The stoned saints of india ?

GlorytoGod

There is a River
Reaction score
What is with the consumption on hashish by Indian saints or Sadhus all about ?

How does their usage of the drug differ from that of western hippies ?

What is with the consumption on hashish by Indian saints or Sadhus all about ?

How does their usage of the drug differ from that of western hippies ?

I guess it depends on the level one see's and one -understands- the plant.... Tis as the africans say the plant of wisdom ;) You have the Rastafarians which call it "The holy herb" then you have some kid down the road who calls it "Sh*t" There is a certain degree of difference between these people.... Yet they are using the same plant!? Yes.... There is a different attitude and way of looking to the plant.... There are some that use it just to get mashed up, and then there are those that use it for healing and pain killing, then those whom use it for meditation.... And then there are those that use it for rituals....

In a spiritual sense, the effect of the plant many moons ago showed evidence of the power of god(s) and it was said their power/presence was within the plant... The plant was seen to some as a messenger of their god(s) and as you see today it is a holy sacrament in many religions, and I must say I have experienced that messenger from god many a time.... I must say there is nothing quite like it..... :)

Shamanistic traditions in Asia called it the heavenly guide... And saw it as a pathway to god....

It is simply just a different view and opinon on the plant.... You will for example have people on here Example: Q, who will show nothing but disgust for the plant... (in a taking within the body way... Not making into hemp way.) You will have others on here that have experienced the plant but moved on from it.... Those that still use it for one or more of the above reasons.... It simply is just a different view and understanding of the plant....... Like drink, there are those that drink out of their depth, and do it on purpose and look like idiots... Those that just drink it too look sauve.... Those who do it for social things... And those who do it in ritual...... Still just a drink... But varied in it's use....

Exodus 10:12 ;)

... pot smoking (or more usually, pot-drinking) is more usually associated with Siva, the destroyer, the auspicious one, yet I think this is some kind of modern invention personally...

people didn't really smoke "stuff"- they ate berries or mushrooms or plants to get high- sometimes mixing them into drinks, but rarely smoking...

smoking cannabis to get high or religious I don't think entered the mind of man til about the end of the 1800's... instead, cannabis was grown to a) provide hemp for ropes, or b) recognised as a general purpose pain killer...

bhang lassi, a milky, yoghurty concoction whose active ingredient is cannabis, was probably created soley for the sweet tongued Western market, although the ancient texts speak of something called Soma, and some texts state that Soma is a ritual drink used by some of the Gods themselves, and it is speculate that Soma must have had some psycho-active ingredient, and it is usually considered to be cannabis, but could equally have been opium, or salvia, or some kind of guarana- or khat type substance...

soma, in my sanskrit dictionary, is related to Siva when Siva is Rudra, initially, soma is pressed from the king of plants, is associated with the moon, and considered to be a moon god, and also means...monday- was
the name of a celebrated linga and it's temple in gurjarat, destroyed in about 1024 AD, as "somaputra" is mercury, the son of the moon, as "somapravaka" is herald of the soma sacrifice, somasuti involves pressing the soma, and extracting it's substances... Indra and Agni also drink Soma, and some ppl say it is amrta, or nectar...

from wikipedia-

".....in the Rg Veda...

The Rigveda (8.48.3, tr. Griffith) states,
a ápāma sómam amŕtā abhūmâganma jyótir ávidāma devân c kíṃ nūnám asmân kṛṇavad árātiḥ kím u dhūrtír amṛta mártyasya We have drunk Soma and become immortal; we have attained the light, the Gods discovered. Now what may foeman's malice do to harm us? What, O Immortal, mortal man's deception? The Ninth Mandala of the Rigveda is known as the Soma Mandala. It consists entirely of hymns addressed to Soma Pavamana ("purified Soma"). The drink Soma was kept and distributed by the Gandharvas. The Rigveda associates the Sushoma, Arjikiya and other regions with Soma (e.g. 8.7.29; 8.64.10-11). Sharyanavat was possibly the name of a pond or lake on the banks of which Soma could be found.
The plant is described as growing in the mountains (giristha, cf. Orestes), with long stalks, and of yellow or tawny (hari) colour. The drink is prepared by priests pounding the stalks with stones, an occupation that creates tapas (literally "heat"). The juice so gathered is mixed with other ingredients (including milk) before it is drunk.
Growing far away, in the mountains, Soma had to be purchased from travelling traders. The plant supposedly grew in the Hindukush and thus it had to be imported to the Punjab region.[citation needed] Later, knowledge of the plant was lost altogether, and Indian ritual reflects this, in expiatory prayers apologizing to the gods for the use of a substitute plant (e.g. rhubarb) because Soma had become unavailable.

