Purpose of Life, Religion, and Justice

Dah-veeth

Abeja Maya
Reaction score
What is the purpose of life?

"Having created the world and all that liveth and moveth therein, He, through the direct operation of His unconstrained and sovereign Will, chose to confer upon man the unique distinction and capacity to know Him and to love Him -- a capacity that must needs be regarded as the generating impulse and the primary purpose underlying the whole of creation...." -Baha'u'llah

What is the purpose of religion?

"O ye that dwell on earth! The religion of God is for love and unity; make it not the cause of enmity or dissension." -Baha'u'llah

"God's purpose in sending His Prophets unto men is twofold. The first is to liberate the children of men from the darkness of ignorance, and guide them to the light of true understanding. The second is to ensure the peace and tranquillity of mankind, and provide all the means by which they can be established." -Baha'u'llah

What is the purpose of justice?

"The light of men is Justice. Quench it not with the contrary winds of oppression and tyranny. The purpose of justice is the appearance of unity among men." -Baha'u'llah

_____

I kind of want to do three topics at once... if someone wants to start another thread on this one, feel free: WILLIAM MILLER and the Millerites expected the Return of Christ to happen between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844. They used the Bible to make that calculation, and that date is given, in veiled terms, in many places, especially the Books of Daniel and Revelation. The Bab declared in 1844. Not only that, but some of the Millerites formed the Seventh Day Adventist Church in 1863, the year of the Declaration of Baha'u'llah. Great interfaith topic in my opinion.

_____

The third topic is myspace... I can't get on myspace groups anymore, so I found this interfaith forum, which looks really good. I was at Baha'i and Christian Interfaith Dialogue and was having really good conversations with Jews in the group, and I'm sorry that was cut short.

Dah-veeth wrote:

The third topic is myspace... I can't get on myspace groups anymore, so I found this interfaith forum, which looks really good. I was at Baha'i and Christian Interfaith Dialogue and was having really good conversations with Jews in the group, and I'm sorry that was cut short.

What happened or why was it "cut short"?

Yes the Millerite movemnet is interesting and recently i acquired some of the memoirs of William Miller in a book published by Adventists.

- Art:)

We were talking about Judaism and the Baha'i Faith when all of a sudden I couldn't get on myspace groups anymore... my computer had virus after virus, always whenever I'd try to get there.

The Millerites thought that they had been wrong about the time... and right about the event... whereas from a Baha'i point of view, they were wrong about the event, about how it would happen, but right about the time.

"Judge fairly: Were the prophecies recorded in the Gospel to be literally fulfilled; were Jesus, Son of Mary, accompanied by angels, to descend from the visible heaven upon the clouds; who would dare to disbelieve, who would dare to reject the truth, and wax disdainful? Nay, such consternation would immediately seize all the dwellers of the earth that no soul would feel able to utter a word, much less to reject or accept the truth." -Baha'u'llah

To this day my Adventist friends refer to 1844 as the "Year of the Great Disappointment"...of course, I tell them there's no need to be disappointed...!

To this day my Adventist friends refer to 1844 as the "Year of the Great Disappointment"...of course, I tell them there's no need to be disappointed...!

The Year of Great Rejoicing! :)

"In this Day a great festival is taking place in the Realm above; for whatsoever was promised in the sacred Scriptures hath been fulfilled. This is the Day of great rejoicing. It behoveth everyone to hasten towards the court of His nearness with exceeding joy, gladness, exultation and delight and to deliver himself from the fire of remoteness." -Baha'u'llah

The ninth Ishraq

"The purpose of religion as revealed from the heaven of God's holy Will is to establish unity and concord amongst the peoples of the world; make it not the cause of dissension and strife. The religion of God and His divine law are the most potent instruments and the surest of all means for the dawning of the light of unity amongst men. The progress of the world, the development of nations, the tranquillity of peoples, and the peace of all who dwell on earth are among the principles and ordinances of God. Religion bestoweth upon man the most precious of all gifts, offereth the cup of prosperity, imparteth eternal life, and showereth imperishable benefits upon mankind. It behoveth the chiefs and rulers of the world, and in particular the Trustees of God's House of Justice, to endeavour to the utmost of their power to safeguard its position, promote its interests and exalt its station in the eyes of the world. In like manner it is incumbent upon them to enquire into the conditions of their subjects and to acquaint themselves with the affairs and activities of the divers communities in their dominions. We call upon the manifestations of the power of God -- the sovereigns and rulers on earth -- to bestir themselves and do all in their power that haply they may banish discord from this world and illumine it with the light of concord." -Baha'u'llah

Greetings!

Another excellent Baha'i forum is the discussion area of Planet Baha'i, which you can find at:

www.planetbahai.org

IME it's one of the best around, so do check it out! :)

Cheers,

Bruce

Allah'u'Abha!

I did think of that one! I've never used it, but maybe I'll check it out tonight.

_____

"O ye children of men! The fundamental purpose animating the Faith of God and His Religion is to safeguard the interests and promote the unity of the human race, and to foster the spirit of love and fellowship amongst men. Suffer it not to become a source of dissension and discord, of hate and enmity. This is the straight Path, the fixed and immovable foundation. Whatsoever is raised on this foundation, the changes and chances of the world can never impair its strength, nor will the revolution of countless centuries undermine its structure." -Baha'u'llah

Back