Missing Posts

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
It seems that there have been posts going missing over the past few days.

After investigation, it appears that this is the result of a move of server over the weekend.

This basically means that the peculiarities of DNS creates - for a time - two images of this forum: the new original server space, and the old server space being moved from. It's like a "real" image and a "ghost" image.

Ideally, everyone should have been visiting the new server space - the real image.

However, because of the migration of the IPs from one physical server to another, some people found themselves posting in the "ghost" image.

This should not have been common, but it does mean that any posts that were made on the "ghost" form will be completely lost.

I know of at least 3 posts reported missing and I recommend this explanation as the appropriate one.

I know CR staff have not deleted anything because I have access to logs that show no such activity.

Anyway, all I can do is apologise profusely for this unexpected series of losses, and fervently recommend that members make a copy of anything they post before clicking on "send".

EDIT: Please note the following thread about the new server move:
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921

There should be no repeat of the above, because the forums wills be closed from the original server, and reopened only on the new server. The confusion occurred with the original server move because it was a case of the hosting company transferring its customers to a new datacenter, so I had no control over the procedure.

Banned from Comparative-religion.com forum?

I said:
It seems that there have been posts going missing over the past few days.

After investigation, it appears that this is the result of a move of server over the weekend.

This basically means that the peculiarities of DNS creates - for a time - two images of this forum: the new original server space, and the old server space being moved from. It's like a "real" image and a "ghost" image.

Ideally, everyone should have been visiting the new server space - the real image.

However, because of the migration of the IPs from one physical server to another, some people found themselves posting in the "ghost" image.

This should not have been common, but it does mean that any posts that were made on the "ghost" form will be completely lost.

I know of at least 3 posts reported missing and I recommend this explanation as the appropriate one.

I know CR staff have not deleted anything because I have access to logs that show no such activity.

Anyway, all I can do is apologise profusely for this unexpected series of losses, and fervently recommend that members make a copy of anything they post before clicking on "send".

EDIT: Please note the following thread about the new server move:
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921

There should be no repeat of the above, because the forums wills be closed from the original server, and reopened only on the new server. The confusion occurred with the original server move because it was a case of the hosting company transferring its customers to a new datacenter, so I had no control over the procedure.

Dear Brian:

Have I been banned all these over two weeks, or was it some computer/internet fluke? I did not receive any third warning and I did not receive any notice about being banned. I just found out when trying to access the forum for since more than two weeks ago: I could not access for all that period. It's like coming home to your family and finding the door securely locked against you.

Can we discuss calmly and rationally about my banning, if such was the case?

Susma Rio Sep

Susma, you have not at all been banned - in fact, I don't believe I've suspended anybody's account here for some time.

Thanks

I said:
Susma, you have not at all been banned - in fact, I don't believe I've suspended anybody's account here for some time.

Well, it is good news. I could not access the forum for several days. So I just gave up trying to access it further, because the experience of being rebuffed is not pleasant even for a person like me who claims to be Buddhistic even without Buddhism -- and that led me to the conclusion that I was banned. That's how Straight Dope Message Board does it, at least to me.

This is for the humor. I received an email from SDMB two days ago, inviting me to subscribe to membership in their discussion board for $4.95 the first year, and half for the succeeding years to last for your biological life. It used to be totally free by mere registration. I asked them in reply whether my ban has been lifted. So far no answer. I guess they just remember that I was already banned for the rest of my biological life. Hehehehe.

Thanks again. Now the matter of Buddha's smile for a daily wisdom saying, may I just post it again, and also one on Jesus?

Best regards.

Susma Rio Sep

PS If I may, what happened to Pilgram. Has he been banned?

No new posts?

This seems to be the only thread on the board with a post less than 36 hours old... I can't believe the board has gone that dead! Did the server switch somehow leave me stuck in the old messages? Or something else weird going on?

There have been other posts - but you are indeed correct that the board activity has suddenly dropped.

However, after the server move next week I'll be mass e-mailing members about the changes, and also announcing the addition of the new "spiritual directory" to this site (not yet visible). Activity should be back on track again again. :)

Back