Hello

StrandgecK

Reaction score
While looking up some info on the different types of Buddhists I came across this forum and I have decided to add what I can to this community.. and hopefully learn as well.

I don't really know what to say to go about introducing my self, so I guess I'll just give the current state of who I am. The past year or so I've been curious about religions and started reading. Thus far I've found my self agreeing with most of the Buddhist ideas, with the exception of some of the more spiritual aspects of it (such as Karma). But I refrain from calling my self a Buddhist (if that's even a title one can give himself?) because I think religious titles are irrelevant, as are religions. The universe will exist as it has always existed regardless of what anyone believes and it needs to stop being such an issue so that we can get on exploring it together. If I were to give my self a title however I guess it would a Buddhist Bill Hicks, if you are familiar with either of those you have a pretty good idea of my ideology. :)

Hi Strandgeck, and welcome to CR. :)

This is especially warmed by your mention of Bill Hicks - one of the best social comedians of the past 20 years. Shame we lost that one.

Buddhism: elites and masses

StrandgecK said:

The past year or so I've been curious about religions and started reading. Thus far I've found my self agreeing with most of the Buddhist ideas, with the exception of some of the more spiritual aspects of it (such as Karma). But I refrain from calling my self a Buddhist (if that's even a title one can give himself?) because I think religious titles are irrelevant, as are religions. The universe will exist as it has always existed regardless of what anyone believes and it needs to stop being such an issue so that we can get on exploring it together. If I were to give my self a title however I guess it would a Buddhist Bill Hicks, if you are familiar with either of those you have a pretty good idea of my ideology. :)

Bill Hicks, he was a satirist comedian who annoyed a lot of people, for telling things the way they are, notwithstanding that people are accustomed to not see everything in their line of sight.

You say:
Thus far I've found my self agreeing with most of the Buddhist ideas, with the exception of some of the more spiritual aspects of it (such as Karma).

For my own curiosity, if I may, can you give me just five things that you agree with in Buddhism?

What do you think of my observation that Buddhism can be divided into that of the vast masses and that of the elites?

One last question: What do you think would be the reaction of Bill Hicks to your statement:
Thus far I've found my self agreeing with most of the Buddhist ideas, with the exception of some of the more spiritual aspects of it (such as Karma).

If I were Bill I think this is what I would say to you, if I may: "If you find yourself agreeing with most of Buddhistic ideas, then you should not have to give it any credit."

Susma Rio Sep

My understanding of Buddhism if of the very surface level of it.. I've been reading "Buddhism: A concise introduction" by Smith and Novak and I've been googling around reading what the internet has to offer.
I like the idea of not letting the six main things that often get in the way of other relgions (authority, ritual, speculation, tradition, grace, mystery) cloud ones view. I agree with looking at the world with a more logical mindset. Which is what I see the noble truths and the path as, a logical set of observations and a logical course of steps to dealing with them. There's a lot I dont know about Buddhism, especially the different types and what exactly differs between them.

What do you think of my observation that Buddhism can be divided into that of the vast masses and that of the elites?
I know to little to even begin to form an opinion on that. I do however remember you (or someone else or maybe it was an entirely different site :confused: ) saying something about it.. but I can't seem to find the thread now.

One last question: What do you think would be the reaction of Bill Hicks to your statement
Exactly what you said.. and he'd be right.

Seeking company...

StrandgecK said:
My understanding of Buddhism if of the very surface level of it.. I've been reading "Buddhism: A concise introduction" by Smith and Novak and I've been googling around reading what the internet has to offer.
I like the idea of not letting the six main things that often get in the way of other relgions (authority, ritual, speculation, tradition, grace, mystery) cloud ones view. I agree with looking at the world with a more logical mindset. Which is what I see the noble truths and the path as, a logical set of observations and a logical course of steps to dealing with them. There's a lot I dont know about Buddhism, especially the different types and what exactly differs between them.

I know to little to even begin to form an opinion on that. I do however remember you (or someone else or maybe it was an entirely different site :confused: ) saying something about it.. but I can't seem to find the thread now.

Exactly what you said.. and he'd be right.

Thanks, Stran, for your courteous and cordial replies.

I ask questions of a personal nature to find out how my own experience with relgion compares with other peoples' -- seeking some kind of assurance and comfort in kindred company...?

Susma Rio Sep

seeking some kind of assurance and comfort in kindred company...?

If you mean do I not want someone to ask me questions such as you did, then no. I'd prefer it if people did that.
If you mean did I reply 'courteously and cordially' just for the purpose of you not being mad at me, that also is no.
If you meant something else entirely different... then im probably just being stupid and missing the nature of your question.

Let me try again.

StrandgecK said:
If you mean do I not want someone to ask me questions such as you did, then no. I'd prefer it if people did that.
If you mean did I reply 'courteously and cordially' just for the purpose of you not being mad at me, that also is no.
If you meant something else entirely different... then im probably just being stupid and missing the nature of your question.

Good friend, Strandgeck:

Let's go together through my earlier post again, shall we?

Thanks, Stran, for your courteous and cordial replies.

I ask questions of a personal nature to find out how my own experience with relgion compares with other peoples' -- seeking some kind of assurance and comfort in kindred company...?

Susma Rio Sep

The line you are curious about means that I am trying to seek some kind of assurance and comfort in kindred company for myself -- absolutely nothing that should alarm you in any way.

Best regards,

Susma Rio Sep

Susma, can you please try to keep religious discussions on the religious boards?

At the moment you are in danger of being seen to interrogate new members, rather than simply be welcoming of them - which is the purpose of the "Introductions" board. :)

Originally posted by I, Brian
Susma, can you please try to keep religious discussions on the religious boards?

At the moment you are in danger of being seen to interrogate new members, rather than simply be welcoming of them - which is the purpose of the "Introductions" board. :)
Thank you, I, Brian, for catching this and taking care of it. I'm sorry I was a bit remiss concerning it, but I haven't been on a computer since roughly early Thursday.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back