the 10 Commandments

juantoo3

....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb
Reaction score
I have a question for our Jewish friends, stemming from a conversation elsewhere:

Abbreviated Protestant Ten Commandments:​
1. You shall have no other gods but me.
2. You shall not make unto you any graven images
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
5. Honor your mother and father
6. You shall not murder
7. You shall not commit adultery
8. You shall not steal
9. You shall not bear false witness
10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Abbreviated Catholic Ten Commandments:​
1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day
4. Honor your father and your mother
5. You shall not kill
6. You shall not commit adultery
7. You shall not steal
8. You shall not bear false witness
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods

Catholic vs. Protestant Commandments: Different Versions of the Ten Commandments

Notice the Second Commandment not to have any graven images is conspicuously missing from the Catholic version of the Ten Commandments. The Protestant Tenth Commandment is then split in two to comprise the Ninth and Tenth Catholic Commandments, and the other Commandments are shifted accordingly.

I guess I'm asking which side would the typical Jewish teaching take? Which translation of the 10 Commandments is more accurate: the Catholic or Protestant version? Or does Jewish teaching present a third version?

Looking forward to the responses, however I think picking out the 10 is a particularly Christian thing.

That is a possibility I hadn't considered. Even so, the proscription against idols is what I am attempting to verify or disclude.

These are the ten categories of mitzvot ("Ten Commandments") that I found on Judaism 101:

1. Belief in G-d This category is derived from the declaration in Ex. 20:2 beginning, "I am the L-rd, your G-d..."
  2. Prohibition of Improper Worship This category is derived from Ex. 20:3-6, beginning, "You shall not have other gods..." It encompasses within it the prohibition against the worship of other gods as well as the prohibition of improper forms of worship of the one true G-d, such as worshiping G-d through an idol.
  3. Prohibition of Oaths This category is derived from Ex. 20:7, beginning, "You shall not take the name of the L-rd your G-d in vain..." This includes prohibitions against perjury, breaking or delaying the performance of vows or promises, and speaking G-d's name or swearing unnecessarily.
  4. Observance of Sacred Times This category is derived from Ex. 20:8-11, beginning, "Remember the Sabbath day..." It encompasses all mitzvot related to Shabbat, holidays, or other sacred time.
  5. Respect for Parents and Teachers This category is derived from Ex. 20:12, beginning, "Honor your father and mother..."
  6. Prohibition of Physically Harming a Person This category is derived from Ex. 20:13, saying, "You shall not murder."
  7. Prohibition of Sexual Immorality This category is derived from Ex. 20:13, saying, "You shall not commit adultery."
  8. Prohibition of Theft This category is derived from Ex. 20:13, saying, "You shall not steal." It includes within it both outright robbery as well as various forms of theft by deception and unethical business practices. It also includes kidnapping, which is essentially "stealing" a person.
  9. Prohibition of Harming a Person through Speech This category is derived from Ex. 20:13, saying, "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." It includes all forms of lashon ha-ra (sins relating to speech).
  10. Prohibition of Coveting This category is derived from Ex. 20:14, beginning, "You shall not covet your neighbor's house..."
All 613 mitzvot fall under one of these categories. Anyways, concerning the discussion between the Protestant vs. the Catholic versions, it depends on who you ask. Some give a bit more leeway than others (get ten Jewish men together, one has one shul, get eleven together, one has two shuls. Get twelve together, one has 30 shuls. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back