Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we are doing some psychoanalysis here, Linda, you know, you are not the first Jewish witch I have known (you should meet my mother-in-law :D, now that sounds like a Henny Youngman joke :D),

Avi,

LOL! I believe Yenta is the traditional term for your mother-in-law and similar types. My daughter describes herself as a "Jewitch" on the geni.com site, a term she prefers to "Jewiccan." I suppose "Jewitch" applies to me too, although I also consider myself a Jewish Gnostic when the mood strikes...

--Linda

I did not post that link to be insensitive or provoke; to me it seemed like one guy's take [60 years he states]; l just wanted to know whether he is right about those facts which seemed pertinent to the points being made here.

I did not post that link to be insensitive or provoke; to me it seemed like one guy's take [60 years he states]; l just wanted to know whether he is right about those facts which seemed pertinent to the points being made here.

NA, I know, I apologize if my comment was too harsh.

However, if you read that website carefully, I just went back and took a closer look at it, it represents the most conservative of religious belief and would be like asking the opinion of the religious right in the US. They are against formation of the State of Israel until rebuilding of the Third Temple or arrival of the Messiah or some such miracle.

I hope you can understand why as a Reform Jew I might get a little frustrated when I see such antagonistic propaganda.

no worries Avi, as you say non jews may come across as insensitive since we haven't absorbed or retaliated 'propaganda' in the same ways on the same issues historically. I don't like sites which have pillar box red boxes flashing incessantly!
Nevertheless, just like the far Christian right, many permutations, is a reality and worthwhile reading up and finding up what their stance is. As you say there are many kinds of Zionists. I was only interested in whether it was true that some of the prophetesses weren't born Jews and what reform, if any, they brought to the tradition.

Raksha said:
If you claimed you were writing under the influence of a maggid I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve you. But if you said it to gain credibility for an assertion like "moses wrote the Torah down as dictated by G!D..." then NO, I wouldn't trust you nor would I trust your source [the maggid] at least as far as that assertion is concerned.
how about if i claimed that moses wrote the Torah down under the influence of G!D? or do you only trust assertions which agree with your preconceptions?

bet I've been at least as horrified as you have at least as often. When I was a newbie to interfaith debate forums, I couldn't understand why some Jews disliked the expression "Judeo-Christian." Now I do.
but you can't understand why some jews dislike the term "jewitch" or "jewiccan", or the idea of syncretism? remember, you weren't privy to my first reaction to this set of concepts, which was, essentially, to go and dialogue with some "jewitches" on this site here: Jewitchery - Home which now appears to be more or less defunct. this isn't a kneejerk reaction, linda, i actually looked into this in some detail before coming to the conclusion that most of the people going down this road were a) profoundly ignorant of the richness of mainstream judaism b) not terribly interested in checking what the tradition actually *said* (as opposed to assumption) and c) profoundly convinced of the rightness of their own judgement and the lack of much more than their "feeling" that this was "right". now, don't get me wrong, i couldn't and wouldn't accuse you of that, but if your objections to normative rabbinic judaism are based on misconceptions (the above issue about canonicalisation and the apocrypha being a case in point) then i don't think it's wrong to mention it - again, i emphasise that i'm not trying to change who you are, but you don't strike me as someone who shies away from inconvenient evidence. i hope you are able to accept that neither am i.

But even if you're right, they are NOT the same kind of misunderstandings that Christians have about it. What horrifies me the most about Christian stereotyping of Judaism is that not only do they not know...they don't WANT to know! And the more fundamentalist they are, the harder they work at their ignorance.
umph - that has not been my experience, at least certainly not within dialogue. and if i believed such, i wouldn't see much point in dialogue, other than, as some traditionalists believe, simply to inform them of their misconceptions in order to point out our own exclusive possession of the Truth. personally, although i am a great believer in the uniqueness of the jewish mission, that does not to me require that i believe that everyone else is therefore wrong. non-jews have their stuff and jews have our stuff - some of it is similar stuff, too. however, part of the jewish stuff is about being about being able to distinguish where the jewish stuff starts and ends.

