Retreat experiences

Zenda71

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am a shy person by nature, so before I go into a new experience, such as a retreat somewhere that I have never been before, I like to read as much as I can about the place, teachers, etc.

But I'm noticing that not many people have accounts of their retreats. Perhaps journaling it is contrary to retreat practice (and to the practice of never discussing the levels that one has attained).

But I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share their retreat stories.

Ever curious ... :D

Zenda

Zenda71 said:
Hello everyone.

I am a shy person by nature, so before I go into a new experience, such as a retreat somewhere that I have never been before, I like to read as much as I can about the place, teachers, etc.

But I'm noticing that not many people have accounts of their retreats. Perhaps journaling it is contrary to retreat practice (and to the practice of never discussing the levels that one has attained).

But I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share their retreat stories.

Ever curious ... :D

Zenda
Namaste Zenda,

well... tell you what i'll do in this regard....

since i'm going for retreat for Vesak day this year, i'll try to keep a journal and relate the experience, as much as possible.

now, i should probably say that there will be some aspects of the practice that i'm not in a position to convey and i hope that it will still be rather cogent with that information left out :)

by the by.. have you been to a retreat yet? if so, was it in your schools tradition or another?

Vajradhara said:
since i'm going for retreat for Vesak day this year, i'll try to keep a journal and relate the experience, as much as possible.

now, i should probably say that there will be some aspects of the practice that i'm not in a position to convey and i hope that it will still be rather cogent with that information left out :)
This is very kind of you! Thank you ... I would be very interested.

Vajradhara said:
by the by.. have you been to a retreat yet? if so, was it in your schools tradition or another?
I've been to only one so far, and it was a self-directed silent retreat. A retired Pastor has grounds in western Massachusetts designed for such purposes. She provided food for myself and another person on solitary retreat. We each had a little "home" with sleeping areas and a bathroom. I believe his area did not have a kitchen, so we shared that. I practiced in Vipassana style, observing Noble Silence, and adding in some "contemplative" hiking (to alleviate my stiff legs mostly).

I haven't been able to do anything like this since my son was born, but finally I feel like I can go away for a few days. I am going for a retreat in my tradition to a place in West Virginia called the Bhavana Society. Do you know it?

With metta,
Zenda

Namaste Zenda,

thank you for the post.

Zenda71 said:
This is very kind of you! Thank you ... I would be very interested.
i shall try my best :)

I've been to only one so far, and it was a self-directed silent retreat. A retired Pastor has grounds in western Massachusetts designed for such purposes. She provided food for myself and another person on solitary retreat. We each had a little "home" with sleeping areas and a bathroom. I believe his area did not have a kitchen, so we shared that. I practiced in Vipassana style, observing Noble Silence, and adding in some "contemplative" hiking (to alleviate my stiff legs mostly).
this will be, in effect, what i do as well.. at least the parts that i'll be able to relate. actually... we doing something special this time around... we're going to a barrier island off the coast of Maryland and we're going to setup a temporary meditation hall and offer some short classes to folks that are interested... it's not really focused on the public but we hardly ever close the doors, so to speak :)

I haven't been able to do anything like this since my son was born, but finally I feel like I can go away for a few days. I am going for a retreat in my tradition to a place in West Virginia called the Bhavana Society. Do you know it?

With metta,
Zenda
actually, it's rather close to me, all things being equal. i'm familiar with the group though i've never been to the center since they are Theravedan and that's not my style, as it were :)

i was reading their site today, as it so happens... interesting indeed. i do enjoy the forest meditation tradition, as i'm sure you know :)

I was unaware that Maryland had barrier islands, although it makes sense that they do. I hope it's a productive retreat! If you are ever looking for a group location in the Northeast, I highly recommend East Mountain Retreat Center. Although it might be a bit of a drive from where you are ...

Many thanks again! I do appreciate your reportage ...

With metta,
ZW

Namaste Zenda,

thank you for the post.

oh.. i'm sorry to hear that! i hope that it's nothing too serious that is preventing you from attending.

the barrier island is called Assateague and, interestingly, has its' own horse population. nobody is really sure where they came from.. common wisdom suggests that a spanish ship was shipwrecked off the coast and they swam ashore. in any event, they developed independently and now have the whole island for themselves. it's really pretty neat... they are very friendly.. and will come and happily eat the food in your camp site :)

http://www.assateagueisland.com/

Zenda71 said:
My sad news, which I wanted to share with someone who could understand ... I had to cancel my retreat. :(
I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe there's a karmic reason, so don't let it bug you. ;)

Indeed - a very necessary turn in the stream of life. Sometimes part of the fun is learning why things move that way. It can actually be quite fun observing the effects while you row gently down that stream. :)

Thanks for the support and wise words. It's nothing serious. Just scheduling trouble and some stressful times for my hubby at work. Long story short ... He works at a comprehensive day care in the city. They have a full staff of teachers and about 5 therapists of different stripes ... PT, OT, and speech. The week I was to be away, they planned to relocate to another unrenovated set of buildings. It turns out that he will be the only therapist moving since everyone else has quit (!!!!) or will be on leave for one reason on another. He's anticipating stress and long hours, and although he didn't ask me to cancel, I decided that I should stay home to hold down the home front so he can do what he needs to do. (He later admitted that he's glad I am staying home.) I'll do something later in the year ... but it is a bummer, you know?

Vajra: Assateague looks beautiful! Will you have a chance to see the horses and tour the park a bit?

With metta,
Zenda

It may seem a like a bummer now, but it also looks so much like you're keeping to the flow of the stream. I frequently observe instances like this in my own life - you are certainly making the right decision. :)

Namaste Zenda,

thank you for the post.

yes, we'll have plenty of time to explore the nature trails and other bits.. especially during walking meditation.

actually... we used to be on the board of a non-profit that collected funds to disburse to the park's horses and other wildlife programs. we really enjoy the island and it's special ecosystem.

Back