Baha'i, tell me more

Shih Yo Chi

Reaction score
When I joined this forum I asked where my beliefs fit in. Now that I've been looking around, it seems that the Baha'i faith is very close to what I believe. I've been to the Baha'i sites and read the principles, but I'd like to hear from practicing Baha'i, a little more personal viewpoint.

If anyone happens to be a member of a community in the Dallas area. I'd be very interested in hearing from you.

Shih Yo Chi said:
When I joined this forum I asked where my beliefs fit in. Now that I've been looking around, it seems that the Baha'i faith is very close to what I believe. I've been to the Baha'i sites and read the principles, but I'd like to hear from practicing Baha'i, a little more personal viewpoint.

If anyone happens to be a member of a community in the Dallas area. I'd be very interested in hearing from you.

Shih,

Thanks for your note!

There is a beautiful on line site by the Dallas Baha'is and I'm posting it just for you!

http://www.bahaisofdallas.org/

There are a number of us Baha'is here anyone of whom would be glad to talk with you!

We are observing Naw- Ruz today March 21st as our Baha'i New Year!

We are in the 161st year of the Baha'i era. Baha'is all over the world gather in their communities and have picnics or social events.

I posted some information on another topic Baha'i Holy Days on Naw-Ruz but it is the ancient Persian New Year.

The Baha'i Calendar is made up of nineteen months with nineteen days in each month. Each month is named after an attribute of God.

- Art

Shih Yo Chi said:
I asked where my beliefs fit in. Now that I've been looking around, it seems that the Baha'i faith is very close to what I believe.
If I may make a general point, the only place our beleifs fit in is within ourselves: a group is not required to validate the existence of the individual. And many of the general philosophies of Baha'is are actually shared across the spiritual and religious sphere, the principle difference being acceptance or not of Baha'u'llah as the fulfillment of all religious prophecy.

However, on saying that, if you feel a calling to explore any particular faith then only best with you. :)

I said:
If I may make a general point, the only place our beleifs fit in is within ourselves: a group is not required to validate the existence of the individual. And many of the general philosophies of Baha'is are actually shared across the spiritual and religious sphere, the principle difference being acceptance or not of Baha'u'llah as the fulfillment of all religious prophecy.

However, on saying that, if you feel a calling to explore any particular faith then only best with you. :)

Thanks Brian for your comment!

It's true, we Baha'is believe we share many of the core spiritual principles with other religions. One of the reasons for this is that we hold religion is actually one only manifested at different times to various peoples through different Messengers.

To us this is a very important perspective and is essential to establish a world civilization.

We believe that Baha'u'llah is only the latest Messenger and that more will follow in the ages to come....

and we welcome anyone to personally investigate the Baha'i Faith for themselves and reach their own conclusions!

- Art

Shih Yo Chi said:

Not from Dallas, but I'd be happy to share personal experiences and such! :) And - you can always email me privately at tiyethequeen@comcast.net.

Shih Yo Chi said:

Dear Shih Yo Chi,

What would you like to know? When I found the Baha'i Faith, I was astonished that I found a religion that agreed with everything I already believed. So in essence I felt I had always been a Baha'i, I just wasn't aware of the source of my beliefs. I feel like I have found my home. I have never been more content. It is such a wonderful feeling.

There is so much to share, so it would be helpful if you could post specific questions. Otherwise, we could go on and on. :D

I am fairly certain that Dallas has a large very active Baha'i community. It is probably listed in the phone book. Another option is you could call 1-800-22-UNITE and they could put you in touch with some local Baha'i's.

Looking forward to answering your questions.

Loving Greetings, Harmony

Reply to Phi:

Somehow or other I received a message under this heading "Baha'i - Tell me more" from Phi, but could not find the post?! So I've decided to respond to it anyway... if by chance, Phi's post got lost some how?!

I'll quote Phi and indicate my replies following:

Phi:

Hi, and thank you for inviting me to explore here. Well...I'm going to
have to do some reading & studying, but there are a couple of questions
first.
1. Oh, please, why does it ALWAYS have to be a man leader? I am really
shy of male-led religion now. What's the scoop on the female aspect of
God?

Reply:

That God is referred to as "He" or "Him" is merely due to an accident of language.... It has nothing to do conceiving of God as "male" or an "old man with a beard".... In the Baha'i Writings which were revealed by Baha'u'llah a very prominent place is given to the "Maid of Heaven" this is obviously a "feminine" spiritual concept that plays a part something like the Angel Gabriel does in Islam...

Phi:

2. What do you believe about foresight and other psychic traits in
women members? I was born this way!

Reply:

Baha'is recognize that there is a spiritual world and that people could have psychic abilities. We do not however encourage people to be psychics or to consult mediums or those who "channel" ....

Phi:

3. Who's the leader of your particular church or group? Why isn't it a
woman? (just guessing)

Reply:

Actually we have no priests or priestesses in the Baha'i Faith. We have no professioanl clergy whatsoever. The Faith is administered by elected representatives in institutions known as Local Spiritual Assemblies, National Spiritual Assemblies and the Universal House of Justice. Women serve on all levels of our administration with the exception of the nine member Universal House of Justice. We also have an appointive arm known as the Counselors and Auxiliary Board Memebers who serve limited terms and women also serve in these offices.

Phi:

4. Ballulah: male or female

Reply:

"Baha'u'llah" was the title of Mirza Husayn Ali Who was the Prophet Founder of the Baha'i Faith. He was a "man" Who was what we Baha'is consider to be a Manifestation of God and He lived in nineteenth century Persia. Baha'u'llah taught that men and women are equal at a time when there were no female professions and when women were excluded from voting.

Phi:

I know I sound like a feminist, and I suppose I am when it comes to
religion, but the word "feminist" has some negative connotations and
associations I don't really care for, so please don't look for my sexual
persuasion nor my politics in this term. I believe with all of my soul
that women are equal to men, and will not chance getting back into a
patriarchy.

Reply:

Well Phi it may interest you to know that Baha'is agree with your sentiments. As noted above Baha'is are very stong on the principle of the equality of men and women! Baha'is have many projects around the world stressing education and training of women and we also stress empowering women to assume their rightful place in human society.

Phi:

If all Gods are men in heaven, I do not want eternal life. I cooked &
cleaned long enough down here... ;)
Really, I do love men, my best friend is one (husband) and so was my
Dad.
So are my two brothers and so will be my grandson (he's 2, so cute!)
but if your God is a man, and always referred to as one, well he's only
half of mine. Been there, done that, know better now.

Reply:

As noted above Phi, that we use terms like "He" for God is an accident of language and has nothing to do with God being a "man". Also Heaven for us is not a place where you'll be in a servile relationship to men... Heaven is a spiritual state of being close to God.

Phi:

Thanks for your help. Sorry if I sound a little outrageous, but I
really am just outspoken and honest.

Reply:

I wouldn't have it any other way!

- Art

arthra said:
Somehow or other I received a message under this heading "Baha'i - Tell me more" from Phi, but could not find the post?! So I've decided to respond to it anyway... if by chance, Phi's post got lost some how?!
- Art
Hi Art,

Brian split Phi's post into a separate thread entitled "Questions" you may want to copy your reply and post it over there. I would do it for you, but I don't want to step on any toes.

Loving Greetings, Harmony

Hi! :)

As regards the equality of men and women, it might also interest you to know that the Baha'i International Community has formal status with the UN as a non-governmental agency, and serves on various UN agencies.

One of these is UNIFEM, the UN agency for women's development and equality. And indeed, we were recently CHAIRING its meetings! :)

Best,

Bruce

Back