The Function Of Belief

Paladin

Purchased Bewilderment
Reaction score
Is there an evolutionary purpose behind the way our mind works? Many of us hold beliefs that not only cannot be demonstrated but cause conflicts with others as well. What purpose can belief (as defined as a function) serve?
Over and above a merely emotional security blanket that is;)

Is there an evolutionary purpose behind the way our mind works? Many of us hold beliefs that not only cannot be demonstrated but cause conflicts with others as well. What purpose can belief (as defined as a function) serve?
Over and above a merely emotional security blanket that is;)
To answer the question, "where are we going and how do we get there?"

I think we need to have some sort of 'answer' as to life in the big picture so we can then focus on life in the small picture.

Possible futures always begin with a single person's full awareness in present moments of experiences.

The turning of a singular experience into a shared community experience in the future is the engine of our progress, and thus, evolutionary.

Reaching full awareness in as many present moments as possible is the trick.

flow....:cool:

Without belief, there would be no knowledge?

Thomas

To answer the question, "where are we going and how do we get there?"

but who gets to "know" where we are going?
I thought you were talking about belief?:confused:
If you focus on the quality of the process of 'how do we get there?' part, does knowledge of 'where are we going' really matter, except to help get you through the rough spots in the process of 'how do we get there?'

I thought you were talking about belief?:confused:
If you focus on the quality of the process of 'how do we get there?' part, does knowledge of 'where are we going' really matter, except to help get you through the rough spots in the process of 'how do we get there?'

Exactly SG, we are still talking about belief here. The ideas of "process" "going" "getting" etc, still fall within the realm of belief. I think it quite profound thinking on your part to point this out. Whether it is belief in religion, science we still operate from a mental construct usually so well defined, so clear in our perception that we could not imagine anything else.

Actually I think it is nearly impossible for humans not to hold any beliefs as regards metaphysical issues, if that's what you're getting at Paladin. A true "agnostic" in the broadest sense of that term would be someone fully comfortable with "maybe so/maybe not" when confronting a particular belief system. Yet, if one is honest about such, most folks who might define their positions "agnostically"-i.e., stating they hold no beliefs whatsoever-when encountering a belief system that doesn't actually jive with them will undoubtedly have an inward reaction suggestive of how they may however amorphously hold a belief as it will be "hidden" within the inward reaction which may be screaming, "you're out of your freaking mind.":D earl

If you dont mind I will answer the question on an evolutionary basis.
As our ancestors brain functions increased, due to the ever wider set of environmental conditions we faced as a result of our rapid expansion out of Africa, we somewhere along the way developed the sense of time. Probably in part due to synchronising our nomadic encampments with animal migrations. With that sense of time and our other capacities of speech and artistic expression we began to ponder our place, the big questions of where from, where to and why. We only had nature back then of course and we of course drew from that. Gods were represented by animals and constellations because that was our world. As we settled into non-nomadic townships we began to lose touch with nature and our Gods became anthropomorphisised. Just as our art developed in complexity so did our religions, or belief systems. Whatever our state of cultural evolution it was reflected in the belief systems.

It is probably always been a fact that mankind has sought to authenticate each system by invoking historical longevity, the myths once passed down in the oral tradition were adapted and written down. The bible has most of its content found in more ancient polytheistic traditions of the same geographical area. So in fact our Gods are hand me downs from the myths captain caveman used to tell around the campfire to keep his tribe entertained at the dawn of our species. And it is quite amazing that we are no less superstitious now than we were back then.

It should also be noted that belief systems also became an important part of social identity. This is what gave rise to diversity amongst religions. And of course was all to often, and continues, to be used by power-lusters to polarise and engage in conflict other groups. Nothing in modern society ties us closer to the dawn of our race than religion. Its high time we dumped the superstitions and evolved into a new race. Homo Superstitious did us proud, but its time to move on.

Tao

Exactly SG, we are still talking about belief here. The ideas of "process" "going" "getting" etc, still fall within the realm of belief. I think it quite profound thinking on your part to point this out. Whether it is belief in religion, science we still operate from a mental construct usually so well defined, so clear in our perception that we could not imagine anything else.
Isn't that akin to idolatry?

To believe is something we do, not something we have; a verb, rather than a noun. (At least in the concrete, demonstrative, sense.)

Possible futures always begin with a single person's full awareness in present moments of experiences.

The turning of a singular experience into a shared community experience in the future is the engine of our progress, and thus, evolutionary.

Reaching full awareness in as many present moments as possible is the trick.

flow....:cool:

You know flow, there's a lot to be said for being an OF if this is what you can bring forth.

Gassho. :)

s.

Whether it is belief in religion, science we still operate from a mental construct usually so well defined, so clear in our perception that we could not imagine anything else.

Thomas Kuhn, anyone?

s.

Actually I think it is nearly impossible for humans not to hold any beliefs as regards metaphysical issues, if that's what you're getting at Paladin. A true "agnostic" in the broadest sense of that term would be someone fully comfortable with "maybe so/maybe not" when confronting a particular belief system. Yet, if one is honest about such, most folks who might define their positions "agnostically"-i.e., stating they hold no beliefs whatsoever-when encountering a belief system that doesn't actually jive with them will undoubtedly have an inward reaction suggestive of how they may however amorphously hold a belief as it will be "hidden" within the inward reaction which may be screaming, "you're out of your freaking mind.":D earl

It's certainly a moment to moment thing earl. And yes, I think you're out of your freaking mind. ;)

s.

If you dont mind I will answer the question on an evolutionary basis.

Its high time we dumped the superstitions and evolved into a new race. Homo Superstitious did us proud, but its time to move on.

Tao

I agree that over thousands of years a sense of fear, curiosity and wonderment will have caused us to ponder the Big Questions and that this will have intertwined with cultural, societal and political developments. We are indeed tied to the dawn of our race because, as a species we have only been around for a few moments (in geological time). I also agree that superstitions that were once helpful in some way (perhaps psychologically) (or at worst irrelevant) may now be dangerous (or at least holding us back).

But we can’t “evolve” overnight, modern man is only modern on the surface, I think. The danger in a Dawkins-type approach to me (which I think is where you’re coming from?) is that we might, just might, be trying to throw a very important baby out that’s somewhere in the bath water. And if we do, and it’s a mistake, what would the consequences of that be?

s.

Back