Bob X is "a first-rate chap" and that his integrity is just as rock-solid as his scholarship. And you could have seen that right away just like I did when I read that exchange between the two of you following your "tilting at windmills" post from 2003. And you could have acknowledged his integrity--and I don't mean in a perfunctory fashion either.
i got there eventually, i am not one to flip-flop in my opinions without good reason and, moreover, there are still lots of people who hold opinions on this matter to which i take complete exception, who may benefit from reading the thread. bob gave me good reason, so i did some homework and modified my opinions. now our relations are perfectly cordial.

Notice these two very similar observations coming from two VERY people, one of them a great deal more knowledgeable than the other. That was when I realized that you do indeed act that with everyone, or at least with everyone who makes you feel threatened for whatever reason.
what rubbish. when someone attacks me or my beliefs, i am not a turn-the-other-cheek sort of bloke. i didn't start it, but i'm not one to duck out of a head-on collision of opinion. there's nothing wrong with defending opinions that are worth defending, so you can drop the tuppenny-ha'penny psychology, thanks very much.

Avi said:
Most of the Torah is pretty paternalistic, with a few exceptions, Ruth, Debra, probably a few others that you might know better than I do. Not to say they are liars, but I do not think anyone would disagree with their being paternalistic. Of course Torah is an ancient document, so it is not really surprising.
the thing is, avi, the way you put this is entirely different from the way linda puts it. of course you are both entitled to your opinions, but you are careful to state them as your opinions, not as if It's Perfectly Obvious That You Are Right And Anybody That Thinks Otherwise Must Be A Knave Or A Fool Especially If They're A Man Because They Just Can't Be Trusted And You Have No Right To Question My Assertions Because A Higher Power Speaks To Me. i do react to tone, you know.

You are treading on very delicate ground here. There are many reasons that people are Jews. Some of us are born as Jews. I am not sure about Linda's case but based on what I have read, that seems to be the case. Some who are born as Jews accept different levels of Jewish ideas and dogma. Others convert to Judaism. I have met many converts to Judaism that accept more of the dogma than I do. I think you are off base with the comments that I bolded. I think Linda has the right to consider herself a Jew, whatever her reason, and you have no reasonable basis to question her beliefs. On thing I notice about Linda, that is very Jewish indeed, is her natural rebelliousness and challenging of authority
*sigh* if you read what i wrote, you'd see that nowhere am i questioning linda's jewishness. it is not a matter for me, in fact i would argue it's probably not a matter for anyone but her as she is of course sensible enough to point out. i am however, entitled to question if a particular opinion, position or practice is jewish and, in particular, if it is based in Torah or halakhah. i'm not entitled to *rule* on this, because i'm not an expert in such matters, but, like everyone else, i am entirely entitled to my own opinion, particularly if the opinion in question turns out to be better informed than the countervailing ones.

Tao said:
You have iterated plenty of times now that you were for a good part of your life ambivalent to rejectionist of your tradition. And that you have come to it as you matured. A bit like a born again Christian it seems to me that there is now only your truth.
absolutely not. if you read the thread on my personal theology you will understand me far better.

nativeastral said:
Avi l read here that some of those lassies were not even borne of a jewish mother!
that site is not a reputable one, nativeastral. i will start a separate thread on the subject. however, it is correct that some of the prophets in Tanakh (balaam for one) were not jewish, the tradition does not hold that prophecy is exclusive to jews, although nowadays we do not believe that the "spirit of prophecy" is freely if at all available.

b'shalom

bananabrain

this isn't a kneejerk reaction, linda, i actually looked into this in some detail before coming to the conclusion that most of the people going down this road were a) profoundly ignorant of the richness of mainstream judaism b) not terribly interested in checking what the tradition actually *said* (as opposed to assumption) and c) profoundly convinced of the rightness of their own judgement and the lack of much more than their "feeling" that this was "right". now, don't get me wrong, i couldn't and wouldn't accuse you of that, but if your objections to normative rabbinic judaism are based on misconceptions (the above issue about canonicalisation and the apocrypha being a case in point) then i don't think it's wrong to mention it - again, i emphasise that i'm not trying to change who you are, but you don't strike me as someone who shies away from inconvenient evidence. i hope you are able to accept that neither am i.

