Stories about Jesus

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
I thought I would post some storiues about Jesus that were told by Abdul-Baha and not so well known. Here is one:

THE CLAY BIRD.

In the Koran are things referring to Christ not mentioned in the Gospels.

For instance:

It is said that Christ took a bit of clay and shaped it into the form of a bird.
Then he blew upon it, and it flew away.

The interpretation of this is that the bird symbolizes an earthly man, who received spiritual education through the Christ.

The story says:

"life blew up on it, and it flew away."

This means that the man received the breath of Life Eternal, and through this enlightenment, soared into the Heaven of Knowledge.

(From My visit to Akka M. A. L.
- SW, Vol. 9, p. 211

There reference SW means "Star of the West" magazine which was distributed primarily by the Baha'is in the United States early in the twentieth century.

The poor man who wanted to marry a princess:

This is a rather long story found in Star of the West...but worth the read. I decided to collect some of these together for anyone to peruse:

STORY OF JESUS AND THE POOR
MAN WHO WANTED TO MARRY
A PRINCESS.

It is said that Jesus entered a village.

In those days many houses were broken into and everything carried away by the robbers; hence the authorities had issued an order that none of the inhabitants should entertain strangers in their homes, fearing that they might be in alliance with the robbers outside. Jesus stopped before the house of a very poor old woman, and knocked at the door.

The old woman opened the door, and saw that Jesus was seeking a shelter.

Looking into the face of Jesus, and be holding his gentleness, humility and spirituality, she did not have the heart to refuse Him and send Him away.

Therfore with the utmost respect she invited Him to enter the house.

From his speech and conduct, the old woman intuitively felt that she was entertaining more than an ordinary mortal. She came forward and kissing his hand said:

"Save my son, I have no one else in this world. Up to a short time ago he has been sober, intelligent and industrious, and his income is our sole support. But
now he has become moody, morose and irritable. Where as formerly ours was a home of joy and happiness, now it is changed into a home of mourning and sadness. He works all day, but when he comes home he does not speak, and moves restlessly all night in his bed. To all my pleading questions he turns away his face and does not answer"

Jesus said: "Send him to us I will speak with him!"

After sunset, the son returned to the house. His mother went to him and said,

"We have a guest tonight who is noble and spiritual. If you have any trouble go and tell it to him. I feel sure he can help you." At first he did not want to go, hut the solicitous mothier persuaded lism to do so. At last lie consented. Entering the room, he found Jesus sitting on the floor. Immediately Jesus was on his feet, welcoming the wayward son.

After a few moments of intimate talk, Jesus asked the boy:

"Well, my son, tell me, what troubles you? What is the cause of your worry?" He replied: "Nothing."

"You are not telling the truth. I know you are laboring under the weight of a great pain, my son. Tell me the cause of your trainable I am interested in your welfare and my heart is full of sympathy for you. Rest assured that I will not divulge your secret to any human being. I will keep it to myself and will do my utmost to lighter the burden. Am I not your kind father and you my beloved son?"

"My pain is irremediable!" the boy said, softening the tone of lis answer somewhat under the loving gaze of Jesus. "I will find a remedy for it," Jesus answered. "Oh! I know so well that no one is able to take away this load from my heart."

"I am able!" "But you are powerless.

You are a poor man like us. You have no remedy for my malady."

"I am powerful and I am a Physician for all manner of diseases!"

"This is impossible. There is no man living who can claim so much," he said, yet impressed by the gentle authoritative tone of Jesus.

"Come! Come! Tell me the secret of your heart!"

"But I feel ashamed to confess it to you."

"Did I not tell you that you are my son? And why should there be anything but perfect trust between the son and the father?"

"But I feel it is not proper to speak about these things. Beside, I can not find words to adequately express my inmost feelings and then I am afraid I shall be misunderstood."

"No! No! You are my real son! I will surely understand you. Be not afraid. Be frank!"

After a moment of silence lie said:

"In the neighborhood of this village there is the summer palace of the king. Once I saw his daughter walking in the meadows. I loved her at first sight. She is the daughter of a mighty king, and I am a poor, miserable thorn picker. I cannot say more!" And he began to weep.

His Holiness consoled him and said: "Rest assured, God willing your hope will be realized."

In brief, after awhile Jesus so arranged everything that the king consented to give his daughter to the poor thorn picker.

For days the royal preparations went on, and the date for the marriage was fixed.

All the time the boy was very happy: he thought he was in a fairy dreamland; he could not believe that this was all real.

