She ain't with me?!

17th Angel

לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות
Reaction score
Have you seen the little piggies crawling in the d
Abraham... Claimed when alien in lands away from the house of his fathers that, his wife was his sister... Which caused some problems.. What made me a bit confused is why did his son Isaac do the same thing? Wouldn't you just be like... "this is my wife... I am her husband!" And be prepared to stand by her and defend protect? Not only that, from what I read it seems the natives were more then friendly to Abraham and his seeds... So was it really needed to pretend that your wife is your sister?

Genesis 12:10 Now there was a famine in the land. So Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was severe in the land.
Who really suffered during this encounter? The Pharaoh would not have done anything for Abraham or his people if Sarah had not been so beautiful. They went to Egypt only out of necessity and to avoid starvation of their families and themselves. The Pharaoh was someone who collected wives, so Abraham was going to take a chance for Sarah's sake. Sarah didn't get angry with Abe for taking her to Egypt. He was responsible for keeping everyone in his group alive, and the fact that their romance still burned hot is a testimony to this. He risked allowing Pharaoh to take her to bed on the pretense of saving his own life, but the situation was actually a bit more complicated than that. He saved many lives including Sarah's at the risk of losing her. Sarah's bravery was no less, because if she married Pharoah and it was discovered she was no virgin she could have been killed, too. The moment they were discovered they were kicked out of Egypt, but they were rich instead of starving. Additionally, Abraham and Sarah stayed together for the rest of their lives.

The fact that the story is so terse and compressed is a testimony to its ancient status. I would have preferred to read a version of it that was less compressed.

Who really suffered during this encounter? The Pharaoh would not have done anything for Abraham or his people if Sarah had not been so beautiful. They went to Egypt only out of necessity and to avoid starvation of their families and themselves. The Pharaoh was someone who collected wives, so Abraham was going to take a chance for Sarah's sake. Sarah didn't get angry with Abe for taking her to Egypt. He was responsible for keeping everyone in his group alive, and the fact that their romance still burned hot is a testimony to this. He risked allowing Pharaoh to take her to bed on the pretense of saving his own life, but the situation was actually a bit more complicated than that. He saved many lives including Sarah's at the risk of losing her. Sarah's bravery was no less, because if she married Pharoah and it was discovered she was no virgin she could have been killed, too. The moment they were discovered they were kicked out of Egypt, but they were rich instead of starving. Additionally, Abraham and Sarah stayed together for the rest of their lives.

The fact that the story is so terse and compressed is a testimony to its ancient status. I would have preferred to read a version of it that was less compressed.

I seeeeee... Thanks for the post and yes I totally agree... Less compressed would be uber.

Uber's a good word for it. This story is really important, because its easy to contrast this with modern religious attitudes about marriage, at least in my culture.

Marriage is an institution, but for a long time here in the USA each marriage was legally considered an institution (almost an entity), eternal and indivisible. When divorce laws were introduced many people protested. Over the last 30 years or so Americans have come a long way in that the majority now recognize the presence of the divorced, both remarried and single. We still obsess over the divorce 'rate' though.

Back