In Hinduism

In Hindu art, the god Soma was depicted as a bull or bird, and sometimes as an embryo, but rarely as an adult human. In Hinduism, the god Soma evolved into a lunar deity. The moon is the cup from which the gods drink Soma, and so Soma became identified with the moon god Chandra. A waxing moon meant Soma was recreating himself, ready to be drunk again. Alternatively, Soma's twenty-seven wives were the star goddesses, the Nakshatras - daughters of the cosmic progenitor Daksha - who told their father that he paid too much attention to just one of them, Rohini. Daksha subsequently cursed Soma to wither and die, but the wives intervened and the death became periodic and temporary, and is symbolized by the waxing and waning of the moon. Monday is called Somvar in Sanskrit and Sanskritic languages, such as Hindi and Gujarati, and alludes to the importance of this god in Hindu spirituality.The Sushruta Samhita localizes the best Soma in the upper Indus and Kashmir region.[2]

Sadhu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spiritual use of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cannabis has a long use in India not only as a medicine but also as a sacrament of lord Shiva. It's an important spiritual tool of the priests and sadhus who are wandering monks. It is often smoked in a chillum pipe to aide in meditation and yoga in general as well as devotion to Shiva.

I don't think the association of ganja with Shiva is some new modern invention.....ancient texts do associate ganja with Shiva. Now I'm not so sure about smoking cannabis though.....eating cannabis has been going on for thousands of years for sure. It could be that smoking cannabis developed in the last 500 years after the method of smoking was introduced from the western hemisphere to Eurasia through the knowledge of smoking tobacco. But this may not necessarily be true since chillums come from the Indian subcontinent and probably originate thousands of years ago. What else could they have been smoking in those (perhaps dmt yopo snuffs?)? Plus if you are a wandering sadhu carrying around a pot to cook the cannabis into a drink would be a lot more cumbersome than carrying around a small chillum pipe to smoke it. And just look at Shiva in all his pics and he clearly looks stoned while meditating with his half open eyes. In fact half-opened eye meditation may be an idea inspired by the ganja experience.

I personally use ganja for spiritual uses as well.......it cranks meditation up many notches. Normal meditation is ok and all but it's nothing compared to meditating on ganja.....light visualizing meditation for example is completley taken to a new level especially with the increase ability to focus on such light when your eyes are close. Mantra meditation works very well too as you can have Aum repeated in your head quite well without distractions. There aren't many advantages to breathing-type meditations though, like the other types have....but it's still a lot easier to concentrate on your breath after a few puffs of that holy ganja smoke.

As for the identity of Soma......there's a good chance it is cannabis. After all it's such a widley use spiritual sacrament in India. And it was imported from the northern parts of the subcontinent like the Hindu Kush or the Himalayas. In high doses it definitely can produce the intense dream like states often attributed to soma. I find it unlikely that soma was khat or guarana like substances or plants since those just stimulate....there aren't really any spiritual visions or closed-eyed visuals attributable to a true entheogen. While opium has some of the the relaxing mood lifting effects of cannabis, it like the stimulant plants and substances mentioned has no inherent spiritual feel to it. It's a depressant primarily and only, unlike cannabis which has some psychedelic/hallucinogenic effects....especially at higher doses. Salvia is definitely a pure hallucinogen and nothing else but I don't think Salvia was known or grown in India.....it actually originates from central and southern Mexico.

Now as far as studies done on the possible candidate for soma.....I think R. Gordon Wasson stated that given the description it was most likely indicated it was a mushroom...as it wasn't considered a very leafy or creeping plant. I can see how this can work too.....however Wasson suggests it was Amanita muscaria mushrooms. While it is a hallucinogen I do doubt it could be the Soma talked about as it's quite an intoxicating sickening agent and doesn't induce intense dream-like visions that are attributable to Soma......unless perhaps if you drink it from the piss of the shaman which is the tradition in Siberia, lol.

I do think if it is a mushroom it's far more likely to be psilocybin mushrooms since after all many of these shrooms contain the yellow or tawny tops and long stalks described in the various descriptions of soma. On top of that many of these mushrooms grow in cow dung. Why else besides the other known reasons could cows have gotten their sacred status? It's very likely it had something to do with soma growing from their excrements. While edible mushrooms of any kind are often forbidden in modern Hinduism and for hundreds of years.....this decree only comes later on.....in earlier times mushrooms were allowed to be consumed. In fact it was first only banned for lower castes I think due to the knowledge of it being considered only fit for Brahmins.

Dunno it depends. It could even be one of the DMT-containing plants. I'm thinking though based off of historical accounts that if it is a plant it was probably cannabis, and if it was a mushroom it was probably psilocybin.