When he entered the marriage room, and saw all around the exquisite decorations and furnishings, and then looked into the face of the beautiful bride suddenly a thought sprang up in his mind:

"This man (Jesus) has been the instrument of giving to me this undreamed of felicity, this wonderful bride for whom I was pining in my solitude in the wilder ness;

He has made it possible for me to enjoy all this luxury and comfort. If He were so powerful to prepare all these things for me, a poor peasant boy, why should He not have done the same for himself?

If He could spread such a banquet of rejoicing for me, he could do it for Himself a hundred times better.

Not withstanding this ideal power, He is still walking in the wilderness, eating the grass, sleeping on the ground, sitting in the darkness and living altogether a life of poverty."

No sooner had this thought come to his mind than he turned his face to his bride, and said:

"Stay where you are; I have important business to attend to. I shall return as soon as I have finished my work."

This said, he ran out of the room and, hastened toward the wilderness.

After much search, he found Jesus sitting on a rock. Impetuously He prostrated on the ground, and kissed his feet and hands.

"0 my Lord! Thou wast not just towards me. Thou hast not treated me fairly.''

''How is that?

Why so? Have I not realized for thee the highest desire of your heart "

"Yes, yes! But you have desired for me that which you would not desire for yourself. Surely, surely, I am must possess something by far greater and more important than that which you bestowed upon me. If these things were acceptable and worthy of possession, you would have chosen them for yourself. Therefore, it is self evident that you have something more valuable and precious than all these things. Oh! I feel so sad and ashamed, because you have granted me those things which are rot worthy of your own consideration!"

His Holiness smiled and said:

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, thou art telling the truth. But hast thou the capability and worthiness to possess that pearl of Great Price?"

"0 my Lord and my hope! I will strive and pray to become worthy!"

"Art thou able to leave all these things behind?''

"Yes.''

Then "verily I declare unto thee, I possess the mysteries of the Kingdom, which are the Knowledge of God, the Love of God and the Guidance of God. These are greater than all worldly possessions. Now if thou art willing to possess the jewels of the Kingdom, follow me."

He followed Christ till they joined the apostles. Then addressing his disciples, He introduced to them his new flower

"I have had a treasure which was hidden in this village. I have just now un earthed it. Here is my treasure."

(Told by Abdu'l Baha. From Diary
of Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, July 3, 1914.
- SW, Vol. 9, p. 214

Symbolic meaning of walking on the sea...

The Symbolic Meaning of Walking on the Sea

Words of Abdu'l Baha: From the Notes of Miss E. Rosenberg, 1901

IN this story (the "miracle" of Jesus walking on the water) of our Lord Jesus, the Sea of Tiberius represents the ocean of creation, the two shores represent earthly truth and spiritual truth.

The boat or ark stands. for arguments and reasons by which men acquire knowledge and in this boat Jesus' disciples were tossed on the waves of the ocean of creation.

The shore which Jesus left in order to come to them, walking on the water, represents earthly knowledge. The haven or shore to which he guided them represents spiritual knowledge.

There are three ways of apprehending Truth:

1. The earthly way, by means of the five senses;

2. The way of argument and reasoning and all philosophers have taught that it is possible to reach the knowledge of all truth by this method;

3. The spiritual way, by which man receives knowledge from the inner light or inspiration.

The ancient philosophers and indeed the philosophers of all times have taught that the first method, that is by means of the live senses, was the one certain way of knowing truth, for instance, people in the desert often see a most beautiful mirage of trees and water, but the nearer you approach to this phantom, the more it fades away, and you begin to perceive its unreality. All this proves that the evidence of the senses alone is not to be relied on for conceiving the truth.

The ancient philosophers have also taught that by the intellect (the second method of argument and reasoning) accurate and absolute knowledge of everything can be obtained But it is evident that we cannot rely on this second method of obtaining knowledge to insure absolute accuracy.

Successive philosophizers are always contradicting each other, and propounding diverse theories. If absolute knowledge were to be obtained by this means, the wisest philosophers would agree in saying the same things.

There is yet a third method of acquiring knowledge, by revelation, or the in spired books; but the difficulty in this case is that every person's interpretation of the book is colored by his own individuality.

In the time of Jesus Christ, the Jews were prevented from accepting Him by clinging to the literal interpretation of their Book.

As we have before said in the account of this miracle, the disciples of Jesus are tempted to sail over the sea of creation in the ark of argument and reasoning, finding great difficulty and danger in proving the truth by so doing. But when Christ, the Light of the world, who knew all things by the light of inner spiritual illumination, came to them in their boat, walking by his knowledge over the ocean of existence, and having no need of the ark of argument, then immediately they were at their desired haven.

