Nirvana vs Liberation?

DT Strain

Spiritual Naturalist
Reaction score
United States. www.SpiritualNaturalistSociety.org
I have read something recently that seemed to suggest that the concept of Nirvana is found in Mahayana Buddhism, but not a part of Theravada Buddhism - is this true or have I got the wrong impression?

Secondly, it does seem that Liberation is a concept in Theravada Buddhism. If so, then what is the difference between the Theravada concept of Liberation and the Mahayana concept of Nirvana?

Many thanks :)
-Daniel

Namaste Daniel,

thank you for the post.

I have read something recently that seemed to suggest that the concept of Nirvana is found in Mahayana Buddhism, but not a part of Theravada Buddhism - is this true or have I got the wrong impression?

i think you've gotten the wrong impression :)

Nibbana, as the Pali renders the term, is a class of experience beyond the ability of language to describe, it can be experienced yet not described. thus the Buddha frequently used the metaphor of Nibbana to describe what he was talking about, it is found throughout all Buddhist canons.

a good read for an understanding of this from the Pali view can be found here: Mind Like Fire Unbound

Secondly, it does seem that Liberation is a concept in Theravada Buddhism. If so, then what is the difference between the Theravada concept of Liberation and the Mahayana concept of Nirvana?

Many thanks :)
-Daniel

liberation arises from the experience of Nibbana though in certain instances a being can have both arise interdependently. by and large the term liberation is being applied to the being becoming liberated from samsara; from birth, old age, sickness and death through the realization of Nibbana.

metta,

~v

Back