Some idiot who has no knowledge and read Maxmular written vedas who has such ignorence.Like if some hindu written Bible wat is the representation exactly same thing happen when nonhindu write the hindu scripture.A vast ignorence iof illiteracy of vedas.Wat I find from the Christian and muslim leaders.The approch is very different with them in hindu philosophy.If u want to know vedas pls ref.Syanacharya vasya,And for Upanishad Sankaracarya vasya,except those or older ,all r idiotic explanation including Radhakrishnan.

Sadhu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spiritual use of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cannabis has a long use in India not only as a medicine but also as a sacrament of lord Shiva. It's an important spiritual tool of the priests and sadhus who are wandering monks. It is often smoked in a chillum pipe to aide in meditation and yoga in general as well as devotion to Shiva.

I don't think the association of ganja with Shiva is some new modern invention.....ancient texts do associate ganja with Shiva. Now I'm not so sure about smoking cannabis though.....eating cannabis has been going on for thousands of years for sure. It could be that smoking cannabis developed in the last 500 years after the method of smoking was introduced from the western hemisphere to Eurasia through the knowledge of smoking tobacco. But this may not necessarily be true since chillums come from the Indian subcontinent and probably originate thousands of years ago. What else could they have been smoking in those (perhaps dmt yopo snuffs?)? Plus if you are a wandering sadhu carrying around a pot to cook the cannabis into a drink would be a lot more cumbersome than carrying around a small chillum pipe to smoke it. And just look at Shiva in all his pics and he clearly looks stoned while meditating with his half open eyes. In fact half-opened eye meditation may be an idea inspired by the ganja experience.

I personally use ganja for spiritual uses as well.......it cranks meditation up many notches. Normal meditation is ok and all but it's nothing compared to meditating on ganja.....light visualizing meditation for example is completley taken to a new level especially with the increase ability to focus on such light when your eyes are close. Mantra meditation works very well too as you can have Aum repeated in your head quite well without distractions. There aren't many advantages to breathing-type meditations though, like the other types have....but it's still a lot easier to concentrate on your breath after a few puffs of that holy ganja smoke.

As for the identity of Soma......there's a good chance it is cannabis. After all it's such a widley use spiritual sacrament in India. And it was imported from the northern parts of the subcontinent like the Hindu Kush or the Himalayas. In high doses it definitely can produce the intense dream like states often attributed to soma. I find it unlikely that soma was khat or guarana like substances or plants since those just stimulate....there aren't really any spiritual visions or closed-eyed visuals attributable to a true entheogen. While opium has some of the the relaxing mood lifting effects of cannabis, it like the stimulant plants and substances mentioned has no inherent spiritual feel to it. It's a depressant primarily and only, unlike cannabis which has some psychedelic/hallucinogenic effects....especially at higher doses. Salvia is definitely a pure hallucinogen and nothing else but I don't think Salvia was known or grown in India.....it actually originates from central and southern Mexico.

Now as far as studies done on the possible candidate for soma.....I think R. Gordon Wasson stated that given the description it was most likely indicated it was a mushroom...as it wasn't considered a very leafy or creeping plant. I can see how this can work too.....however Wasson suggests it was Amanita muscaria mushrooms. While it is a hallucinogen I do doubt it could be the Soma talked about as it's quite an intoxicating sickening agent and doesn't induce intense dream-like visions that are attributable to Soma......unless perhaps if you drink it from the piss of the shaman which is the tradition in Siberia, lol.

I do think if it is a mushroom it's far more likely to be psilocybin mushrooms since after all many of these shrooms contain the yellow or tawny tops and long stalks described in the various descriptions of soma. On top of that many of these mushrooms grow in cow dung. Why else besides the other known reasons could cows have gotten their sacred status? It's very likely it had something to do with soma growing from their excrements. While edible mushrooms of any kind are often forbidden in modern Hinduism and for hundreds of years.....this decree only comes later on.....in earlier times mushrooms were allowed to be consumed. In fact it was first only banned for lower castes I think due to the knowledge of it being considered only fit for Brahmins.

Dunno it depends. It could even be one of the DMT-containing plants. I'm thinking though based off of historical accounts that if it is a plant it was probably cannabis, and if it was a mushroom it was probably psilocybin.

Well, cows are sacred in India and Krishna is blue.....magic mushrooms grow on cow dung and they are blue when crushed or bruised, being the definitive identifier.
Could be a parallel there.

A few sadhus smoke it, and a million westerners notice.

What is with the consumption on hashish by Indian saints or Sadhus all about ? How does their usage of the drug differ from that of western hippies ?
Most sadhus are escapees from life. Many use it. They do not buy it. They don't smoke it with tobacco. Marijuana grows wild in most parts of India. So they rub and prepare it basically for their own use. I am not a user, so this the the best of my information. I have neither seen nor heard of mushrooms growing on cow dung which are blue when crushed or bruised.

Back