Mashriqu'l Adhkar Convention and Bahai Congress

- SW, Vol. 8, p. 115

Symbolism of Mary and the Ointment:

Abdu'l Baha said the story of Mary and the ointment has a deep spiritual significance.

The bottle which contained perfumed oil (ointment) represents the heart of Mary. The ointment is the love of God which filled her heart, and all this love she poured forth at the feet of Jesus.

Then Judas said, "Why did she lavish all this love upon Jesus, who did not need it so much as the poor? Why did she not pour some of this great love and care upon them'

Then Jesus said that she did well to give him all her love.

That is what we ought to do. We must give all our heart's love to God, then for His sake and through our love for Him, we shall love all others. By "the poor" in this sense, is meant those who needed love. Baha’u’llah said, "The poor among you are My trust."

Therefore we must always cherish the poor for his sake.

(Abdu'l Baha: Notes of Miss Rosen

- SW, Vol. 8, p. 144

Jesus was a poor man...

Jesus was a poor man. One night when He was out in the fields, the rain began to fall. He had no place to go for shelter so He lifted* His eyes toward heaven, saying,

"O Father! For the birds of the air Thou hast created nests, for the sheep a fold, for the animals dens, for the fish places of refuge, but for Me Thou hast provided no shelter. There is no place where I may lay My head. My bed consists of the cold ground; My lamps at night are the stars, and My food is the grass of the field. Yet who upon earth is richer than I? For the greatest blessing Thou hast not given to the rich and mighty but unto Me, for Thou hast given Me the poor. To me Thou hast granted this blessing. They are Mine. Therefore am I the richest man on earth."

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 33)

I came across a stoney piece of ground...

This is a fascinating story that Abdul-Baha told Mason Remey and was published in Star of the West:
"Consider how the Disciples were treated. While they were alive people would not have anything to do with them, but later on they felt greatly glorified if they had even the remotest relationship with them. They became respected and revered even the earth that was touched by their feet. Now the people prostrate themselves before their tombs, but they were persecuted while they lived. At that time people did not like to be known as relatives of these Disciples of Christ.
"While I was traveling in Palestine 1 came across a stony piece of ground. I saw that a number of people had gathered around one stone, kissing it, weeping and supplicating. I asked one, 'What is this' He told me that the Apostles of Christ, once upon a time, had passed by this place and sat upon these rocks, but there were so many rocks they did not know on which the Apostles had sat. Therefore they prostrated themselves before all of them. that perchance they might come across and kiss the right stone.
In their own day the people beat them, put them in prison, ridiculed them, exiled them from their own cities and finally martyred them. They even did not give permission that they might be buried in their own cemeteries. They were not willing to have the body of His Holiness Jesus Christ put it the Jews' cemetery. The Apostles went and bought a piece of land and interred him.
Then the Jews took their refuse there. Later men came and built a great church over it This was built 'by the mother of one of the Caesars, after three hundred years. Even up to this time in certain parts it is known as the Church of Refuse. This is really the Tomb of Christ. It was the place where all the refuse of the city was gathered in the day of Christ.
For three hundred years it continued in this manner.
You can go now and see what wonderful change there is, see what a wonderful church is built, how many jewels and precious stones are collected there. The statue of Christ is bejeweled with all kinds of precious stones, so are the statues of Mary and others. How different the attitude of the people in the days of Manifestations. They persecute, deride and ridicule them, put a crown of thorns upon their heads, teat them in the street, spit in their faces and finally crucify them. But later on they worship their images, kiss the ground upon which they walked, or the stone upon which they sat. This is the attitude of the people."

- SW, Vol. 5, p. 84

Christ not in need of baptism...

Question.—It is said in the Gospel of St. Matthew, chapter 3, verses 13, 14, 15: “Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. But John forbade Him, saying, I have need to be baptized of Thee, and comest Thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered Him.”
What is the wisdom of this: since Christ possessed all essential perfection, why did He need baptism?

Answer.—

The principle of baptism is purification by repentance. John admonished and exhorted the people, and caused them to repent; then he baptized them. Therefore, it is apparent that this baptism is a symbol of repentance from all sin: its meaning is expressed in these words: “O God! as my body has become purified and cleansed from physical impurities, in the same way purify and sanctify my spirit from the impurities of the world of nature, which are not worthy of the Threshold of Thy Unity!” Repentance is the return from disobedience to obedience. Man, after remoteness and deprivation from God, repents and undergoes purification: and this is a symbol signifying “O God! make my heart good and pure, freed and sanctified from all save Thy love.”

