Happy Veterans/Armistice Day

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Show your favorite veteran you appreciate his/her sacrifice or spend some time with a lonely veteran.

I'm volunteering tomorrow in their office on campus from roughly 11 am to 3 pm, giving the person who usually mans the desk some extra time with family.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis- That is a nice gesture. Brian Williams showed some just discovered film from WW2 tonight. My Dad was in the Normandy invasion and I watch that old video thinking about what hell those guys went through. David

I spoke to my 92 year old grandfather on the phone on Saturday. He was a paratrooper dropped behind enemy lines 3 times, (twice in Greece and once in Italy), and a veteran of Normandy also. He is disgusted that he fought against overt fascism only to see it slip in anyway while everybody laughs along with the canned laughter of the dumb em down corporate media propaganda machine. American bankers funded and enabled the Nazi machine. They are more successful now than ever.

tao

I spoke to my 92 year old grandfather on the phone on Saturday. He was a paratrooper dropped behind enemy lines 3 times, (twice in Greece and once in Italy), and a veteran of Normandy also. He is disgusted that he fought against overt fascism only to see it slip in anyway while everybody laughs along with the canned laughter of the dumb em down corporate media propaganda machine. American bankers funded and enabled the Nazi machine. They are more successful now than ever.

tao

My Uncle David flew with the RCAF. He died on August 14, 1944
when his plane was shot down off the coast of France. He was 23
and died before he could see the son that was born soon after his death.
My Mom mourned for her lost brother everyday until she died at age 88.
I understand your grandfather's disgust.

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
- Only the monstruous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs, -
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of good-byes.
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

dm

Here's another poignant item (WARNING: Cute Alert Red): Photo Template

The soldier in the photo is Canadian and was doing a tour in Afghanistan (where the photo was taken.) I originally saw it on I Can Has Cheezburger.com.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back