The Outrageous Claims of Christianity

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
1. God is love and where true love is God Himself is there.

2. The Mystery of this love has been experienced by Christians as three Persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

3. Against all conventional thought God among us showed that His power is about selfless love.

4. That we are all loved by God.

5. That by His life, death and resurrection Jesus accomplished the at-one-ment for all creation.

6. That at baptism we die and rise again in Christ.

7. That during the Eucharist Christ is present on the altar and when we take communion we are directly nourished by Him.

8. That "neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

9. That like a plant from a seed we will be resurrected to new life.

What are the other outrageous claims of Christianity?

To me outragoues means, offensive and/or absurd..... :/

Just wanted to understand the thread accuratley... :/

Ah, I see. I found a little nest of definitions. I mean Set B below, not Set A.

Set A. Grossly offensive to decency or morality.
Being well beyond the bounds of good taste: outrageous epithets.
Having no regard for morality.
Violent or unrestrained in temperament or behavior.

Set B.Extremely unusual or unconventional; extraordinary: loved to dress in outrageous clothing; found some outrageous bargains.
Being beyond all reason; extravagant or immoderate: spends an outrageous amount on entertainment.

Although I guess it depends on your perspective. Probably some or all I've listed above would fit Set A for some people.

Ah ok that makes sense then lol.

Ok erm....

How one book has endured through time, even though many have attempted to destroy it... It still remains, (Much like the will of YHWH.) And this one book has reached the four corners of the Earth, and it has effected many people and made them attempt to improve who they are and the world they live in.

And uhm redemption :D

Well when Jesus was among us, he healed those that were sick with blindess, leprecy, and lame. Even more outrageous was that he not only had power over the physical realm but had power over the spiritual realm also, and that he had the power to forgive sins and grant eternal life in heaven.

to me, it is outrageous that you claim all these things as being of Christ...

for me, all these reasons, and reasons like these are why the church, and christian orthodoxy is not for me... these things have nothing to do with Christ...

all this is catholicism, created by bishops, none of which had met Jesus, or God...

it has pained me, in truth, to give up on catholicism, but it is because of all this I publicly reject it as "my" faith, choosing instead a brand which does what it says on the tin...

I cannot recite the apostle's creed... not without being an absolute hypocrite... nor can I eat the wafers, nor can I kneel before priests...

God, for me, is not love... God, for me, is more than this; wisdom, intelligence, great otherworldy powers; there in healing, art, beauty, music, fine fragrances...

The mystery of this, the experience of this, is not three persons, but one; the God himself... the one without name...

Christ..? Not a God... just a man, one like you, or I... A saint, a prophet, a yogi, a mystic, an anarchist, a revolutionary, a man who would bring wine to weddings and heal the sick, stop the stoning of adulterers, tell the church just what he thought of it's sanctimonious hypocrisy, and throw over tables...

the apostles, his gang? Hard working class men... fishermen, lepers, robbers, soldiers... when they came for him in Gethsemene, they didn't shake hands, and eat cakes... they had swords...

his death? a ruse, a method, a trick... what better way to ensure ppl thought about what he said...?

the whipping, the jeers, the beatings, the spear, the public humiliation, the scourge... yes... true... the fasting in the desert for 40 days and nights... yes... true...

and even if only half of this is true, is he less worthy of admiration because of all these things?

the spirit, the father, that which Jesus himself claimed was God, was never a person...

the power of God is beyond love... love, by itself, is nothing, consumed by fire a person would cease to exist...

there is no such thing as selfless love; without self, there is no other, and without either self or other there is no love...

We are not all loved by God... there are those who sin against the spirit, and for those there is no forgiveness...

Not all xtians think that Christ was ressurected in the traditional way; ascending into heaven bodily, wierdly... Jesus, like us, was a man...

His death? Important? We all die...

Did Jesus accomplish the "at-onement" for all creation, or simply himself, like others before him did and others after him have and will..?

Baptised, by the spirit, of God, we do not die, although yes, we do rise... for those who have seen, there is no death but everlasting life...

The eucharist? Christ is not there... flour, water, a magic spell; these things are there... nor are we, via a wafer of flour and water and magic, nourished by Christ...

the idea of the man, the real one, his ideas; this is nourishment. There is nourishment too in that which Jesus shows the way to. These things are not the same as that created by the church fathers. There is no nourishment from the whiney miserable fraud on the cross, dead, impaled for taking chances...

the whipping, the jeers, the beatings, the spear, the public humiliation, the scourge... yes... true...

There is no nourishment from the whiney miserable fraud on the cross, dead, impaled for taking chances...

Rom 5:6-8 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for the righteous man, though for a good man -someone- might possibly, dare, to die.... But YHWH demonstrates his own love for us in this. while we were still sinners, Christ died for us...