As Christ desired that this institution of John should be used at that time by all, He Himself conformed to it in order to awaken the people and to complete the law of the former religion. Although the ablution of repentance was the institution of John, it was in reality formerly practiced in the religion of God.

Christ was not in need of baptism; but as at that time it was an acceptable and praiseworthy action, and a sign of the glad tidings of the Kingdom, therefore, He confirmed it. However, afterward He said the true baptism is not with material water, but it must be with spirit and with water. In this case water does not signify material water, for elsewhere it is explicitly said baptism is with spirit and with fire, from which it is clear that the reference is not to material fire and material water, for baptism with fire is impossible.

Therefore, the spirit is the bounty of God, the water is knowledge and life, and the fire is the love of God. For material water does not purify the heart of man; no, it cleanses his body.

But the heavenly water and spirit, which are knowledge and life, make the human heart good and pure; the heart which receives a portion of the bounty of the Spirit becomes sanctified, good and pure—that is to say, the reality of man becomes purified and sanctified from the impurities of the world of nature. These natural impurities are evil qualities: anger, lust, worldliness, pride, lying, hypocrisy, fraud, self-love, etc.

~ Abdul-Baha

The Pharisees and priests in this day...

Remember what the Pharisees published concerning Jesus, attributed to Him and said about Him and how they oppressed Him until they paraded Him in Jerusalem in such a form as made the angels of sanctity to weep in the Sublime Kingdom.

They put on His head a crown of thistles; nay, more, they cast dust in His face—into a face whereby the heaven and the earth is illuminated! They turned their backs upon Him, then bowed and said: “Peace be unto thee, O King of kings! Peace be unto thee, O King of the Jews!”

Of the same class are the Pharisees and priests in this manifest day. “Leave them to amuse themselves with their vain discourse.” They are as people deluded by their temptations and are isolated from the gifts of your Lord, the Clement, the Merciful. “They are deaf, dumb and blind; therefore, they will not understand.”

Verily, I, through the grace of my Lord, have never heeded these souls, even to reading their articles, inasmuch as their articles signify no other than the buzzing of flies to the hearing of an eagle, or the croaking of a frog of the material world to the ears of the leviathan of the sea of the Kingdom. Is it to be considered as anything? No, by no means! Verily, the eagle soareth high in the supreme apex while the flies rumble in the lowest rubbish.

~ Abdul-Baha "Tablets of Abdul-Baha"

The Lord's Supper...

"The Lord's Supper of Christ was indeed a very common thing; but because there was excessive love among the individual members who convened there, that table surpassed the royal tables, and it was established as the Lord's Supper. Even now at this time it is known as such.
This was due to the love which existed between Jesus Christ and the disciples."
It is hard to bring to the Western mind, so filled with the material things of life, and with the "pomp and circumstance" of the social and ritualistic customs, an adequate description of this remarkable table...

~ Abdul-Baha

- SW, Vol. 18, p. 284

The story of Nu'man and Hunzala:

This story was told by Abdul-Baha and is about a pre Islamic Christian Arab..there are explanatory footnotes at the end:

The story of Nu’man and Hanzala:

We shall here relate a story that will serve as an example to all.

The Arabian chronicles tell how, at a time prior to the advent of Muhammad, Nu'man son of Mundhir the Lakhmite -- an Arab king in the Days of Ignorance, whose seat of government was the city of Hirih -- had one day returned so often to his wine-cup that his mind clouded over and his reason deserted him. In this drunken and insensible condition he gave orders that his two boon companions, his close and much-loved friends, Khalid son of Mudallil and Amr son of Mas'ud-Kaldih, should be put to death. When he wakened after his carousal, he inquired for the two friends and was given the grievous news. He was sick at heart, and because of his intense love and longing for them, he built two splendid monuments over their two graves and he named these the Smeared-With-Blood.

