How it all works

okieinexile

Reaction score
By Bobby Neal Winters

The book of Revelation, chapter 5, verses 1—4 states, "Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, 'Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?' But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside."

This mysterious, hard to understand, and often misunderstood book of prophecy was written by a man known to us only as John. There were several leaders in the early church named John, and it is not known which one this was. However, on the basis that he wept over being able to find no one worthy for opening the scroll, I am willing to hypothesize that he was a democrat and opening the scroll has something to do with the search for the democratic presidential nominee.

I cast my eyes over the field, and there is no one out there who I can see filling the job. However, this is not unusual, as I've been similarly handicapped every four years for quite some time. This has not prevented the position from being filled, however, and the country has survived regardless of the dire predictions of either side. This has brought me to the conclusion there must be something to this great country of ours besides politics. We can all thank God for that.

However, this brings us to a broader question. What makes it all work? The whole idea of civilization is beyond me, government baffles me, and even the littlest things are amazingly complex upon close examination.

For instance, if I take the notion to order a book, I can sit down at my computer, order it, and have it turned up on my front porch in a few days. I cannot explain how the computer works, how the order is filled, or how the truck that delivers it operates, and no one in the process understands how every piece of it works. Yet everything works just fine. I have a book, they have my money, and the whole world is somehow just a little happier.

When I was a child in Fittstown, Oklahoma, about the only interface I had with a greater world, besides the television set, was church. Especially, when I was five, like my youngest is now, all of the adults were like giants. For all I knew, the grownups who I saw at church were the masters of the universe. They seemed to know everything, and I thought when I grew up that I would somehow have to understand how to run the world just like they did. That thought terrified me.

I should have been even more frightened than I was because I have learned that they didn't know how to run the world. The sad fact is that no one does, but somehow the world keeps right on running.

I've had ample time to think about this at the University. We have thousands of students meeting in hundreds of classes everyday. If one person had absolute control over every aspect of it, nothing would ever get done. Yet bright young men and women walk in our doors, and when they walk out for years later, they've learned something and are able to do things they couldn't have done before.

Each professor teaches his own classes and grades his own papers in his own office. He's able to do that because the custodian takes care of the building, and the building is there because somebody else built it. Our students find the setting attractive because the ground crew does such a lovely job, and so on, with nobody along the way having to master every detail. One person grades papers, one person cleans floors, one person cuts grass, and in each doing his job, it all works.

It's like one of those pictures that are made buy putting little dots of paint all over the campus. Up close, it is just dots, but farther back it is an afternoon in the park.

I suppose that I am still the boy who thought that one day he would understand the world just like the grownups. Or maybe I am waiting for someone to break open the seals on that scroll, and who is worthy to read it and explain everything to us, so that we can understand it all at last.

Causality explains it all.

Okie writes:

The whole idea of civilization is beyond me, government baffles me, and even the littlest things are amazingly complex upon close examination.

If you would understand, just ask the question what brings this thing here, whatever you are looking at, that is the understanding from causality.

Thus civilization is the rise of man above the life of savage beasts. Man brings about civilization because man feels that civilization is a better way of life than that of savage existence. An example of civilization, clothing. Man causes clothing because being clothed is better than being naked; it saves you the trouble of having always to look for a warm place when it's cold, like inside a deep cave.

Government, that is the instrument made up of some men by men who want and need some to run the affairs of inter-human relations and relating, so that everyone would have the freedom and peace to pursue things like staying securely in bed with his mate.

Littlest things are not really so complex as to be beyond understanding from the standpoint of causality. Science and technology explain everything made by man, and everything found in nature -- at least everything that so far we have fathomed the inner working of.

Now there is also one explanation for everything, if you have no time for science and technology, God. God causes everything in the last analysis. And if you make something you are doing something essentially God's work, except for the raw materials which He is supposed to have already produced -- most likely also His own component stuff. God is all in all.

