Desire and Aversion

samabudhi

Reaction score
When I first started with Buddhism, I went on a Vipassana retreat and learnt the fundamentals of Buddhism from the Theravada tradition. There was something that always bugged me, despite being convinced about the practice. The teacher said: 'We are here to change the habit pattern of the mind and to remove all sanskaras and thus remove all incling of craving and aversion.'
What bothered me was that we were all there with the desire to learn the meditation, and I presume all of us wanted to attain enlightenment.
So how could we be trying to get rid of craving and aversion.

This question has bothered me for some time until I read the section on Buddhism at that Muslim site that Brian recommended us to see. The writer uses my same arguments in negating Buddhism.

Now I've known that the emphasis in Theravada schools is on removing craving and aversion and Mahayana schools focus more on removing ignorance. They share the same view in my opinion, it's just that their methods are different.

I think that there is a common misunderstanding about what the Buddha means when he talks about craving and aversion. It is known that through time and translations to different languages, the meanings of words can be lost and also that some languages may have many different words with subtler meanings which in another language are only granted a single word.
For instance ignorance in sanskrit has two forms, a sort of mundane ignorance (ajnana) and a fundamental ignorance (avidya). The mundane being about knowledge: how many colours there are in the rainbow, where tornadoes come from. The supramundane being about dualism, seeing that opposites are one in the same.

Here is an extract by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's from 'The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep': 'Prior to realisation, the individual's true nature is obscured by the root ignorance that gives rise to the conceptial mind. Ensnared in dualistic vision, the conceptual mind divides the seamless unity of experience into conceptual entities and then relates to these mental projections as if they inherently exist as separate beings and things. The primary dualism divides experience into self and other, and from the identification of only one aspect of experience, the self, preferences develop.'

This would be the first link in the 12 chains of samsaric existence.

He continues: 'This results in the arising of aversion and desire, which become the basis for both physical and mental actions. These actions (karma) leave traces in the individual's mind as conditioned tendencies, resulting in more grasping and aversion, which lead to new karmic traces, and so on. This is the self-perpetuating cycle of karma.'

The second link is sanskara or 'conditional response.' Here there is no consciousness performing the task, it simply happens without any will involved, like pulling your hand away from a hot plate. It is this unconscious aversion to the hot plate which is under scrutiny, not conscious desire which forms the eighth link in the chain.
The desire and aversion one tries to transcend are not the ones which are ultimately products of consciousness, they are the cause of consciousness.

Here are the 12 chains of existence:
1 - Ignorance
2 - Conditional response
3 - Consciousness
4 - Name and Form
5 - The Senses
6 - Contact
7 - Sensation
8 - Desire
9 - Attachment
10 - Existence
11 - Birth
12 - Death

The root of our problems lies in what we are not aware of. 'I know I must be nice, but I just can't help acting in such and such a way when I meet a certain person.' This is because the unconscious mind starts sending me big signals to stay away or defend with aggression. For whatever reason, maybe the person is notoriously violent, for instance. The mind is conditioned to respond to that type of person in a certain way. It has sanskaras. The man might be a reborn Christian, but because my mind is conditioned, I judge him and see him as he was, not as he is.

The point is to put everything under control of the conscious mind so that we can act appropriately to each situation as it arises without being biased by our own conditional responses. Our desires and aversions are perfectly valid so long as they are conscious. They can be controlled with rational thought, unlike our unconscious which needs special methods such as meditation. If our desires and aversions are put on automatic, in other words, they manifest simply as a result of our conditional responses without any consciousness inbetween, then we're going to become attached. When you are attached to a certain way of thinking, it is more difficult to break away and do something different, to have a choice. It's like being addicted, except it's psychological addiction, not physical.

The chain of existence can be broken at many different links, and it is best to do so at as many as possible.

Awareness of the ultimate nature of reality, emptiness will lead to the removal of link 1, ignorance. Awareness of the unconscious thought processes, the sanskaras will remove link 2.
Awareness of the lack of the inherent self or focusing our beneficial actions on others will remove link 3.

I say awareness and not knowledge because we need to experience the truth not just know it.
This is why absorbing oneself in contemplation is so important, because it imprints onto the unconscious mind.

Hope this helps anyone who has had the same question.