Question do you see Jesus as a whiney miserable fraud? Such a bad judge of character I feel, if so.... :/

2. The Mystery of this love has been experienced by Christians as three Persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

3. Against all conventional thought God among us showed that His power is about selfless love.

5. That by His life, death and resurrection Jesus accomplished the at-one-ment for all creation.

7. That during the Eucharist Christ is present on the altar and when we take communion we are directly nourished by Him.

8. That "neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

first. I believe 2,6,7 are outrageous.
but i faild to see what is outrageous with the rest of your statements.
God loves All men Yes
Jesus has power over all things spiritual and physical. Yes
We will be like a new seed planted and resurrected to a new life. yes

I will tell you what is outrageous.
they teach in a hell
they teach in man has free will
they teach that God will not save all of mankind
they teach in a trinity
they teach in an immortal soul

these are just a few. I am sure theres alot more.

yes, I find that the whole miserable on the cross suffering in perfect love thing is a little suspect...

does not scripture say Jesus sufferd and died on the stake(cross) why wouldn't you believe in God's word?

Rom 5:6-8 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for the righteous man, though for a good man -someone- might possibly, dare, to die.... But YHWH demonstrates his own love for us in this. while we were still sinners, Christ died for us...

Question do you see Jesus as a whiney miserable fraud? Such a bad judge of character I feel, if so.... :/

Is this how you see Jesus?

to me, it is outrageous that you claim all these things as being of Christ...

for me, all these reasons, and reasons like these are why the church, and christian orthodoxy is not for me... these things have nothing to do with Christ...

all this is catholicism, created by bishops, none of which had met Jesus, or God...

it has pained me, in truth, to give up on catholicism, but it is because of all this I publicly reject it as "my" faith, choosing instead a brand which does what it says on the tin...

I cannot recite the apostle's creed... not without being an absolute hypocrite... nor can I eat the wafers, nor can I kneel before priests...

God, for me, is not love... God, for me, is more than this; wisdom, intelligence, great otherworldy powers; there in healing, art, beauty, music, fine fragrances...

The mystery of this, the experience of this, is not three persons, but one; the God himself... the one without name...

Christ..? Not a God... just a man, one like you, or I... A saint, a prophet, a yogi, a mystic, an anarchist, a revolutionary, a man who would bring wine to weddings and heal the sick, stop the stoning of adulterers, tell the church just what he thought of it's sanctimonious hypocrisy, and throw over tables...

the apostles, his gang? Hard working class men... fishermen, lepers, robbers, soldiers... when they came for him in Gethsemene, they didn't shake hands, and eat cakes... they had swords...

his death? a ruse, a method, a trick... what better way to ensure ppl thought about what he said...?

the whipping, the jeers, the beatings, the spear, the public humiliation, the scourge... yes... true... the fasting in the desert for 40 days and nights... yes... true...

and even if only half of this is true, is he less worthy of admiration because of all these things?

the spirit, the father, that which Jesus himself claimed was God, was never a person...

the power of God is beyond love... love, by itself, is nothing, consumed by fire a person would cease to exist...

there is no such thing as selfless love; without self, there is no other, and without either self or other there is no love...

We are not all loved by God... there are those who sin against the spirit, and for those there is no forgiveness...

Not all xtians think that Christ was ressurected in the traditional way; ascending into heaven bodily, wierdly... Jesus, like us, was a man...

His death? Important? We all die...

Did Jesus accomplish the "at-onement" for all creation, or simply himself, like others before him did and others after him have and will..?

Baptised, by the spirit, of God, we do not die, although yes, we do rise... for those who have seen, there is no death but everlasting life...

The eucharist? Christ is not there... flour, water, a magic spell; these things are there... nor are we, via a wafer of flour and water and magic, nourished by Christ...

the idea of the man, the real one, his ideas; this is nourishment. There is nourishment too in that which Jesus shows the way to. These things are not the same as that created by the church fathers. There is no nourishment from the whiney miserable fraud on the cross, dead, impaled for taking chances...

It's so sad that you are so lost.
You are right about the cathloic religion. there are just as bad as the heathens of old. praying to stone Idols, praying to saints, believing in purgatory, worshippng the pope like he is God Himself. confessing to a middle man so that he can tell you do pendence then you will be forgive. Is he God? does he have the power to forgive you on Gods behalf? NO. Their whole religion is based on nothing but man made doctrines.the cathloic church is the whore of babaloyn the nations drink of her fornication

It never ceases to amaze me that when people read the same thing and get such major differences in understanding.
1. I don't see Jesus in the slightest bit whiny.
2. I don't see Christians as a bunch of evil beings who go around preaching that everyone is going to hell. I don't say that. I don't even believe in hell as a literal place, and there are other Christians who agree with me.
3. People are generalizing Christians. I don't believe in the generalization of any group, including Christians. People just don't fit a mold.

The Outrageous Claims of Christianity

Well, since you asked....

If I remember correctly, The Book of Revelations says we will be held accountable for what we do. Yet we are also told that Jesus can take away our sins. There is no way both ideas can be correct.

One of the things I had in mind when I started this thread is that Christianity's claims are, in a way, outrageous, but also that these claims do not have to do with many of the things Christians are criticized for today.

For example, as Christine pointed out, Christians are criticized for saying "everybody else goes to hell." But that is not really a keystone of Christianity, and it's not even true that this is a mainstream Christian 'claim.'

1: That he was not a normal flesh and blood human being. (Not the son of some superbeing)
2: That his mum was a virgin after she conceived him.
3: That he performed miracles.
4: That he was resurrected from death.
5: That he is going to return.
6: Just about every other claim.

Think that covers it.

tao

Back