly existing "you" that you cannot find anything that corresponds to that. if you were unchanging, then you'd never change :) you'd always be an infant. thus we see that "you" isn't unchanging.. it is, in fact, a wonderful thing that we can change, wouldn't you agree?

I have found a "permanently" existing me; he is sitting in front of a computer now, and he will be someplace else later. He does change, but the changes are like the molecules that come and go from the tornado. They take part in me for a while and then go on.

These thoughts are far from complete, but this began with the persistance of the "inner-child" (I've always hated that word). What comes before affects what goes after.

Namaste okie,

even your Tornado isn't a self existining entity.. it only exists in dependence upon it's various parts and the conditions that allowed it to form.

if the molecular structure of an object changes, that object is different... like Uranium 238 and Uranium 235. they are both "uranium" though they are quite different things.

what part of you is permenant? nothing phsycial is, would you argree with that?

so... it would have to something else. in your case, i would suspect that you'd posit that the soul or aniums was permenant, is that accurate? moreover, that said soul cannot change it is as it is and will always be that way, is that also correct?

Vajradhara said:
Namaste okie,

even your Tornado isn't a self existining entity.. it only exists in dependence upon it's various parts and the conditions that allowed it to form.

So? A tornado exits. I know some people who, having lost houses to them, would become violent toward those saying they didn't exist.

if the molecular structure of an object changes, that object is different... like Uranium 238 and Uranium 235. they are both "uranium" though they are quite different things.
It's different, but it exists.

what part of you is permenant? nothing phsycial is, would you argree with that?

so... it would have to something else. in your case, i would suspect that you'd posit that the soul or aniums was permenant, is that accurate? moreover, that said soul cannot change it is as it is and will always be that way, is that also correct?
The "me" of me is permanent.

No offense taken.

Actually, it occured to me that when I say that we are still the same as we were as children, I am saying in poetic language that our early years make a lot of difference in our lives. From my point of view as a writer, the poetic language more nearly captures what I mean.

I am sorry if my responses were a bit strident, but ideas are important to me.

:) Hi Bobby--

I don't know if all men and women want to be heroes, but I will always think it was very heroic of my dad to risk life and limb to teach me how to drive a stickshift. The first time I tried it on my own, though, of course I wound up on the backside of a small hill at a stoplight, much to the trepidation of not only myself, but all those folks behind me, as well as in front. But thanks to Dad, we all made it out unscathed. I must say, I became addicted to that sort of transmission for a while, but I have since decided that there are enough distractions on the road now, especially at my age! So, maybe it's best, after all, left up to the younger set--but you will provide the hand's off cell phone feature, won't you? And make sure she learns to take her foot off the clutch every now and then. It would be heroic.

InPeace,
InLove

I hate the hero in films/books/tales.... I root agaisnt the hero.. To see this guy who has risked all fall and fail gives me a sweet smile and a nice warm feeling inside.... :) So no, not all men want to be the hero.

Well, then you've succeeded--you are different. Are you against everything good, or just people who sacrifice for the sake of others?

:) Hi Bobby--

I don't know if all men and women want to be heroes, but I will always think it was very heroic of my dad to risk life and limb to teach me how to drive a stickshift. The first time I tried it on my own, though, of course I wound up on the backside of a small hill at a stoplight, much to the trepidation of not only myself, but all those folks behind me, as well as in front. But thanks to Dad, we all made it out unscathed. I must say, I became addicted to that sort of transmission for a while, but I have since decided that there are enough distractions on the road now, especially at my age! So, maybe it's best, after all, left up to the younger set--but you will provide the hand's off cell phone feature, won't you? And make sure she learns to take her foot off the clutch every now and then. It would be heroic.

InPeace,
InLove

I am now teaching the second daughter this.

Well, then you've succeeded--you are different. Are you against everything good, or just people who sacrifice for the sake of others?

I doubt different is the word you wanted heh... but OK we'll take different. I am just against the whole idea of a "hero" It doesn't sell to me... it takes all sorts of baits to get a bite, and I just don't bite for the whole hero scene... So to say I am agaisnt everything good is a bit far I'd think... In fiction side of everything, the knight in shining armor, the man wearing his underwear outside his pants... These type of people, I just want to loose....

If you're taking it to the real world.... What makes a hero? The man who helps that old lady everyday carry home her shopping... He's a hero. The guy who saves some kid from a burning house.... That's a hero.... But he will get the "hero publicity" while many live day by day being heroes.... I think "Yeah ok you saved the kid well done... Get over it... I'd of done just the same... What do you want a medal?" I dunno hard to explain lol..

Back