Jewish Dress Inquiry

Ben-Ja'min87

Ben-Ja'min87
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a student, and in English we have to pick a "rite of passage" to do an oral on. I'm going to talk about Bar Mitzvah, and I was going to wear a Jewish skullcap just for the visuals. Then I thought if I should, then I realised I didn't know :( So can anyone enlighten me on the rules for Jewish dress regarding Gentiles? Particularly the rules for the skullcap if any. I've always wondered. Is it strictly Jewish or is it a traditional Israeli peice of clothing?

Ben-Ja'min87 said:
Hello. I'm a student, and in English we have to pick a "rite of passage" to do an oral on. I'm going to talk about Bar Mitzvah, and I was going to wear a Jewish skullcap just for the visuals. Then I thought if I should, then I realised I didn't know :( So can anyone enlighten me on the rules for Jewish dress regarding Gentiles? Particularly the rules for the skullcap if any. I've always wondered. Is it strictly Jewish or is it a traditional Israeli peice of clothing?
Namaste Ben-ja'min,

thank you for the post.

you should probably take a look at this site:

http://www.jewfaq.org/

having said that... when i've had a chance to go to Temple, i've always worn a skullcap inside the building... whilst outside, this was never required nor encouraged.

perhaps, our more learned Jewish members will pop by to help you out on this one...

i don't think it's "offensive", but it is unnecessary. to cover one's head is a religious requirement and it's not one that applies to you in this context. it might confuse your audience into thinking you're jewish or something.

i'm not a fan of bar mitzvah, especially. it's got really stupid these days.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Correct me if I'm wrong here, bb, but isn't the aliya (sp?) or the calling up to read the torah, the only thing really necessary for the bar mitzvoh? I remember that my father never had a "formal" bar mitzvoh, but he had gone up to read a number of times, so technically, he was bar mitzvohed. Thanks ahead of time. :)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

yes, phyllis, that's exactly what it ought to be. in fact, the age of 13 for a man (and 12 for a woman) is the point at which you become an adult in the eyes of the halacha and therefore incur the obligations and responsibilities that go with the status - in the case of the man, to put on tefillin every day, pray, etc. all the hoopla with the chop-liver statue of the barmitzvah boy is for the parents to show off to their mates and can only detract from the religious significance.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Namaste,

acutally.. it wasn't a silly idea at all... and the fact that you chose to invesigate the issue prior to doing it displays your concern for other beings... and this reflects well on you :)

glad to be of assistance!

Back