Pope: Other Christians not true churches

Dondi

Reaction score
"It restates key sections of a 2000 document the pope wrote when he was prefect of the congregation, "Dominus Iesus," which set off a firestorm of criticism among Protestant and other Christian denominations because it said they were not true churches but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation."

Source: Yahoo - Pope: Other Christians not true churches

Reminds me of a old joke:

A man dies and goes to heaven. St.Peter gives him a tour around the place. They proceed down a long hallway and come to a door. The man hears much laughter and clinking of glasses and pouring of wine. He asks St.Peter what is behind the door.

St.Peter answers, "Oh, that's just the Presbyterians."

They come to another door and the man hears singing, praises, and loud gospel music.

"Oh, that's just the Baptists," he assures the man.

They proceed down the hall, and another door appears. However, when they reach this door, St. Peter warns the man to be very, very quiet.

"Why?" the man asks.

"Because," St. Peter whispers, "that's the Catholics, and they think they're the only ones up here!"

But I'm interested in the response of Catholics on this forum. Thomas?

If I was Thomas I think I'd feel like Boycott when he used to play for England (he'll understand!);)

s.

Oh, where do we go from here?

Pope Benedict is the head of some billions of Catholics. Do we expect him to say, "yes, but, I mean, we don't believe in it absolutely... "

I'm not making light of a serious point. But nor am I making light of what can be authentically claimed. Direct line of succession from St Peter, and a doctrine that has not shifted from the teachings of the Apostles. We, along with out Orthodox brothers, can claim such.

I am reminded of the late Cardinal John Henry Newman. He is regared by some as the 'Father of Vatican II'.

A philosopher, writer and Anglican minister, JHN began a treatise called "An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine", and finished it as a convert to Catholicism. Of the many reasons he presents why, one was the simple fact that were the fathers of the first century were to return 'today' (1801-1890), then the Catholic Church would be the only doctrine they would recognise, or feel any affinity with.

His opinion. I happen to share it.

What more can I say? I might stress that this does not close the door to ecumenical relations. Pope Benedict has affirmed more than once that Christian, Moslem and Jew should stand shoulder to shoulder in confronting the dehumanising aspects of the modern West.

He has called on the Asian religions likewise.

They, like we, are not obliged to abandon their faith, to talk to their neighbour.

Thomas

As soon as Christianity becomes comfortable, it ceases to be meaningful.

Thomas

~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~

Pope Benedict has quite a track record when it comes to discussing other religions.
"[Pope Benedict] also has not been shy about asserting what he would consider to be the superiority of Roman Catholicism over other branches of Christianity and of Christianity over other religions. In the past he has, for example, referred to Buddhism as an auto-erotic spirituality. And he has most recently opposed the entry of Turkey into the European Union on the grounds that that would dilute the Christian identity of the continent that was after all the cradle of Christian civilization."
Online NewsHour: Pope Benedict XVI Pledges Unity Among Christians and Other Faiths -- April 20, 2005

For those who may not know, the "auto-erotic" comment has been widely discussed and condemned by Buddhists.

It is because of actions such as this (Domine Iesus, its reaffirmation, etc.), that the Church's days may be numbered. This is known, in popular parlance, as shooting oneself in the foot. :eek:

It does more to undermine the Church's message than almost anything else. It creates division where none need exist. It entrenches many a man and woman who would otherwise be plenty ready to move forward, yet who will probably feel that they too, must abide by what the Pope has decreed, since - after all - he is the Pope!

To say that this does not have to "shut down dialogue" or some such, is beside the point. Of course it doesn't. But it does discourage it ... or at least, to those who are not full-fledged members of the "one true Church of Jesus Christ," it certainly seems an affront.

"Oh wait, but I didn't mean it that way!" Is this what Mr. Benedict is going to say ... again? If so, that line is wearing thin.

And ironically, the very folks who STAND for agreement and cooperation amongst all religions ... and who affirm that there are MANY paths to the heart of God, all equally valid & effective (efficiency being the one point open to discussion) - THESE folks (Theosophical, Unitarian Universalist, certain types of Humanists, New Agers, etc.) ... these folks, come under fire for supposedly "claiming some kind of high'n'mighty spiritual ELITISM, superior to all other forms of religion or spiritual practice."

