Query on Islamic viewpoints

S

Stonemonk

Would anyone care to enlighten me on any of Islam's teachings which may influence their attitude in respect to the use of The Earth's resouces?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zdrastvuitsye, hola, shalom, salaam, Dia dhuit, namastar ji, hej, konnichiwa, squeak, meow, :wave: Stonemonk.

I'm not a muslim, nor do I play one on tv, but I personally would start with their most holy text, the Qu'ran, and go from there. I would also ask at least three practicing muslims offline after I've researched the text as to where to go next. You might be able to find a mosque in the phone book or, if you live near a college campus, you could ask someone in the Muslim Students Association on the campus.

I hope this helped you in some way. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Greetings Stonemonk,

Here is an article on Islamic environmentalism that I found for you...I hope this helps. http://www.envirosagainstwar.org/know/Islam_and_Environment.html

Of course, not all muslims share the same sensitivity toward the environment, and most muslims are not completely educated about what the religion teaches in regards to environmental stewardship.

For myself, I believe that, as the Qur'an repeatedly refers to the natural world as an "ayah" or revelation of God, to destroy such is an offense against God. The environment is the first form in which God chose to reveal his character to man, by studying it we understand more of God. According to Islamic teaching, God made man superior to other creation in intellect and ability, and put him over it as a caretaker. How humans use or abuse this position is a test which will be judged. God also made man dependent on this same environment for his food, water and breath, so to teach him humility, and the lesson that all life is interconnected and comes from one source...you can't hurt the other without ultimately hurting yourself.

I wish that environmentalism was a topic of more focus in religious circles, as I think that it is not just a healthy idea but a deeply moral and religious issue as well.

Salaam,
veritasamat

Back