Linda, I would also like to know more about your Jewish background:
- Were you Bat Mitzvah ?
- Raised Reform or Conservative ?
- Read, write Hebrew ?
- Pray ?
- Read Torah ? Talmud ? Other ? Maimonides ? other Jewish literature ?
- MS or PhD in Judaism ?
- Rabbinic Ordination ? :D

how about if i claimed that moses wrote the Torah down under the influence of G!D? or do you only trust assertions which agree with your preconceptions?

BB,

I only trust assertions that agree with my preconceptions. I would not care who said, whether you or your maggid...or one of my "maggids" for that matter. It's the assertion itself I disagree with.

I think you know (or should) that I am not interested in debating this subject with you any further. And I don't care how much you "know" or think you know about Jewitches. I just don't like your attitude or the tone you habitually take with me.

--Linda

now, don't get me wrong, i couldn't and wouldn't accuse you of that, but if your objections to normative rabbinic judaism are based on misconceptions (the above issue about canonicalisation and the apocrypha being a case in point) then i don't think it's wrong to mention it...

BB,

You don't friggin' KNOW how I feel about normative rabbinic Judaism because I have never discussed that issue with you at all! And yet you immediately jumped to the conclusion that I either don't know anything about it or that I "hate" it.

There are several possible approaches to normative rabbinic Judaism. I basically take the Reform approach because that's how I was raised, and I haven't found any reason to change. I have read Adin Steinsalz' book The Essential Talmud but that's all. Some of it I agree with and some I don't, just like with everything else.

again, i emphasise that i'm not trying to change who you are, but you don't strike me as someone who shies away from inconvenient evidence.

Oh yes you are! You're telling me that I can't be Pagan and Jewish at the same time. I'm saying I can be because I am, and that I find it incredibly nourishing and rewarding.

--Linda

*sigh* if you read what i wrote, you'd see that nowhere am i questioning linda's jewishness. it is not a matter for me, in fact i would argue it's probably not a matter for anyone but her as she is of course sensible enough to point out.

BB,

Oh yes you did! At the very least, you questioned my right to call myself Jewish. That's over the line, and that more than anything else is what I can neither tolerate nor forgive. I'm grateful that you have the common sense to understand that isn't your judgment call when I pointed it out, though.

--Linda

BB,
Oh yes you did! At the very least, you questioned my right to call myself Jewish. That's over the line, and that more than anything else is what I can neither tolerate nor forgive. I'm grateful that you have the common sense to understand that isn't your judgment call when I pointed it out, though.
--Linda

Now Linda, don't be too hard on BB, it is not easy being a Conservadox Jew (I think the Brits use a different term, "British Reform" or some such expression). Lots of rules and Halachic principles to observe, you know. It's only Tuesday, and BB might still be coming off of a tough Shabbas from last week !!

(Psst, Linda, on the other hand, go ahead and hit BB right between the eyes. Any rational human (read Reform Jew) knows that there could have been no such thing as the divine revelation, lets hear him explain his way out of that miracle !! :D)

i am not one to flip-flop in my opinions without good reason .

BB, changing your opinion in light of new evidence is an important part of dealing with reality, it is a rational approach, and it is often a problem for Conservative and Orthodox Jews, don't you agree ?

For example, one of the things I learned reading the Mordechi Kaplan book, Dynamic Judaism (link provided on the Recon. thread), Kaplan was one of the early Rabbis around the turn of the 20th century to accept the notion of "biblical criticism". Before Kaplan, most Jews rejected the "Documentary Hypothesis", as was put forward by the German Christian critics, who were thought to be anti-semetic by many.

Kaplan understood that the evidence for multiple authorship was too overwhelming to reject and he was a major force for acceptance in the 20th century.

