Compliments to this forum

suanni

Confused
Reaction score
Two subjects that have always been the subject of barnies and wars, politics and religion, and yet here the 2 subjects are discussed intelligently and without heated argument. All religions (from what I can see) are represented and all are managing to discuss their side without hostility or any form of abuse. No particular religion is given precidence over another.
My compliments to this forum and I suppose to the members, for without them the forum, with its intelligent discussion would not exist.

What do you think...

suanni said:
Two subjects that have always been the subject of barnies and wars, politics and religion, and yet here the 2 subjects are discussed intelligently and without heated argument. All religions (from what I can see) are represented and all are managing to discuss their side without hostility or any form of abuse. No particular religion is given precidence over another.
My compliments to this forum and I suppose to the members, for without them the forum, with its intelligent discussion would not exist.
Welcome, Suanni.

What do you think about proposing to Brian, the owner, a kind of black box where deleted posts are consigned to, but available just the same for public access?

Then also in place of warnings, advisories should just be transmitted in public to posters bordering on incivilities.

Of course posts with foul language and threats to life and limbs should be sent back by private message to authors with instruction to rewrite on pain of their contributions being otherwise rejected.

In this way I believe posters will get to write civil and better posts, or they will depart motu proprio from the forum.

On trolling, flaming, and ranting, whatever, if there be no foul language and no threats to life, let their authors go on and on.

Certainly, at most they will continue for only two or three succeeding posts, and realize how silly they, the brawling controversialists, are looking to others and to themselves, and stop, with the wiser and more mature ones being first .

Susma Rio Sep

If it ain't broken don't fix it!

I think to allow banned material to be viewed, if the material is deflammatory to a particular sect could incite a massive argument that wouldn't be polite. If the material is offensive overall, again this would upset people and again could incite a massive argument. I suspect posts get deleted for good reason

Obscene language? If a person has to stoop so low to use obscenities then it only shows their lack of vocabulary and ignorance that they can only express themselves in such a way on a written forum.

When I first looked down at the forum I was impressed by the posts for their well thought out intellectualised viewpoints.

What will stop those who jump in just to deliberately upset etc? Nothing! There will always be people like that in society and the best way to stop them is to ignore them.

I wouldn't change a thing about this forum.

By the way, thankyou for the welcome

Thank you for your comments, Suanni, but as you quite rightly noted, this place is made by it's company.

We merely offer hospitality, and hospitable people return that.

Of course, this may not always be so, but we intend to face all challenges as required. :)

At the end of the day, every one of us has our differences, but we all share a common humanity. So long as we focus on the latter, the former does not look so great a gulf to cross. :)

Big bad wolf

I said:
Thank you for your comments, Suanni, but as you quite rightly noted, this place is made by it's company.

We merely offer hospitality, and hospitable people return that.

Of course, this may not always be so, but we intend to face all challenges as required. :)

At the end of the day, every one of us has our differences, but we all share a common humanity. So long as we focus on the latter, the former does not look so great a gulf to cross. :)

Touche, Brian. You are the boss.

Thanks for the hospitality, and will be guided accordingly.

Susma Rio Sep

Breathing on my shoulders

Dear Brian:

Thanks for this section, because it obviously is intended to receive feedbacks whatever, provided they be founded on some sound considerations.

I have this matter of how the violation of trolling is committed.

In this world of infinite possibilities, there is one where trolling can be so broadly understood by the powers that be, so that the essential purpose of a web forum is defeated, I mean the diversity of views and the diversity of delivery. Nothing can be written any longer that is not trolling

There are people with the best intentions as regards views and as regards delivery systems, and these people some of them like me cannot write with alacrity and productively if they feel that someone or some others are looking over their shoulders continuously to detect any so much as a shadow of trolling.

I am sure on the other hand, that anyone who can describe himself as the big, bad, boss, is possessed of a good sense of proportions, a pair of feet on the ground, and a latitude of outlook that is the exact opposite of the Inquisition and our present day Taliban, or the security agents of the mighty U.S.A.

Let' have a good long giggle, OK?

GIGGLEEEEEEEEEE GIGGLEEEEEEEEEE GIGGLEEEEEEEEEE

With sincerest regards,

Susma Rio Sep

Susma, a troll has no interest in exchanging ideas, or expressing opinions, but of purposefully and intentionally trying to disrupt a community through malicious intent.

They may do this by trying to attack other members: chasing particular ones around with a string of expletives; or else by trying to attack the board itself in some way (not very practical against this software I'm running it from).

Apple Pie is a known troll from other forums - but I gave him just enough room to try and better himself by offering him an opportunity to present some of his ideas in a rational manner. Unfortunately, he simply saw fit to repeatedly challenge myself and impose his own authority on this board - and that will not do.

You yourself have been warned more than once about violating the Code of Conduct - and I guess that is why you are so particularly interested in this topic, having been recently warned by Ben on the Alternative Spirituality forum.

However, I don't see your intentions as being malicious: simply that you sometimes become so indulgent in your own ideas that you forget the considerations of others. In that regard I would rather see you guided, because I feel you still intend to contribute constructively to this forum.

I am no troll.

Dear Brian:

I assure you that I don't fit the descriptions of troll which you have drawn up so far. Of course that's my own knowledge of my mind and heart.

Bgru appears to me to be a bit over-enthusiastic with his duty. Maybe if he would just point out to me the lines where I violate the code of conduct, or my thoughts which he believes I entertain in the posts he claimed to be my inappropriate ones, then I might explain to him my real meanings in them, or admit intentions which might not be the most diplomatic but certainly not motivated by malice to hurt people.

I am not defending Apple, and I don't know him at all. I know Pilgram, and I must admit that he's a bit overly articulate with his views. I don't think I am like Pilgram; but I believe he is susceptible to change. I admit that I enjoyed his more passionate posts which is not at all on my part an admirable enjoyment.

Bgru seems to be the only one writing to me, among moderators; and I don't know any other moderators. It is possible that he sees ghosts where they are only ideas and presentations which are without malice, but maybe dressed up in attempts to make them interesting.

Anyway, Brian, thanks for your understanding and yes patience. If I may make just this one more feedback, which I already mentioned earlier here, namely:

If a moderator finds a post objectionable, then it is very useful to the author of the post to know what words, what phrases, what sentences, or even what thoughts in the post are indicative of objectionable features. Just mention them in brief statements.

Otherwise, I am really at a loss where I am supposed to have transgressed the code of conduct.

I asked Bgru the second time to make a critique of the posts where I am supposed to have violated the code of conduct, but so far he has not answered my request.

I guess he is very busy, what with his moderator's tasks here and also his other endeavors at home and in his wholetime job.

In parting, may we agree that even moderators have to learn to moderate moderately; as their charges, like yours truly, are also exerting our best efforts to learn not to write objectionable posts.

Susma Rio Sep

Thanks!

I said:
I'll ask Ben about doing that. :)

Thank you, Brian, for your goodness.

May I share with you a simplistic thought?

The catastrophe to knowledge is for people who won't read to burn books so that others can't read them either.

Best regards, and to your better half and kids.

Susma Rio Sep

Back