Every Quality has Opposite Poles

Morning Bruce, you might want to get a drink and a cushion for this one, it's a bit of an essay I'm afraid. :)

I had some more explanations about qualities in my last post.

True, and when I mentioned "interesting philisophical points" that was one of the sections I was thinking of, however it doesn't answer the question.It merely explains what you mean by qualities, not how the lectures explain that Bens statement was erroneous.

>While the lecture makes some interesting philisophical points, the science i>s woefully out of date and many of his chains of reasoning would not >stand up to interrogation by a moderately capable GCSE student.

Not really.

You misunderstand me. You mentioned the lectures as a response to the fact that heat is a quantity that is possessed by materials and cannot have a negative value. The lectures do not in fact have anything relavent to say about this. They present steiners interpretations and theories to explain a number of heat phenomena, he uses the Goethen method of questioning to reach his conclusions, and while his methods are sound his conclusions are wrong. This is not a matter of debate.

If you have trouble understanding that let me give you a simpler example.

Aristotle developed the "cystal sphere" theory of the solar system, saying that the sun, moon and planets were fixed on transparent spheres which rotated, causing the movements of the heavens.

It was a good theory, and not only matched the observations of the time, but could be used to make moderately accurate predictions. However over time further investigation proved it to be wrong. The theory is still interesting from a philosophical/psychological point of view but it does not alter the facts. As such it would carry little weight in a discussion of astrophysics, or even particularly in astronomy :rolleyes:

In a similar way, the explanations for the heat phenomena the lectures discuss are known, and have been known for many years. These explanations are simple enough that they are taught to all children before they leave school, hence my comments about GCSE students. It was not meant as an idle attack on the opinions presented.

There are many eminent scientists who discuss and work with these ideas. Since I am not a scientist I suggest you debate these questions with the professionals.

Aah. Well perhaps I should point out that I am a scientist. The link is interesting, but does not wholly support the use of the words "many" or "eminent", at least not together. The most "eminent" scientist I can name who has spoken in favour of Goethe's methods is Planck and he referred to the method not the conclusions. True there are scientists who continue to work with the philosphy and some of them have produced interesting results. However I feel to imply as you do that the technique has widespread scientific acceptance is at best an error and at worst dangerously misleading.

You are talking about measure, weight and number- not quality.
This is an esoteric board- not materialistic science. What is your understanding of light and dark in the higher worlds? How does cold manifest in the etheric world?

But this is esoteric knowledge bruce. :) The physcial and quantum effects that lead to the phenomena are a miracle understood by relatively few people these days. Besides, as soon as you move into the "higher worlds" you deal with belief which is entirely personal matter. Any answer I give is limited by differences between what you and I refer to by the higher worlds.

However since you asked I don't believe "cold" manifests at all on higher planes. It's a function of temperature which is entirely subjective and while we might interpret our experience of this or any other plane as "cold" it doesn't give the word any independant existance.

>This is not the fault of Mr Steiner himself, since the lecture is 87 years o>ld he would be limited by the scientific knowledge of the time,

Newton is older.

That's nice, but I was already aware that the 18th century came well before the early 20th.;) As Newton has no bearing on the point I was making I'm curious as to why you mention him?

Heat is not a measurable scientific but cold is. What is measured is lack of cold. Really there is no such thing as heat, just degrees of cold- stretching forth from "absolute zero"..

Basically you're just looking from the heat angle but my cold angle is just as valid.
Again we have polar opposite views :).

Hmmm. Again I'm sorry bruce but it really isn't. You're confusing the difference between temperature and heat. I can explain further if you want but this is hardly the time for a lesson in scientific terminology. We don't measure lack of cold any more than we measure the lack of water in a desert. We measure the amount of water present, then say that because the value is very small the area is "dry". Dryness is defined by the absence of water. Similarly the sensation "cold" is determined by how much "heat" is present. Neither "dry" or "cold" are a material or force in their own right.

So starting from supreme coldness, primum frigidum, at what point do we talk of heat? If there is such a thing as supreme coldness, ipso facto, there must be lesser degrees of cold.

Supreme coldness was a theory, and was quickly superceded by absolute coldness. (further down the page on wikipedia) There's an important difference there. Would you say there are degrees of absence? To be "Absent" is to not be in a specific place, I cannot be half here half not. How far away I am is immaterial to the point of whether I'm absent or present.

I apologise if I've overdone the scientific part there, but it's important to understand why heat is not polar for some people. When you talk about heat you are actually talking about our perceptions of heat energy. Technically this is "temperature" and not heat. To illustrate the difference, would you consider "Tall" and "Short" to be polar opposites? Most would not, saying that both are merely measures of height. Short is not an opposite of tall, merely a lack of height.

So then to say to people who have a scientific understanding of heat that cold is the opposite of heat is a bit like saying that shortness is the opposite of height. Obviously they do not accept this.

Now the idea of hot and cold as conceptual opposites in our perception of the universe, that's unlikely to find argument. Half this thread seems to ave spawned from you posts "appearing" to dispute the scientific facts instead of debating the concepts. I'm sure that was not your intention, but mixing terminology can be dangerous. I know you've said

We can draw our terminology from anywhere that suits- it's the concepts that are important. The Vedic teachers did a great job inventing terms and we still use them today- that is fine too.

but you have to remember that while it's fine to use any terminology you want personally, if you wish to communicate (and discuss) you ideas with others you must find common terms with which to communicate and consider what the terms you use mean to others. Taking a term which is widely accepted as meaning "A" and using it to mean "B" will only cause confusion. It's much easier to just describe what you want the term to mean.

After all this is the esoteric board. It's the subject of the discussions that's supposed to be esoteric, not the posts. ;)

Hello Mr K.,

>It merely explains what you mean by qualities, not how the lectures >explain that Bens statement was erroneous.