Don't we need to change our old views when we learn that they are wrong ? :)

And what are you views, BB, about "Who wrote the Bible" ? Do you accept the reform view of this ? :)

Psst, Linda, on the other hand, go ahead and hit BB right between the eyes. Any rational human (read Reform Jew) knows that there could have been no such thing as the divine revelation, lets hear him explain his way out of that miracle !! :D)

Avi,

Just for the record, I don't reject the idea of a divine revelation out of hand. But whatever form it took, it obviously could not have been according to the traditional view, the one in which Moses wrote the five books of the Torah with his own hand...including the one that wasn't "discovered" until hundreds of years after his death! That's just patently ridiculous--that Moses wrote the account of his own death, that he included such anachronisms as the names of places that didn't exist in his lifetime?

I'm supposed to believe that, or pretend to believe it? Whenever anyone makes such pious assertions to me I feel like I'm being talked down to and treated like a baby. I can't believe the person making them actually believes them himself, unless he never set foot outside of Monsey or Williamsburg or Mea Shearim, or whatever haredi backwater I may have left out. I don't believe Adin Steinsaltz really believes it, for example. Maybe 100 years ago there were traditional Jewish scholars who believed that stuff in all sincerity, but not any more. If they do, they should stop demanding be taken seriously by non-Orthodox Jews, because that's just NOT gonna happen!

I believe what contemporary biblical scholarship has to say about the multiple authorship of the Torah, just like Mordechai Kaplan did and just like you do. That does not automatically preclude divine revelation, although what form that revelation took is impossible to determine now. It may not have been a one-time thing. I have heard that "Mount Sinai" is a state of consciousness, rather than an actual place.

B'shalom,
Linda

It looks like I am a bit more skeptical than you, Linda. I am not a big fan of miracles, and believe most of the biblical miracles are metaphorical. This includes the "Revelation" from my view. I do not believe a literal Revelation was necessary. Wasn't it sufficient that a group of approx. 600,000 people escaped Egypt and successfully made it to freedom ? That was a pretty good success story if you ask me.

So what are your thoughts about chosen-ness ?

Raksha said:
I only trust assertions that agree with my preconceptions. I would not care who said, whether you or your maggid...or one of my "maggids" for that matter. It's the assertion itself I disagree with.
i find that somewhat odd, as it precludes the possibility of doubt, or that you might be wrong. i myself may seem doctrinaire to you, but i assure you that doubt is a constant factor in my philosophy, as is the question of axioms and indeed the question of rationality.

I don't care how much you "know" or think you know about Jewitches
i don't claim to know all about it. all i am saying is that i'm not dismissing the concept out of hand, but that i have done my best to engage as far as possible with it with an open mind, or at least the nearest thing i can manage to that. unfortunately, my contact with "jewitches" so far has not been especially educational, eye-opening or liberating and has left me with the distinct impression of grievance politics - not that the issues involved aren't important, but they're just not central to my areas of concern at this point. i dare say it has something to contribute to the jewish ecosystem, but i'm buggered if i know what at this point.

I just don't like your attitude or the tone you habitually take with me.
well, you don't appear to like anyone's attitude or tone, unless they agree straight away that you're correct. you also appear to dislike responses in kind and have shown every tendency to get personal. you also don't get british humour. you also give me no credit for good faith, honesty or fairness - add all of that together and you have a recipe for strife.

You don't friggin' KNOW how I feel about normative rabbinic Judaism because I have never discussed that issue with you at all!
of course you have! my views are grounded as far as possible in every case in normative rabbinic judaism - that is what the structure of Written and Oral Torah is about, that is what talmud and halakhah is about, that is where i am trying to come from and, moreover, to be as liberal and open-minded about it as possible. every time i have given a view which stems from a traditional viewpoint, from the documentary hypothesis to deborah, every time you have shown the strongest possible contempt for anything that gainsays any of your own opinions. so yes, if what you write reflects how you feel, then i *do* know how you feel, or at the very least i know what you say.

There are several possible approaches to normative rabbinic Judaism. I basically take the Reform approach because that's how I was raised, and I haven't found any reason to change.
that is more or less how i was raised too and i *have* found reason to change. the compulsion to make the leap was based on inner peak experiences, but i have found little reason to regret my decision. i fully accept - and, moreover believe it may be ENTIRELY NECESSARY - that not everyone will wish or be able to walk the same path for many good reasons. i have said this over and over again, yet i am continually labelled as some sort of religious fascist by you.

