Tell me more about....

k... all u really need to know is the maha mantra, but if u go to a second hand bookstore u will probably find a copy of srimad bhagavatam...

cheerio

From their website:

Krishna consciousness is not something imposed on the mind. On the contrary, it's already inside of each of us, waiting to come out, like fire in a match. Chanting Hare Krishna brings out that natural, pure state of mind.​

The chant is called a mantra, a vibration of sound that cleanses the mind, freeing it from anxiety and illusion. And this is a mantra anyone can chant. It's for people of all religions, all nations, all colors, and both sexes. No need to pay any fees, join any group, or turn your life upside down. Whoever you are, whatever you do, you can try the chanting for yourself and experience its result.​

Krishna and His energy are fully present in the sound of the mantra, so even if we don't know the language or intellectually understand how it works, by coming in touch with Krishna we'll become happy, and our life will become sublime.​

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

I also recall hearing some time ago that (despite the words to the contrary up there ^) they don't let women practice. Or at least don't allow them to be "renunciates." Anyone know if this is true?

I also recall hearing some time ago that (despite the words to the contrary up there ^) they don't let women practice. Or at least don't allow them to be "renunciates." Anyone know if this is true?

They certainly do let women practise and become renunciates, although they do say women tend to be less intelligent than men so perhaps are not as good at it.

They don't emphasise this though and its actually totally contrary to the fundaments of the faith because the Gopis are considered the topmost highest devotees of Krishna and they are all women.

Also they teach that Krishna is the only true male and that everyone else is really female. So it can be inferred from this that women are in fact closer to their spiritual selves.

I am interested in learning more about Hare Krishna's...

Hello Amy, following from your original question - is there anything specific you wanted to know? I might be able to help on a few basic topics?

I seem to remember a quote from Prabhupada (who founded the movement in the West) wherein he said: "What is it, minus which - a living body becomes a dead body?" That's the basic starting point of the philosophy.

The Bhagavad-Gita is the best introductory book in terms of Hare Krishna philosophy which goes into some detail. You can find it online if you just do a Google Search for "Bhagavad Gita Vedabase".

Best Wishes,

Neemai

Back