Empirical evidence for religiously motivated suicides.

seattlegal

Mercuræn Buddhist
Reaction score
Here is a thread where actual empirical data linking individual homicidal suicides to religious motivations on the part of the individual can be placed and examined.

{The emptiness of this thread should reflect upon the emptiness of the arguments presented as such.}

Here is a thread where actual empirical data linking individual homicidal suicides to religious motivations on the part of the individual can be placed and examined.
I think standard procedure is for someone to take a position and then back it up.

I think standard procedure is for someone to take a position and then back it up.
I was adding it while you were posting:

{The emptiness of this thread should reflect upon the emptiness of the arguments presented as such.}

I was adding it while you were posting:{The emptiness of this thread should reflect upon the emptiness of the arguments presented as such.}
We could always change the subject to ISKCON and see what that does for the post count.

what does Empirical mean ?

Practical instead of theoretical.

em·pir·i·cal (ěm-pîr'ĭ-kəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.
    1. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
    2. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
  1. Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.

Practical instead of theoretical.

em·pir·i·cal (ěm-pîr'ĭ-kəl) Pronunciation Key
adj.
    1. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
    2. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
  1. Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.

woa this is all far to intellectual for me :eek:

Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis....Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment
Are open-ended interview studies "empirical" ? They may not involve any hypothesis-testing or experimental design.

Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.
This is actually misleading. Data mean nothing apart from theory. We need theory to make sense of observations.

Are open-ended interview data "empirical" ? They may not involve any hypothesis-testing.
I suppose that would depend upon the interviewing technique. It may, or may not, be set up in such a way so as to cherry-pick the evidence, either deliberately, or subconsciously, on the part of the one conducting the interview.

I would say that interview data would have to pass a rigorous examination before it could be truly labeled as "soundly empirical," imo. {Yeah, I can be a tough skeptic, at times.}

This is actually misleading. Data mean nothing apart from theory. We need theory to make sense of observations.
The question would then be: is the theory driven by the evidence/observations gathered, or is the gathering of evidence driven by theory? (biased sample)

Seattlegal said:
...data linking individual homicidal suicides to religious motivations on the part of the individual...
I do not understand the question. Are you talking about records of suppuku ?

I would say that interview data would have to pass a rigorous examination before it could be truly labeled as "soundly empirical," imo. {Yeah, I can be a tough skeptic, at times.}

By what criteria would this assessment be performed?

Hmm, I guess you're right. Discernment is really more of an art than a science.
There are thematic coding schemes for speech communications. Not sure if they've been applied to research in this particular area.

Back