The Devil Card

Discussion in 'Magick' started by Bruce Michael, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Bruce Michael

Bruce Michael New Member

Hello All,

Just what does the traditional Tarot card depicting the Devil portray?
    Valentin Tomberg asked the question
    :

"Does it have to do with the cosmic metaphysics of evil, or the history of the rebellion of a part of the celestial hierarchies under the direction of the ancient dragon who swept down a third of the stars (Revelation xii, 3-4)? Is it related to the entity of whom Ezekiel spoke when he said:

(Ezekiel xxviii, 14-17)

But is this what we are looking at with the Devil Card?

Do have another look at the card with this in mind.

-Br.Bruce

2. Eclectic Mystic

Eclectic Mystic Member

Tarot has to involve interpretation, so all I can give you is my perspective. The card represents the Left-hand path which involves seeking power for its own sake. When one does so, they must realize that they are taking themselves too seriously and ought to develop a sense of humor. The left hand path is the one which blatantly disobeys conventional knowledge, which, if done blindly, is inauspicious for obvious reasons. It's like running accross the street without looking simply in spite of your fathers warnings because you want to prove a point. As dogmatic as the dogma it wishes to rebel against.

3. Bruce Michael

Bruce Michael New Member

4. Eclectic Mystic

Eclectic Mystic Member

5. Bruce Michael

Bruce Michael New Member

You mean the Devil card?
    But you see, sequestering of the wrong sort of Elemental beings would snowball one down the wrong path anyway. Little demons become big ones. Major sins always start with minor.

The Scientologists and the offshoot Avatar group recognize this. They call them BTs in Scientology. Though you don't really need to go through all that rigmarole. But then there's not much money in that.;)

-Br.Bruce

6. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

Every card has more than one meaning. Negative and positive..... *nods*

7. shawn

shawn New Member

They are also like that blotter test where you see what is inside of yourself.

8. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Hi again Bruce, why does it seem, where Theosophists show up, the devil isn't far behind :eek: ? Are you gentlefolks into devil worship as well ? Just curious.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!

9. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Staff Member

No, but the TS considers all texts, religious and occult. Remember, the Kabbalah is a major cornerstone of occultism, but I would be surprised if you were to therefore conclude the Jews are therefore "devil worshippers"!

10. Avi

Avi Interfaith Forums

Brian, I will be glad to discuss the role of the devil in Judaism, both in Torah and other Jewish texts. I think it served as a basis for later Western thought about good and evil.

But first, I would like to hear from Bruce about his views and the Theosophical views of the devil. I am wondering if it will give us further insight into the development of Ariosophy, which we know Theosophy was foundational.

11. iBrian

iBrian Peace, Love and Unity Staff Member

Avi, unless you have evidence that the TS is institutionally racist and a driving force behind Neo Nazi, then you're going to have to let it drop - you've become very fixated on the issue, even though we've discussed this many a time and have yet to find any direct promotion of fascist ideals by the TS.

The Nazis were influenced by many sources - Ariosophy is also very influenced by Christian and Pagan ideals. You can't get away from the fact that:

a) anti-semiticism was rife in 19th century central Europe
    b) anti-semitic groups are influenced by a very wide variety of belief systems, and are essentially syncretic

12. Bruce Michael

Bruce Michael New Member