Religious makeup of US Congress

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
From Congress.org - Congressional Demographics it seems we've elected more in each of these religions than is proportionate to our society...interesting...

Demographics Religion Combined House & Senate

Category Number of Members

African Methodist Episcopal4
Anglican1
Assembly of God1
Baptist58
Buddhist2
Catholic158
Christian32
Christian Reformed1
Christian Science3
Church of Christ3
Church of the Nazarene1
Community of Christ1
Congregationalist4
Disciples of Christ2E
piscopal35
Evangelical1
Greek Orthodox6
Jewish42
Lutheran21
Methodist50
Moravian1
Mormon14
Muslim2
Not Affiliated1
Not Stated14
Presbyterian41
Protestant24
Reformed Church of America1
Roman Catholic4
Serbian Orthodox1
Seventh-day Adventist2
Southern Baptist3
Unitarian2
United Church of Christ1
United Methodist1

BTW, there can't be any Baha'is because of our rules - we can't run for office if it is required to be a member of a political party. We do have some judges and ambassadors among us....

I'm also endless entertained how Christians hardly ever simply categorize themselves as Christians like we do Jews or Moslems. Instead we always get denominational breakdowns.....

BTW, there can't be any Baha'is because of our rules - we can't run for office if it is required to be a member of a political party. We do have some judges and ambassadors among us....

I'm also endless entertained how Christians hardly ever simply categorize themselves as Christians like we do Jews or Moslems. Instead we always get denominational breakdowns.....
Independents run for most offices today...

The breakdown I heard on the radio, that made me interested in the numbers only listed religions...and I do believe if there were 300 Muslims or Jews we'd get a breakdown of sects and orthodox-renewal...

Take it back, the radio did say the number of Catholics vs. Christians, that is the one I always find interesting...

Independents run for most offices today...

"Independents" are often still a member of a political party, like Libertarians. In my particular location, if I register as an independent, that means I am Libertarian in fact. And there are requirements that American office holders provide election councils lists of registered voters so they can be on the ballot - some 5 or 10k signatures. So even the independents are getting those signatures from somewhere - running for office requires a large organization and that means money and that means interests usually.

The breakdown I heard on the radio, that made me interested in the numbers only listed religions...and I do believe if there were 300 Muslims or Jews we'd get a breakdown of sects and orthodox-renewal...

Take it back, the radio did say the number of Catholics vs. Christians, that is the one I always find interesting...

Exactly. I do see what you mean about little need to break down subgroups if there are few of a major group present though. But it still looks odd to me.

Back