All you can eat

okieinexile

Reaction score
By Bobby Neal Winters

My friend Mike was driving Lloyd and me up to an "all you can eat" place a cold weekend a couple of weeks ago in his SUV when Lloyd requested Mike turn back so that we could get a closer look at something. Lloyd's sharp eye had caught sight of something in the back of a pickup truck in a sporting goods store parking lot.

"In the bed of that truck," he said. "In the bed of that red truck."
Mike pulled his vehicle up to the back of the truck as Lloyd had instructed, and we looked at the contents. It was such a strange sight that it took our brains a while to process it. They were dead. That was sure, but dead what? There were two of them, each covered with brown fur.

Mike, who was not in the best position to see but is never at a loss for words, was the first to speak. His tone was tentative, "Bears?"

They were big and furry enough to be brown bears, but they had snouts and tusks.

"Boars," came the answer. And it was true. Two huge wild boars lay before us, freshly dead with steam rising into the cold air from the hot blood of the wounds in their sides.

Our curiosity thus sated, we continued to the buffet, and I must say that the Sweet-and-Sour Pork with the red sauce never tasted better.
Seeing the dead wild boars reminded me of the days when hunting and killing was required to live. Most of us are separated from the things such as that make our way of life possible. If you eat a steak or a hamburger, then someone has had to raise a cow and kill it. Those of us who eat meat, like I do, live from the death of other animals. This should make us pause.

In doing some research the other day for a talk that I gave to a women's group at my church, I looked back at my favorite Bible story, that of Adam and Eve. There had been no death in the world until Adam and Eve sinned, and the first death was that of animals that were killed to cover their nakedness. From the Biblical point-of-view, we can't just say that God created animals for us to eat, because it was Man's sin that necessitated the first animal death.

There are religions that teach vegetarianism, and there are others that teach abstaining from meat on certain holy days. On the other hand, there are animal rights groups whose devotion to the cause borders on religious. Where PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, stands along this continuum, is not for me to say. However, I've been hearing things about PETA bubbling up from my native Oklahoma.

The first bubble came from my brother. He told me, "Those folks at PETA are trying to get them to change the name of Slaughterville."
For those of you who don't know, Slaughterville is a little town south of Norman, Oklahoma. In the course of the research I did for this story, I discovered it was named after Bill Slaughter, who was a prominent early day resident. This surprised me because everything we drove through it when I was growing up, Dad told about a horrible highway accident that had happened there, and I always thought that had something to do with the name.

The folks at PETA offered the good citizens of Slaughterville $20000 in veggie burgers for their school as an enticement to change the name to Veggieville. As near as I can understand the Okie mind, I suspect the folks in Slaughterville contemplated this offer seriously for 3.5 seconds before turning it down. That’s just as well. It could be that the school children in Slaughterville are more enlightened in their tastes that I was at that age, but it is likely that the veggie burgers would have wound up being used as Frisbees, and that is a lot of Frisbees.

This story has been widely reported, and widely ridiculed, perhaps deservedly. I know I've laughed a lot, and plan to laugh more.

However, maybe we should think. We live in a world where we don't raise our own food, weave our own cloth, make our own clothes, and where we are becoming increasingly separated from nature. Perhaps we should pause as we take our next bite of meat that something has had to die for us to enjoy it. Perhaps a little reverence is called for as we decide between the chicken and the pork at the buffet.

Gluttony

Who know about the seven capital sins?

Here they are, I hope I remember them all, and correctly:

Gluttony, lust, avarice, envy, pride, sloth, anger.

I can’t forget them since I memorized the list in my First Communion Class at the age of seven.

I might be mistaken about the items included in the list; so correct me those of you who also had many years of Catholic education.

Before I proceed further… I am now a postgraduate Catholic, meaning I am dis-engaged from the Catholic faith; although I feel like telling people what exactly is the teaching of the Catholic Church as the occasion calls for the correct information.

Gluttony is the vice of excessive eating and drinking.

Here is the Pharisee in me, for what I am going to say now: I have never entered any eating place with the offer “All you can eat”, to eat all I can eat. Why? Not because it’s a sin – of course it is; but because it is against good health practice.

Another reason is because I feel ashamed for not observing the dictate of moderation which even pagan philosophers before Christianity from the East and the West advocated as dictated by man’s rational nature.

I assume however that Okie and his companion went to the “All You Can Eat” place, not really to indulge in gluttony, but to enjoy the choice of eating different dishes and to a good measure of sufficiency.

I used to come across the Latin word, “vomitorium”; it means a place in the mansions of wealthy Romans where they would go to vomit what they had eaten and imbibed to satiety in long lasting banquets, so that they could return to the banquet table with an evacuated stomach to eat some more, i.e. to enjoy more foods and drinks.

Those guys were really into the vice of gluttony.

You know, I never seemed to have believed that the ancient Romans in fact indulge in that kind of a vice; because we know that once you throw up, you don’t feel like eating anymore. More probably such accounts of Romans indulging abominably in that gluttonous practice came from Christian apologists writing against the pagan excesses in catering to their belly and to their gonads.

Any example if gluttony in the Gospel? How about that wedding banquet in Canaan where Jesus and His mother Mary were invited?

“There is no more wine”, Mary told Jesus. So Jesus directed the servants to fill the already depleted giant amphoras with water, and He presumably turned the water into wine which the servants served to the guests.

According to the mayordomo it was better than that served by the host earlier. He praised the host: “Most people serve the good wine at the start, and when the guest have gotten tipsy, the wine of lesser quality; but you have supplied good and even better wine up to these late hours.”

So, the guests were already drunk and Jesus still provided more for them to get still further inebriated...?*

Susma Rio Sep

*According to some unsympathetic commentators, the water remained plain water, but the guests were so drunk they could not taste water for what it was, water. However, it was the mayordomo who congratulated the host. Maybe he was also himself dead drunk.

Susma Rio Sep said:
Here is the Pharisee in me, for what I am going to say now: I have never entered any eating place with the offer “All you can eat”, to eat all I can eat. Why? Not because it’s a sin – of course it is; but because it is against good health practice.

Would you eat at the same place if it were called a buffet? These places are popular because there is the option to return for 2nds, and option that one has at home.

Honestly

okieinexile said:
Would you eat at the same place if it were called a buffet? These places are popular because there is the option to return for 2nds, and option that one has at home.

Yes, but only when invited by others and they pay for me. Why don't I motu proprio eat at a buffet? It seems to be more expensive than the meal that I usually need. And being a frugal or stingy person aside from being an abstemious diner I don't feel inclined to try the various offerings available in a buffet. Buffets seem to be also set up on the same encentive as "eat all you can".

But when I see an ad like "All you can eat", then definitely I am not inclined to enter the eatery sporting the ad; I feel a bit of antipathy for the owners of such places. They seem to entertain the idea that people will want to eat all they can eat, and they are contributing to the bane of modern life -- obesity with all its consequent diseases of the blood, the heart, and the kidney, and also liver.

Well, that's the Pharisee in me. So, woe is me.

Susma Rio Sep

PS I must admit that I don't feel comfortable with a full stomach, much less with a stuffed one. Maybe that is the real reason I don't feel inclined to patronize eateries offering to serve all you can eat.

Heh, some people might start thinking you're preaching vegetarianism, Bobby. :D

The Fool said:
Heh, some people might start thinking you're preaching vegetarianism, Bobby. :D
A serious case can be made. God allowed the eating of animals, but it was to accommadate Man's sin. I am not called to vegetarianism, but it is because of my weakness. Were I stronger, I might consider it.

Back