Gimmie a break. But watch what kind of sophistry and casuistry we shall encounter, when the shoe is on the other foot. I must defend my faith (or spiritual path) here at CR, when it comes under fire ... yet somehow, even when the eyes of the WHOLE WORLD can see - we are supposed to believe that the Roman Catholic Church doesn't mean EXACTLY what it says, namely that:
people outside of Christianity are "in a gravely deficient situation in comparison with those who, in the Church, have the fullness of the means of salvation", and that non-Catholic Christian communities [have] "defects". (Domine Iesus)
For the record, Thomas, it is not Roman Catholicism which I abhor. It is the arrogance, the ignorance, and the smug, spiritual self-righteousness which allows - not just the "common man" - but in fact, a POPE (or even SEVERAL of them) ... to take such a stance, initiate such offensive doctrines (TOTALLY out of sync with the original intent of Christ and the Apostles, of this we can be certain) ... and to foist such documents and viewpoints upon a laity that is duty-bound to accept such a perspective unquestioningly.

It is one thing for a person to swell with pride, and declare that HIS religion, and HIS spiritual understanding, is greater than another man's ... or to insist that HIS path leads straight to the heart of God, while his brother's path simply meanders, and never quite reaches the goal, or does so at great cost - and much slower than his own.

But it is another, and far worse CRIME - to issue such a TRAVESTY as Domine Iesus ... as POPE! :eek: :(

It is because of just such an error, that Christianity's Saviour uttered such a thing as, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." :(

The worst part of this ... as I say, is that MANY a "good Catholic" will have the understandable and natural "gut feeling" that something is wrong with Domine Iesus, and this reaffirmation ... but s/he will, in the last analysis, say things like, "My opinion doesn't matter; I do not fully agree, BUT it is beside the point. THE POPE has spoken, HE has endorsed this, and thus I too, must accept the position."

If Christ could roll over in His grave, He would DO so at this point. As it is, I wonder if He is forced to sigh, and say something like, "When will they see, the humor in that joke IS my point?" :eek: (see Dondi's original post)

And so, again, I have no idea whether the visit before Pope Innocent III by St. Francis of Assisi and his followers - as depicted in the Franco Zeffirelli movie `Brother Sun, Sister Moon' - is accurate. But if so, I would encourage folks to view that movie, and note that scene in particular. Good ol' Sir Alec Guinness, `Obiwan Kenobe' of Star Wars, portrays the Pope, and the scene in question is quite powerful (it brings such tears to my eyes, every time).

I know that Ratzinger, Pope Benedict the 16th, is just a fill-in, and that we certainly await a pontiff who is more worthy of the title `FATHER,' in concert with the Aramaic `abba.' But I wonder, how many more blunders can we bear ... before irreparable damage has been done?

I am especially interested, MuslimWoman, in what your experience has been ... going back a year or so (?) to the first great blunder of Joe Ratzinger. How did you receive, and understand that, and what was your experience, among other Muslims, in Egypt (or in any other connection, perception, etc.)? Perhaps that should be on another thread, or feel free to PM me.

But I also wonder, for those who are NOT Christians (or at least, folks who do not feel obliged to defend Catholicism and Papal Bull at all costs), how does Ratzinger's endorsement and restatement of Domine Iesus strike you? Do you feel that, even with a stretch, it is understandable, or justifiable, that Ratzinger has taken such actions?

The parts of the article you linked that concern me, flow, are mostly thus:
But Bishop Wolfgang Huber, head of the Protestant umbrella group Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD), said the new Vatican document effectively downgraded Protestant churches and would make ecumenical relations more difficult.​
Huber said the new pronouncement repeated the "offensive statements" of the 2000 document and was a "missed opportunity" to patch up relations with Protestants.​
"The hope for a change in the ecumenical situation has been pushed further away by the document published today," he said.​
A statement from The French Protestant Federation said that while the document was an internal pronouncement of the Catholic Church, it would have "external repercussions."​
Bishop Friedrich Weber of Germany's United Evangelical Lutheran Church said the pronouncement "makes me sad," adding that the official Vatican teaching did not reflect the grass roots reality of inter-denominational dialogue in many communities.​
And these reactions, I will point out, are from other CHRISTIAN leaders ... prominent and respected leaders from within the Protestant Church. You know, the OTHER Christians ... :p

I mean, how many times can Ratzinger insert the knife, twist, then say, "Bear in mind, I want to strengthen relations with other Christian churches, and with people of other religions?" :eek:

Is he really fooling anyone except the hardline Catholics? :eek: :(

No, it's not Roman Catholicism that upsets me. Why should it?
It's things like THIS ...

~Andrew

My bad ... I stand corrected. There are at least three major, offensive statements - or actions - so far attributed to Ratzinger. I'm sure we're overlooking some things ... but "auto-erotic spirituality?"

Come on - I thought we dismissed with such IGNORANT interpretations of Tantra at least several decades ago ... is THIS still all that Ratzinger can make out of yab-yum?

Talk about spiritually destitute ...