Then he set apart two days out of the year, in memory of the two companions, and he called one of them the Day of Evil and one the Day of Grace. Every year on these two appointed days he would issue forth with pomp and circumstance and sit between the monuments. If, on the Day of Evil, his eye fell on any soul, that person would be put to death; but on the Day of Grace, whoever passed would be overwhelmed with gifts and benefits. Such was his rule, sealed with a mighty oath and always rigidly observed.
One day the king mounted his horse, that was called Mahmud, and rode out into the plains to hunt. Suddenly in the distance he caught sight of a wild donkey. Nu'man urged on his horse to overtake it, and galloped away at such speed that he was cut off from his retinue. As night approached, the king was hopelessly lost. 48 Then he made out a tent, far off in the desert, and he turned his horse and headed toward it. When he reached the entrance of the tent he asked, "Will you receive a guest?" The owner (who was Hanzala, son of Abi-Ghafray-i-Ta'i) replied, "Yea." He came forward and helped Nu'man to dismount. Then he went to his wife and told her, "There are clear signs of greatness in the bearing of this person. Do your best to show him hospitality, and make ready a feast." His wife said, "We have a ewe. Sacrifice it. And I have saved a little flour against such a day." Hanzala first milked the ewe and carried a bowl of milk to Nu'man, and then he slaughtered her and prepared a meal; and what with his friendliness and loving-kindness, Nu'man spent that night in peace and comfort. When dawn came, Nu'man made ready to leave, and he said to Hanzala: "You have shown me the utmost generosity, receiving and feasting me. I am Nu'man, son of Mundhir, and I shall eagerly await your arrival at my court."

Time passed, and famine fell on the land of Tayy. Hanzala was in dire need and for this reason he sought out the king. By a strange coincidence he arrived on the Day of Evil. Nu'man was greatly troubled in spirit. He began to reproach his friend, saying,

"Why did you come to your friend on this day of all days? For this is the Day of Evil, that is, the Day of Wrath and the Day of Distress. This day, should my eyes alight on Qabus, my only son, he should not escape with his life. Now ask me whatever favor you will."

Hanzala said: "I knew nothing of your Day of Evil. As for the gifts of this life, they are meant for the living, and since I at this hour must drink of death, what can all the world's storehouses avail me now?"

Nu'man said, "There is no help for this."

Hanzala told him: "Respite me, then, that I may go back to my wife and make my testament. Next year I shall return, on the Day of Evil."

Nu'man then asked for a guarantor, so that, if Hanzala should break his word, this guarantor would be put to death instead. Hanzala, helpless and bewildered, looked about him. Then his gaze fell on one of Nu'man's retinue, Sharik, son of Amr, son of Qays of Shayban, and to him he recited these lines:

"O my partner, O son of Amr! Is there any escape from death? O brother of every afflicted one! O brother of him who is brotherless! O brother of Nu'man, in thee today is a surety for the Shaykh. Where is Shayban the noble -- may the All-Merciful favor him!"

But Sharik only answered, "O my brother, a man cannot gamble with his life."

At this the victim could not tell where to turn. Then a man named Qarad, son of Adja' the Kalbite stood up and offered himself as a surety, agreeing that, should he fail on the next Day of Wrath to deliver up the victim, the king might do with him, Qarad, as he wished. Nu'man then bestowed five hundred camels on Hanzala, and sent him home.

In the following year on the Day of Evil, as soon as the true dawn broke in the sky, Nu'man as was his custom set out with pomp and pageantry and made for the two mausoleums called the Smeared-With-Blood. He brought Qarad along, to wreak his kingly wrath upon him. The pillars of the state then loosed their tongues and begged for mercy, imploring the king to respite Qarad until sundown, for they hoped that Hanzala might yet return; but the king's purpose was to spare the life of Hanzala, and to requite his hospitality by putting Qarad to death in his place.

As the sun began to set, they stripped off the garments of Qarad, and made ready to sever his head. At that moment a rider appeared in the distance, galloping at top speed.

Nu'man said to the swordsman, "Why delayest thou?" The ministers said, "Perchance it is Hanzala who comes." And when the rider drew near, they saw it was none other.
Nu'man was sorely displeased. He said, "Thou fool! Thou didst slip away once from the clutching fingers of death; must thou provoke him now a second time?"

And Hanzala answered, "Sweet in my mouth and pleasant on my tongue is the poison of death, at the thought of redeeming my pledge."

Nu'man asked, "What could be the reason for this trustworthiness, this regard for thine obligation and this concern for thine oath?" And Hanzala answered, "It is my faith in the one God and in the Books that have come down from heaven." Nu'man asked, "What Faith dost thou profess?" And Hanzala said, "It was the holy breaths of Jesus that brought me to life. I follow the straight pathway of Christ, the Spirit of God." Nu'man said, "Let me inhale these sweet aromas of the Spirit."