Oh yes you are! You're telling me that I can't be Pagan and Jewish at the same time. I'm saying I can be because I am, and that I find it incredibly nourishing and rewarding. Oh yes you did! At the very least, you questioned my right to call myself Jewish.
you're really not understanding what i'm saying. you cannot not be jewish if you already are, but you can of course hold opinions and beliefs - "pagan" beliefs if you like - that are *incompatible* with judaism. it doesn't make you not jewish. it doesn't mean you can't find it incredibly nourishing and rewarding personally. but judaism, if it is anything, is a system of *community*, not an individual belief system. if your beliefs make you exclude yourself from the community (and i don't mean the orthodox community) then they are incompatible.

Avi said:
it is not easy being a Conservadox Jew
i am not "conservadox" or british reform, although i have held such positions previously. i now consider myself a post-denominationalist, insofar as i follow traditional sephardi cultural practices, minhagim and halakhic norms, accept maimonides' 13 principles (albeit probably not as maimonides himself would have accepted them) and consider myself mitzvah-observant, whilst at the same time following an extremely left-wing and permissive hashkafa insofar as it relates to klal yisrael and, indeed, interfaith dialogue. my theology, on the other hand, is pretty radical, although the radicalism is drawn from some of the most traditional parts of the mystical spectrum, if you've ever read rav kook. i believe both rationalism and the philosophical, critical, scientific historical, literary and aesthetic toolbox have much to offer us - and, incidentally, i believe that that itself is an extremely hallowed and traditional sephardic position. however, it still doesn't require me to subscribe to the documentary hypothesis as it relates to Torah (as opposed to Nakh) or relinquish "Torah me-Sinai". to some people that might make me a heretic or bleeding-heart liberal. to some people that might make me a fundamentalist wingnut. personally, i don't see why i can't be both and neither at the same time.

Any rational human (read Reform Jew) knows that there could have been no such thing as the divine revelation, lets hear him explain his way out of that miracle
i don't need to explain my way out of it. i know there was/is such a thing and if there is no way for me to convey that experience to you, then at least i can act decently and in ways that are compatible with the experience. your comment, however, is typical of the philosophical arrogance of the post-enlightenment mind and you're welcome to it.

BB, changing your opinion in light of new evidence is an important part of dealing with reality, it is a rational approach, and it is often a problem for Conservative and Orthodox Jews, don't you agree?
i agree. however, i've rarely had a problem with it.

Don't we need to change our old views when we learn that they are wrong?
stop begging the question. clearly, i don't accept that my views are wrong. you are being very smug.

And what are you views, BB, about "Who wrote the Bible" ? Do you accept the reform view of this?
you've already asked me this, avi - and i have responded at length.

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/who-wrote-the-bible-11724.html

Raksha said:
Moses wrote the five books of the Torah with his own hand...including the one that wasn't "discovered" until hundreds of years after his death! That's just patently ridiculous--that Moses wrote the account of his own death, that he included such anachronisms as the names of places that didn't exist in his lifetime?
if you accept prophecy and the notion of the Divine, it is entirely possible. are you seriously saying that we can't predict our own demise accurately with the benefit of prophecy? even science gives us some of these capabilities.

I'm supposed to believe that, or pretend to believe it? Whenever anyone makes such pious assertions to me I feel like I'm being talked down to and treated like a baby.
well, you are entitled to react however you like. personally, i ask "and what is this supposed to be teaching me? why?" i don't assume that i have all the answers and that anything i don't understand or agree with is automatically patronising. if you were explaining brain surgery or quantum mechanics to me you'd have to explain it in extremely simple terms, because i'm not educated in these areas and it wouldn't be patronising to do so. religion is no different.

I can't believe the person making them actually believes them himself, unless he never set foot outside of Monsey or Williamsburg or Mea Shearim, or whatever haredi backwater I may have left out. I don't believe Adin Steinsaltz really believes it, for example.
in that case, you are utterly deluding yourself. r. steinsaltz certainly believes in Divine Revelation and does not accept the documentary hypothesis.