Namaste samabudhi,

thank you for the post.

i've tried to answer the same question for people... i am very greatful that you've posted this!

i held this understanding regarding desire and aversion as i practice the Tibetan form of Buddhism. one of the aspects of the Vajaryana as found in Tibetan that has drawn me to it was it's emphasis on an analyatical as well as meditational practice.

it recognizes that people may respond to either however both aspects need to be integrated into the practice.... and, a bit off the topic here, the Lam Rim instructions have proven to be invaluable in my own practice.

Good psychological insights

From sama:

The root of our problems lies in what we are not aware of. 'I know I must be nice, but I just can't help acting in such and such a way when I meet a certain person.' This is because the unconscious mind starts sending me big signals to stay away or defend with aggression. For whatever reason, maybe the person is notoriously violent, for instance. The mind is conditioned to respond to that type of person in a certain way. It has sanskaras. The man might be a reborn Christian, but because my mind is conditioned, I judge him and see him as he was, not as he is.

The point is to put everything under control of the conscious mind so that we can act appropriately to each situation as it arises without being biased by our own conditional responses. Our desires and aversions are [/S
IZE]perfectly valid so long as they are conscious. They can be controlled with rational thought, unlike our unconscious which needs special methods such as meditation. If our desires and aversions are put on automatic, in other words, they manifest simply as a result of our conditional responses without any consciousness in between, then we're going to become attached. When you are attached to a certain way of thinking, it is more difficult to break away and do something different, to have a choice. It's like being addicted, except it's psychological addiction, not physical.

Dear Sama:

I agree perfectly with the gist of the two paragraphs above from your post #1.

However, if I may, with utmost regard for your religion, and since Buddhism is open to comments from non-Buddhists about their doctrines and practices, I would like to point out that the conventional trained practitioners in personality counselling also has the same ideas and operating premises, but without any knowledge of Buddhism, based mainly on old human wisdom and findings of psychology.

I must commend however Buddha for having good psychological insights even before such a discipline was established in research centers.

Susma Rio Sep

Susma Rio Sep said:
Dear Sama:

I agree perfectly with the gist of the two paragraphs above from your post #1.

However, if I may, with utmost regard for your religion, and since Buddhism is open to comments from non-Buddhists about their doctrines and practices, I would like to point out that the conventional trained practitioners in personality counselling also has the same ideas and operating premises, but without any knowledge of Buddhism, based mainly on old human wisdom and findings of psychology.

I must commend however Buddha for having good psychological insights even before such a discipline was established in research centers.

Susma Rio Sep

Old human wisdom? My dear fellow; less than 400 hundred years ago we were drilling holes in our heads to relieve headaches and burning witches at the stake. The west knew NOTHING about the working of the mind. Everything was put to religion and paranoid superstition.

As for modern psychology, it could be said that Freud and Jung were the pioneers of this science. This happened less than 100 years ago. The differences between Freud and Jungs' opinions are vast. There was little to go on from the past, which is why the change was so great.

Jung, interestingly enough, was most interested in eastern religions and ways of thinking, and what he did bring back to modern psychology (which, as a well known fact was very little), had a profound influence on his work and the future of psychology. The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying being one of these treasures.

Furthermore, what the Buddha taught was not a medicine which needed to be administered as neurotic thoughts became unbearable by some stranger. It was, and is, a path which will result in the total extinction of all suffering and the manifestation of a happiness not comprehendable by common human experience.
The Buddha has had a greater influence on the world in these 2500 years than any other. It is simply that his message is not attached to truck loads of dogma that it can spread and effect so many people without them suspecting that their identity is under threat, and thus closing themselves off to the teachings, as I feel you do.

I get the feeling you are drawn to Buddhism like a pupil who has found their great teacher in life. The pupil thinks too much of himself to surrender his mind to the teacher. The teachings are there, but the pupil is too vain and arrogant to accept them. (I insist on being frank with my opinions, nevertheless, I apologise in advance if I am out of line.) You are worried too much about your image and perhaps you don't like the cultural attachments of being a Buddhist. Very individualistic. Just like me, but I never had a culture I could claim as my own.

As a Taoist would say, you have to empty your cup. (before having tea with the master.)
Do you think this is accurate?

Back