Those lectures describe the nature of heat and how it disappears out of three dimensional space. How does one conceive of heat or cold in an absolute vacuum?

You are thinking of heat as it relates to material bodies.

Apart from metaphorical considerations, there are four principle uses of the term. The first is the most used, and that is heat as sensation.

>You misunderstand me. You mentioned the lectures as a response to the fact that heat is a quantity that is possessed by materials and cannot >have a negative value.

And so we have heat as a sensation (1), (2) temperature, or degree of hotness, (3) quantity of thermal energy, and (4) radiant heat, or energy of radaition.

Yes, heat does not have to be "possessed by materials" as the lectures explained.

As sensation, heat does have a negative value- cold. There is a constant (variable in our extremities) and that is our body temeperature. We all know the difference.

> They present steiners interpretations and theories to explain a number of heat phenomena, he uses the Goethen method of questioning to reach his conclusions,
>and while his methods are sound his conclusions are wrong. This is not a >matter of debate.

That is your opinion. I suggested you take it up with scientists on the mailing list.

Here are a couple of physicists who work with these ideas:

Astro-physicist, Michael Friedjung, Research Director at the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS).
Arthur Zajonc is professor of physics at Amherst College, where he has taught since 1978. He has been visiting professor and research scientist at the Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris, the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics, and a Fulbright professor at the University of Innsbruck in Austria. His research has included studies in parity violation in atoms, the experimental foundations of quantum physics, and the relationship between sciences, the humanities and meditation. He is author of the book: Catching the Light, co-author of The Quantum Challenge, and co-editor of

Goethe’s Way of Science.
Arthur Zajonc | About

>Aristotle developed the "cystal sphere" theory of the solar system, saying that the >sun, moon and planets were fixed on transparent spheres which >rotated, causing >the movements of the heavens.

The ancient Egyptians knew of the Heliocentric system.
The Geocentric system is correct from the etheric point of view.

>In a similar way, the explanations for the heat phenomena the lectures >discuss are known, and have been known for many years.

"An explanation" doesn't mean it's correct. But really either way, as you point out, it doesn't have a bearing on the statement "Every quality has opposite poles".

>Well perhaps I should point out that I am a scientist. The link is interesting, but does not wholly support the use of the words "many" or >"eminent", at least not together.However I feel to imply as you do that >the technique has widespread scientific acceptance is at best an error >and at worst dangerously misleading.

Well I never implied any such thing. I gave you the address one small mailing list. Of course it is borderland science. And scientists who are on the border risk professional isolation; so they are brave men and women. Some are very successful- like Dr. Bevan Reid.

>It's a function of temperature which is entirely subjective and while we might nterpret our experience of this or any other plane as "cold" it doesn't >give the word any independant existance.

Temperature is the quality, hot and cold are the polar opposites.

> As Newton has no bearing on the point I was making I'm curious as to >why you mention him?

He really was another borderland scientist, with a substantial interest in alchemy and spiritual matters.

>We don't measure lack of cold any more than we measure the lack of water in a desert. We measure the amount of water present, then say that. because the value is very small the area is "dry". Dryness is defined >by the absence of water. Similarly the sensation "cold" is determined by >how much "heat" is present. Neither "dry" or "cold" are a material or force >in their own right.

Aren't there any antonyms in your dictionary?
Poverty/Riches- extreme poverty one pole, extreme riches the other.
Wetness/Dryness- extreme wetness one pole, extreme dryness the other.
Suction/Pressure, Shortness/Tallness, Yang/Ying, Chaos/Order etc. etc.

>There's an important difference there. Would you say there are degrees >of absence? To be "Absent" is to not be in a specific place, I cannot be >half here half not. How far away I am is immaterial to the point of >whether I'm absent or present.

What is the quality? The statement didn't say "Every word has opposite poles".

>I apologise if I've overdone the scientific part there, but it's important to >understand why heat is not polar for some people.

Temperature is the quality- temperature is polar. An example might be your reverse cycle airconditioner. You can alter the poles to suit your needs.

>So then to say to people who have a scientific understanding of heat >that cold is the opposite of heat is a bit like saying that shortness is the >opposite of height.

Opposite pole.
BTW the terms hot and cold are used in meteorology. We have "cold fronts", "warm fronts", "wind chill" etc. The warm air and the cold air form bodies.

Fronts: the boundaries between air masses

And again in oceanography we speak of "cold currents" and "warm currents":
Ocean circulation - Encyclopedia of Earth
These currents form bodies, as with air.

As I mentioned before, all this is dynamic, and it is not theory.

>but you have to remember that while it's fine to use any terminology you want personally, if you wish to communicate (and discuss) you ideas with >others you must find common terms with which to communicate and >consider what the terms you

>use mean to others. Taking a term which is widely accepted as meaning "A" and using it to mean "B" will only cause confusion. It's much easier to >just describe what

>you want the term to mean.

I thought I'd made it all crystal clear with my last post to Joseph.
To take take it further:
Scales of weight, scales of music: All of these scales denote graduation (the Holy Grail), one built upon another.

Step by step, we move along the axis from one pole to the other. So you can imagine a staircase, or a line (an axis) in space with graduations. You are standing on the staircase at one end is say "cold", at the other is "hot". As you walk up the stairs (towards a pole) you are getting hotter. If you turn around in the opposite direction (towards a pole) and walk down you are getting colder.

A pole is also one of the ends of the axis of a sphere. The sphere itself is the concept, the quality.
Warm Regards,
Br.Bruce

Three is the Trinity,
Divinity,
Sanctity…
Three is the measure-
Without nothing or void.

Two is the number of
the heart,
of life,
and of life again…
Two becomes significance –