So it was that Hanzala drew out the white hand of guidance from the bosom of the love of God,[1] and illumined the sight and the insight of the beholders with the Gospel light. After he had in bell-like accents recited some of the divine verses out of the Evangel, Nu'man and all his ministers sickened of their idols and their idol-worship and were confirmed in the Faith of God. And they said, "Alas, a thousand times alas, that up to now we were careless of this infinite mercy and veiled away therefrom, and were bereft of this rain from the clouds of the grace of God." Then straightway the king tore down the two monuments called the Smeared-With-Blood, and he repented of his tyranny and established justice in the land.

[1 Cf. Qur'án 27:12, referring to Moses: "Put now thy hand into thy bosom: it shall come forth white ... one of nine
signs to Pharaoh and his people...." Also Qur'án 7:105; 20:23;26:32; and 28:32. Also Exodus 4:6. See too Edward Fitzgerald's The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: Now the New Year reviving old Desires, The thoughtful Soul to Solitude retires, Where the White Hand of Moses on the Bough Puts out, and Jesus from the Ground suspires. The metaphors here refer to white blossoms and the perfumes of spring.]

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Secret of Divine Civilization, p. 46)

The Primal Mirror

As 'Abdu'1 Baha said of Jesus:

"Jesus was a Manifestation of God. Everything of Him
pertained to God. To know him was to know God. To have Him was to have God. To obey Him was to obey God. He was the source of all divine virtues. He was a vision of all divine qualities. In this vision the light of the Sun of Reality was reflected to the world. Through this mirror the Energy of God was transmitted to the world. The whole disc of the Sun of Reality was reflected in him."

Because this "Primal Mirror" thus transmits the rays of the Sun of Truth and brings them directly to bear upon the lives and thoughts of men his appearance upon earth is like the glory of a divine springtime. He focuses upon the world the radiance of a new truth, the warm rays of a new love, the showers of God's mercy, the all renewing breezes of the Holy Spirit. From out his teachings there flowers the summer season of a new civilization.

- SW, Vol. 14, p. 228

"He that married not.."

He that married not (Jesus Christ) could find no place wherein to abide, nor where to lay His head, by reason of what the hands of the treacherous had
wrought.

~ Baha'u'llah "Epistle to the Son of the Wolf" pp. 49-50

The above words are full of meaning and provide some of the reasons Jesus could not have a family..

The clay bird story I believe appears in the apocryphal but popular Gospel of Thomas.

Thanks Brian for your post!

Yes you will find the story in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, the Qur'an and retold above by Abdul-Baha...

- Art

Here's a excerpt about the Divine Flame burning in the Crystal of His Spirit that I found rather interesting and beautiful:

Abdul-Baha on what Jesus communicated to His disciples...

Jesus communicated to his disciples something much greater than physical words. He transmitted the love, the purity, the divine flame of devotion to the Kingdom which was burning in the crystal of His divine spirit. 'Abdu'1 Baha. tells of how Mount Carmel seems almost to speak with one, as though a wave of unseen life swept from the mountain into our spirits.

- SW, Vol. 14, p. 209

We have also heard a number of the foolish of the earth assert that the genuine text of the heavenly Gospel doth not exist amongst the Christians, that it hath ascended unto heaven. How grievously they have erred! How oblivious of the fact that such a statement imputeth the gravest injustice and tyranny to a gracious and loving Providence! How could God, when once the Day-star of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also?

~ Baha'u'llah in the Kitab-i-Iqan

Re: The poor man who wanted to marry a princess:

This is a rather long story found in Star of the West...but worth the read. I decided to collect some of these together for anyone to peruse:

STORY OF JESUS AND THE POOR
MAN WHO WANTED TO MARRY
A PRINCESS.

It is said that Jesus entered a village...

An insightful & inspiring story, thank you for posting.:)

... Neemai

Oh people! My food is the grass of the field...

Thanks Neemai for your gracious post..

Here's story told about Jesus by Baha'u'llah in the Kitab-i-Iqan p. 131 to emphsize the poverty of Jesus:

Thus Jesus, Son of Mary, whilst seated one day and speaking in the strain of the Holy Spirit, uttered words such as these:

“O people! My food is the grass of the field, wherewith I satisfy my hunger. My bed is the dust, my lamp in the night the light of the moon, and my steed my own feet. Behold, who on earth is richer than I?” By the righteousness of God! Thousands of treasures circle round this poverty, and a myriad kingdoms of glory yearn for such abasement!

Shouldst thou attain to a drop of the ocean of the inner meaning of these words, thou wouldst surely forsake the world and all that is therein, and, as the Phoenix wouldst consume thyself in the flames of the undying Fire.

Back