Maybe 100 years ago there were traditional Jewish scholars who believed that stuff in all sincerity, but not any more.
there are any number of such people and your insistence that they don't exist is astonishing. i may not regard myself as a "scholar", but i sincerely believe it too.

If they do, they should stop demanding be taken seriously by non-Orthodox Jews, because that's just NOT gonna happen!
in other words, you're right, we're wrong and that's the end of the discussion. you sound like a lot of orthodox jews i know. they don't think non-orthodox jews have any business demanding to be taken seriously as jews - and i disagree fundamentally with them. but if you share this opinion with them and not with me, why are you even here at a dialogue forum? how are you behaving differently from a born-again christian?

b'shalom

bananabrain

i am not "conservadox" or british reform, although i have held such positions previously. i now consider myself a post-denominationalist, insofar as i follow traditional sephardi cultural practices, minhagim and halakhic norms, accept maimonides' 13 principles (albeit probably not as maimonides himself would have accepted them) and consider myself mitzvah-observant, whilst at the same time following an extremely left-wing and permissive hashkafa insofar as it relates to klal yisrael and, indeed, interfaith dialogue.

BB, I like this description very much, so I am going to start a new thread about this topic.

Here is the link ============>> http://www.interfaith.org/forum/post-denominationalism-12326.html#post218936

Avi,

I expressed my thoughts on chosen-ness about a month ago in a post on another forum. So far I've avoided linking to my other forum from IO, but I'm going to do it now to save myself some time. I'm still pretty satisfied with the way I expressed myself in that post, although it seems incomplete to me now. I may add to it later on by using it to start a new topic.

I had you in mind when I wrote this, BTW. I know you reject the idea of chosen-ness as being elitist and divisive, and I can totally understand where you're coming from. I have my own understanding of chosen-ness, which may or may not be traditional although I'm pretty sure it is. It has very little in the way of elitist connotations...at least I hope it doesn't!

If chosen-ness means what I think it does, it is an inner commitment to tikkun olam that I inherited because I was born Jewish. You could even call it an inner obligation. I don't see it as giving me any special status in the eyes of God that people of other religions and nationalities don't have. Therefore I very rarely discuss it with anyone, except as I noted in the linked topic, occasionally with other Jews who share and acknowledge that same commitment. And even then I don't usually refer to it directly. I very rarely use the expression "Chosen People" at all, unless someone asks me about it directly like you did.

Of course I'm still free to accept the commitment to tikkun olam or ignore it, just like every other Jew and as a matter fact every other human being on earth. I wish people of all religions and nationalities would adopt it, if they don't have some homegrown version of it already. The world would be a much better place if everyone had a conscious commitment to tikkun olam. The only thing I believe is different about the Jews is that for us the obligation is inherited from our ancestors. It's a natural extension of the concept of the Covenant, which I also believe in my own way.

Why do Christians Hate Jews? - Topic Powered by Eve Community

BB,

When you read this post you'll probably be very surprised at just how traditional my beliefs actually are! And yet I accept the document hypothesis as you called it, or redaction theory or the theory of multiple authorship, as I've also heard it called. And that includes the written Torah as well as the oral Torah and the other books of the Bible.

Sorry, but I just don't think any other position is intellectually defensible. If you try to defend it on that level, you're just going to lose one argument after another. In fact, you'll probably end up looking like a dogmatic, pigheaded fool, which seems to have happened a couple of times already. I'm glad you came to a position of mutual respect with Bob X, but it could have happened sooner and with much less friction if you hadn't gotten your back up.

I was shocked when you said Adin Steinsaltz accepts the Torah me'Sinai view, which I take it is the traditional view that Moses wrote all five books of the Torah. I really thought he was just talking down to the readers in the introduction to The Essential Talmud. It felt like he was saying, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." I have such a hard time taking that view seriously that I honestly believed he didn't take it seriously either.

If you're seeing this as some kind of apparent dichotomy or inconsistency on my part, maybe I can put it into words you can relate to a little better than the way I usually express myself.