Thomas, as someone whom I know KNOWS better ... care to share for the non-Buddhists among us what YAB YUM is? I know that YOU could probably explain it from a position or perspective that I cannot.

Let's see, which is more important, helping the masses to understand something which USED to be misinterpreted and misrepresented for simple enough reasons .... or towing the party line. Hmmmm ....

Edit: Lol, Nick, I hear ya! It really would be appropriate now. I have a great deal of respect for Don Novello though, and I'm uneasy about risking a potential copyright violation. He has an official website! I just wish HE were Pope ... or even George Carlin, from his role in the movie Dogma. :eek: :p

Hi Andrew — Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm glad that you allow there might be more to this than meets the eye.

There are at least three major, offensive statements - or actions - so far attributed to Ratzinger. I'm sure we're overlooking some things ... but "auto-erotic spirituality?"

Come on - I thought we dismissed with such IGNORANT interpretations of Tantra at least several decades ago ... is THIS still all that Ratzinger can make out of yab-yum?

Talk about spiritually destitute ...

Thomas, as someone whom I know KNOWS better ... care to share for the non-Buddhists among us what YAB YUM is? I know that YOU could probably explain it from a position or perspective that I cannot.

Better than that, I can put the quote in its proper perspective.

The remark was printed in the March 1997 issue of L'Express which reported that in off-the-cuff remarks he had called Buddhism an “auto-erotic spirituality” and suggested it was more dangerous than Marxism.

1: The words used, in French, were auto-erotisme, which more properly translates to "self-absorption" or "narcissism."

2: Pope Benedict was referring not to Buddhism itself, but to a faulty manner of approach, common in the West (which declares it not a religion but a philosophy) and which says more about Westerners than Buddhism.

3: The remark was 'off the cuff' meaning, I think, 'overheard' and had he known he would be reported he propbably would have employed a simpler term more suited to the simpler intellect of his eavesdropper.

4: I have heard similar, although not so pointed nor precise, observations, made in private discussions between myself and a Daoist, who lamented the often self-serving ends to which profound psychospiritual techniques were being deployed. It is not Buddhism, but the material use to which a spiritual discipline is put, and this is its polarity to Marxism.

Neither transcend the human condition — which is precisely what Buddhism sets out to do — but have the converse effect of desacralising and thus dehumanising it.

5: I have researched other, equally lamentable, reports. A common thread would appear to be the Holy Father's practice, perhaps an understandable failing among highly intelligent men, of giving the benefit of the doubt in assuming their audience, in the spirit of the dialogue, might actually try and rise to the occasion.

It's noticable that it is rarely the audience — intelligent, rational and not easily awed by authority — who complain, but the observing media which seems to delight in making mischief, a sentiment which I would have thought bitter experience might lead us to share?

A brief look at Pope Benedict's academic record can leave one in no doubt that the man is neither ignorant nor an idiot.

Thomas

I suppose if one believes that Religion X is the “right” one then by default Religions non-X will have to be, by varying degrees wrong. This does not have to mean that inter faith dialogue cannot, should not or does not take place of course. Maybe it’s true of other religions as well, but after reading around a bit on this the Catholic Church does seem to be constantly wanting to have its cake and eat it. On the one hand you see regular references to respect for other faiths and in the next breath you see them described in negative terms. I remember John Paul II’s take on Buddhism, which I’m afraid I wouldn’t even describe as accurate. Buddhism was described in essence as being about non-attachment to the world.

“We do not free ourselves from evil through the good which comes from God; we liberate ourselves only through detachment from the world, which is bad. The fullness of such a detachment is not union with God, but what is called nirvana, a state of perfect indifference with regard to the world. To save oneself means, above all, to free oneself from evil by becoming indifferent to the world, which is the source of evil. This is the culmination of the spiritual process.”

Sorry John, wrong. Buddhism is concerned with non-attachment of the ego, and being awake to the reality of the world. If I wanted a solid understanding of what the Catholic Church was about I wouldn’t turn to a communication by a Zen Priest. I’m a little bemused as to how a Pope can make public declarations as to what other faiths are all about, let alone make judgments on them. I suppose one way to sell more of your goods is to criticise the opposition’s products.

s.

I'm wondering if the statement the Pope made was intented more for the adherents of the Catholic Church, rather than directed at those outside the circle of Catholic Orthodoxy.

While the number of Catholics around the world has increased over 1.114 billion people (as of 2004), the percentage of Catholics to the world population has been fairly steady at roughly 17-18% since 1970 (Source: Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA)). Which basically means that the Church been trying to keep it's foot in the door. Meanwhile, according to the same report, the number of priests, religious brothers, and religious sisters have been steadily declining, which make me wonder if the ratio between parish priests and congregation members have been strained, since the number of parishes have increased while the priests have been on the decline. Then you have the matter that the total enrollment of Catholic students in U.S. Catholic schools have decreased by 1.8%, or 42,569 students over the past year, according to this article. Or course, increased tuition in this schools hasn't helped.

