Regarding Adam...

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
The Bab revealed that:

"Likewise had the religion taught by Adam not existed, this Faith would not have attained its present stage."

There's also beautiful description of the early relationship of man to God in what is called the Hidden Words revealed by Baha'u'llah:

Have ye forgotten that true and radiant morn, when in those hallowed and blessed surroundings ye were all gathered in My presence beneath the shade of the tree of life, which is planted in the all-glorious paradise? Awe-struck ye listened as I gave utterance to these three most holy words: O friends! Prefer not your will to Mine, never desire that which I have not desired for you, and approach Me not with lifeless hearts, defiled with worldly desires and cravings. Would ye but sanctify your souls, ye would at this present hour recall that place and those surroundings, and the truth of My utterance should be made evident unto all of you.

- Bahá'u'lláh, Hidden Words, Persian #19

A hint as to what kind of religion He taught could be alluded to in this statement by Abdul-Baha:

"The divine Manifestations since the day of Adam have striven to unite humanity so that all may be accounted as one soul. The function and purpose of a shepherd is to gather and not disperse his flock. The prophets of God have been divine shepherds of humanity. They have established a bond of love and unity among mankind, made scattered peoples one nation and wandering tribes a mighty kingdom. They have laid the foundation of the oneness of God and summoned all to universal peace."

While we Baha'is acknowledge that Adam was a Manifestation of God and the scriptures tell about His relationship to God, we don't believe He was the earliest Prophet. Baha'u'llah also revealed there were earlier Prophets...and earlier "Adams":

In the Kitab-i-Iqan p. 168 you will find the following:

"Likewise, strive thou to comprehend the meaning of the melody of that eternal beauty, Husayn, son of ‘Alí, who, addressing Salmán, spoke words such as these: “I was with a thousand Adams, the interval between each and the next Adam was fifty thousand years, and to each one of these I declared the Successorship conferred upon my father.”

And Baha'u'llah responded to this question:

And now regarding thy question, “How is it that no records are to be found concerning the Prophets that have preceded Adam, the Father of Mankind, or of the kings that lived in the days of those Prophets?”

Know thou that the absence of any reference to them is no proof that they did not actually exist. That no records concerning them are now available, should be attributed to their extreme remoteness, as well as to the vast changes which the earth hath undergone since their time.

Notwithstanding the obviousness of this theme, in the eyes of those that have quaffed the wine of 162 knowledge and certitude, yet how many are those who, through failure to understand its meaning, have allowed the term “Seal of the Prophets” to obscure their understanding, and deprive them of the grace of all His manifold bounties! Hath not Muhammad, Himself, declared: “I am all the Prophets?” Hath He not said as We have already mentioned: “I am Adam, Noah, Moses, and Jesus?” Why should Muhammad, that immortal Beauty, Who hath said: “I am the first Adam” be incapable of saying also: “I am the last Adam”? For even as He regarded Himself to be the “First of the Prophets”—that is Adam—in like manner, the “Seal of the Prophets” is also applicable unto that Divine Beauty. It is admittedly obvious that being the “First of the Prophets,” He likewise is their “Seal.”

~ Baha'u'llah

- Kitab-i-Iqan pp. 161-162

A hint as to what kind of religion He taught could be alluded to in this statement by Abdul-Baha:

"The divine Manifestations since the day of Adam have striven to unite humanity so that all may be accounted as one soul. The function and purpose of a shepherd is to gather and not disperse his flock. The prophets of God have been divine shepherds of humanity. They have established a bond of love and unity among mankind, made scattered peoples one nation and wandering tribes a mighty kingdom. They have laid the foundation of the oneness of God and summoned all to universal peace."​
Where has this quote been taken from? I googled it but it only links to one website... I would like to know the name of the book :confused:

"The divine Manifestations since the day of Adam have striven to unite humanity so that all may be accounted as one soul. The function and purpose of a shepherd is to gather and not disperse his flock. The prophets of God have been divine shepherds of humanity. They have established a bond of love and unity among mankind, made scattered peoples one nation and wandering tribes a mighty kingdom. They have laid the foundation of the oneness of God and summoned all to universal peace. ...."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 14)

It is relatively easy to locate quotes by using Ocean Research Library a free on line and downloadable service.

- Art:)

Art,

Thank you for the post. When I am asked about creation vs evolution I respond using the story of Adam. First I suggest that it isn't a "vs" thing. Then, in a shortened version here, I suggest that when the writings tell that God leaned down and breathed life into Adam, what He actually did was give Him the knowledge of God, as well as the logic and rationality only apparent in Man that allows us to Know Him and this changed Him from animal to Man, ergo, no missing link, since the link everybody is searching for is a spiritual link. This knowledge gave him values, and a recognition of right and wrong and when presented carefully, the Garden of Eden story as told in the Old Testament becomes alive and symbolically acceptable to many. I only bring this up, because, after reading your post, I will probably be changing the explanation to suggest that in this "Era of Man/God's" relationship, we define it by the announcement of Adam. I like this better because it also demonstrates the eternal message of God.

Mick

And Baha'u'llah responded to this question:

And now regarding thy question, “How is it that no records are to be found concerning the Prophets that have preceded Adam, the Father of Mankind, or of the kings that lived in the days of those Prophets?”

Know thou that the absence of any reference to them is no proof that they did not actually exist. That no records concerning them are now available, should be attributed to their extreme remoteness, as well as to the vast changes which the earth hath undergone since their time.

Just as people expect Jesus to come out of the visible sky, they often take literally what was said about the past... six days of creation? This world is much older than a few thousand years.

"The learned men, that have fixed at several thousand years the life of this earth, have failed, throughout the long period of their observation, to consider either the number or the age of the other planets." -Baha'u'llah

It's often, but not always, the same people who take literally the six days of creation, also take literally Jesus coming out of the visible heaven upon the clouds.

"Judge fairly: Were the prophecies recorded in the Gospel to be literally fulfilled; were Jesus, Son of Mary, accompanied by angels, to descend from the visible heaven upon the clouds; who would dare to disbelieve, who would dare to reject the truth, and wax disdainful? Nay, such consternation would immediately seize all the dwellers of the earth that no soul would feel able to utter a word, much less to reject or accept the truth." -Baha'u'llah

Back