Who is Itzmana

• The mayan god of the sun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The mayan god responsible for all creation

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

kms122

Reaction score
Please help me! I have an unusual problem. I bought a blanket while I was in Tiawana , that was supposed to be the a replica of the Mayan calendar.
When I got it home, it was actually a picture of a dead woman lying in front of a stepped pyramid while a kneeling warrior/king mourns at her side.

I started looking for info then, and found nothing about this pair.

Recently, a friend of mine gave me a tapestry, knowing of my affinity for mythology. And the same pair, (down to the warrior/kings headdress) are shown in this tapestry!
Only in this one, the warrior is supporting the dead woman, as he steps onto a stone carved as Quezotcotal (the plumed serpent) (I have been able to positively identify that at least) So perhaps not a Mayan legend, but an Aztec.

PLEASE, if anyone knows anything about these 2, let me know.

My thanks in advance.

Thanx Alex... nope, not so much on the help part.
I have studied alot of mayan legends, and maybe this pair is a representation of the gods you mentioned..., but I haven't seen anything that shouts out THIS IS IT!!! Maybe after work, if I remember I will take some pics of the blanket and tapestry and post them. (What a brilliant idea, shoulda done that off the bat.)

O yes, right.
I have a hunch these two may be Ix Chel (the moon goddess or LAdy Rainbow) and her hubby Itzamna (The god of the sun/creation). It's making me bonkers that I can't figure this out. I appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback.

So perhaps not a Mayan legend, but an Aztec.

My thanks in advance.

Actually, war suited the Aztecs. Their sun-god, Huitzilopochtli, was just one of many gods and goddesses who demanded bleeding hearts and human sacrifices on a regular basis. :eek:

Back