If you don't believe in God, then everything is as is and still changing until when time ends. And we are still wondering what will come after that transition has arrived. And we will know it if we are still around.

Hope that explains things to you. No need to resort to some even more baffling writing of one John who lived some two thousands years back, and didn't know about combustion from gasoline, oxygen, and an electrical spark.

Susma Rio Sep

Susma Rio Sep,

Thanks for your reply. My allusions to John are in the metaphorical sense.

Wish language

okieinexile said:
Susma Rio Sep,

Thanks for your reply. My allusions to John are in the metaphorical sense.

I have a theory that the use of figurative language is an unspoken wish for a world that is more simple and immediately accessible like the concrete things used in figurative language to refer to things intended by the speaker.

With the ancients who talk in figures I can understand that they know very little and very imprecisely what we now know today, so they speak in figures; otherwise they can't express what they want to, even though paradoxically they don't exactly know what they are talkling about.

Nowadays writers who go on and on in figurative language run the risk of having their audience walk out on them.

What I would like to see in writers and this is my open wish is that they say things clearly, using words which refer to their ideas directly, no need to employ figures. But then I am not an authority in literary styles, just a consumer of language.

Susma Rio Sep

Susma Rio Sep said:
I have a theory that the use of figurative language is an unspoken wish for a world that is more simple and immediately accessible like the concrete things used in figurative language to refer to things intended by the speaker.

With the ancients who talk in figures I can understand that they know very little and very imprecisely what we now know today, so they speak in figures; otherwise they can't express what they want to, even though paradoxically they don't exactly know what they are talkling about.

Nowadays writers who go on and on in figurative language run the risk of having their audience walk out on them.

What I would like to see in writers and this is my open wish is that they say things clearly, using words which refer to their ideas directly, no need to employ figures. But then I am not an authority in literary styles, just a consumer of language.

Susma Rio Sep

Unfortunately, some ideas are not expressable in ordinary language. Wouldn't limiting everyone to just these words and these concepts stifle thought?

I have trouble communicating, at times, because some insist some of the words we DO have don't mean what dictionaries say they mean. In some cases, words have come to define entire concepts that have little, if anything to do with the word itself. And sometimes represent what seems to be the opposite. As if merely using the word itself is what's important.

It makes communication difficult. Some of my own ideas don't have single words to describe them anymore, and finding the right combination of existing words takes considerable effort and some good dictionaries. Because of this, it is usually easier to communicate with people for whom English is a second language as they are also dependent upon dictionaries. Plus, many non-English languages have single words (that haven't been redefined) that represent what might take a whole paragraph to explain, in English.

I try to use analogies. But I sometimes get lazy and speak figuratively instead. I'll try to refrain from that.

D'accord, CSharp.

CSharp said:
Unfortunately, some ideas are not expressable in ordinary language. Wouldn't limiting everyone to just these words and these concepts stifle thought?

I have trouble communicating, at times, because some insist some of the words we DO have don't mean what dictionaries say they mean. In some cases, words have come to define entire concepts that have little, if anything to do with the word itself. And sometimes represent what seems to be the opposite. As if merely using the word itself is what's important.

It makes communication difficult. Some of my own ideas don't have single words to describe them anymore, and finding the right combination of existing words takes considerable effort and some good dictionaries. Because of this, it is usually easier to communicate with people for whom English is a second language as they are also dependent upon dictionaries. Plus, many non-English languages have single words (that haven't been redefined) that represent what might take a whole paragraph to explain, in English.

I try to use analogies. But I sometimes get lazy and speak figuratively instead. I'll try to refrain from that.

Well delivered, CSharp. And I will be guided accordingly.

Don't be offended by my writing style or language or choice of words.

My friends tell me to write a book on "How to antagonize people, and make enemies". Hahaha.

We are all here looking forward to read something useful and even novel, but standing up to common sense.

Susma Rio Sep

Back