Do you suppose that the Pope's statement was an attempt to appeal to the masses to return to the faith?

Hey, it's beneficial to examine oneself or group for 'wounds,' and treat them before they fester. While I might agree with the Pope that many Christian organizations have wounds, I'm skeptical towards his explanation for the cause of these wounds. :)

I think the contrast is made because relativism so dominates the thinking in the West that we are used to 'ecumenism' meaning ignoring differences, pretending they're not really important, not really there, or don't make a difference when we love God, or papering over the wounds.

If Benedict is one thing, he's a philosopher with no time for relativism, and has spoken against it consistently. So if one is to live and deal in the 'real world' one has to acknowledge 'real world' differences, and what that implies.

One favourtite relativist chestnut is the statement that all religions do/say the same thing. That they're all equal, and in theory you can switch from one to another with no real ultimate effect. It's born out of anti-authoritarianism and the romance movements of the nineteenth century. It goes hand in hand with the rejection of hierarchy, and yet nowhere in nature is there not hierarchy, unless its in a state of chaos.

Thomas

Oh,

I'm not making light of a serious point. But nor am I making light of what can be authentically claimed. Direct line of succession from St Peter, and a doctrine that has not shifted from the teachings of the Apostles. We, along with out Orthodox brothers, can claim such.

Thomas
And what is such a claim? Its no different to a monarchy of inbreds. A lineage such as that is a ridiculous notion on which to base pre-eminence upon. Lets remember also that the history of the Catholic church is also one of execution, murder, burnings, intolerance and political meddling that resulted in many terrible wars. yeh.... some lineage indeed.
The Facts about Benedict are for me clear. Before coming into the top job he was instrumental in trying to cover up the countless accusations of paedophilia and physical abuse by priests and sisters around the world on children. Since becoming Pope he has made gaff after gaff after gaff showing an insensitivity to a secular world that is so overt that it cannot be accidental.

Personaly I think him a pompous self-important fool and exactly what the Catholic church did not need at this point in history.

Tao

I think the contrast is made because relativism so dominates the thinking in the West that we are used to 'ecumenism' meaning ignoring differences, pretending they're not really important, not really there, or don't make a difference when we love God, or papering over the wounds.

If Benedict is one thing, he's a philosopher with no time for relativism, and has spoken against it consistently. So if one is to live and deal in the 'real world' one has to acknowledge 'real world' differences, and what that implies.

One favourtite relativist chestnut is the statement that all religions do/say the same thing. That they're all equal, and in theory you can switch from one to another with no real ultimate effect. It's born out of anti-authoritarianism and the romance movements of the nineteenth century. It goes hand in hand with the rejection of hierarchy, and yet nowhere in nature is there not hierarchy, unless its in a state of chaos.

Thomas
Where one person sees a hierarchy, another person sees elitism, while where one person sees subtle order, another person sees chaos.

Sure, we can see hierarchies in nature, and they are not always pretty. We can also see man made hierarchies that people might in the beginning think to be beautiful, only to witness them to later become corrupt.

Some people need rigid hierarchies, and thrive in them, while others become apathetic in them. Personally, would I prefer that people thrive, whether it be in a strong hierarchy, or whether it be in a more subtle arrangement.

My two cents.

And what is such a claim?
Continuity.

Its no different to a monarchy of inbreds.
Actually it's quite different. No genetic issues, leadership by election, etc., etc.

Lets remember also that the history of the Catholic church is also one of execution, murder, burnings, intolerance and political meddling that resulted in many terrible wars. yeh.... some lineage indeed.
And if the Catholic Church had never existed, none of these things would have ever happened. Its a specious argument. Do we do away with every sociopolitical system?

Marie Stopes, who pioneered family planning in the UK, did it only because she believed in eugenics, and wanted to stop the working classes overpopulating. When her son fell in love with a woman suffering from poor eyesight, she disowned him.

It's not the institutions, it's the people — and we're back to 'let he who is without sin... '

Since becoming Pope he has made gaff after gaff after gaff showing an insensitivity to a secular world that is so overt that it cannot be accidental.
Then perhaps he is not insensitive at all, and perhaps they were not gaffs at all, and perhaps he's saying things that nobody wants to hear ... and perhaps it hardly matters what he says, as people are so fixed in their opinions ...

And perhaps when he does act, he acts where it counts, and doesn't posture for the media, as so many do, and actually do nothing at all.

Thomas

Back