You have to take a look at the PaRDeS anagram again to understand what's going on with me, which is this: I have a very strong preference for the Sod or archetypal level of interpretation, because very often that is the ONLY level of interpretation where a given story or commandment makes any sense to me at all.

In other words, I don't accept the assertion that the literal and the archetypal levels of the Torah can't contradict each other. There are stories and commandments where the traditional explanations at the lower level are either intellectually ridiculous or morally repulsive or both. The Akedah or Binding of Isaac story is the most conspicuous example. They read that on Yom Kippur, right? I used to dread hearing it every year and absolutely grit my teeth all the way through it until I finally learned there was a higher level of interpretation. If you take that story literally as an example of Abraham's "perfect obedience" to God, and therefore presumably commendable, how are you different from the most brain-dead Christian fundie? I wish I had a dollar for every time I've argued with them about it.

Is that behavior to be emulated? I mean...what would you do about some lunatic running around claiming that God commanded him to sacrifice his son?

I understand that there's a traditional way of dealing with problematic texts that Rabbi Jonathan Omer-Man once described as "creative misinterpretation." He has spent many hours in traditional Torah study and that's how he described the process. He said there are certain traditional rules you follow and steps you take to arrive at a more tolerable understanding or interpretation of the text. I don't know what they are and I don't have the patience to find out either!

I've seen the results when you have presented them on the board, and they irritate me and occasionally outrage me. For example: You said recently (I forget where) the commandment to exterminate the seven nations of Canaan is null and void because they are no longer identifiable, so therefore the commandment is impossible to carry out. And you even said God is probably pleased about that!

That kind of "logic" or whatever you call it just comes across as hypocritical to me, and irritating beyond belief. I will never give lip service to that kind of thing and I'm not going to waste my time becoming proficient or even literate in that kind of sophistry (if that's the right word). It's digusting and I refuse to even pay lip service to it.

The commandment to exterminate the seven nations of Canaan should have been totally ignored and written off even when they were identifiable, and I hope it was. It did NOT come from God, but from some all-too-human human being with an ax to grind and a big chip on his shoulder.

B'shalom,
Linda

A quick point to make, perhaps useful regarding the context of discussions mentioned - the Tilting at Windmills thread is very old, and from the very early days of this site - BB had come over from another forum which was closing down, and then I invited bob x from a different forum - neither were acquainted at the time. Therefore there was plenty of room for distrust, misunderstanding, and uncertainty of the motivations of one another, which is precisely what comes out in that thread.

In other words, I don't accept the assertion that the literal and the archetypal levels of the Torah can't contradict each other. There are stories and commandments where the traditional explanations at the lower level are either intellectually ridiculous or morally repulsive or both. The Akedah or Binding of Isaac story is the most conspicuous example. They read that on Yom Kippur, right? I used to dread hearing it every year and absolutely grit my teeth all the way through it until I finally learned there was a higher level of interpretation. If you take that story literally as an example of Abraham's "perfect obedience" to God, and therefore presumably commendable, how are you different from the most brain-dead Christian fundie? I wish I had a dollar for every time I've argued with them about it.

Hi Linda, I suspect from reading a lot of BB and Dauer's posts that neither of them accepts the Akedah literally, but I will not speak for them.

Interestingly, I have just been reading the book "Abraham" by Bruce Feiler, I think you might have mentioned this book in the past as well. Feiler brings out some intriguing thoughts about the Akedah, and discusses some of the Midrash. In the section about the Akedah he describes that in medieval Judaism, it was believed that Abraham actually killed Isaac. He attributes this notion to a twelfth century poem by Rabbi Ephraim of Bonn. He claims that: "Abraham made, haste, pinned Isaac down with his knees, and slaughtered him".

He suggests some aspects which I was unaware of before reading Feiler: "Issac, the rabbis said, actually went away for three days, and then returned. In some versions he went to heaven; in others he went to the Garden of Eden, or even to study Torah. (The significance of three days actually predates Judaism and Christianity and was well known among Mesopotamian pagans at the time the gods traveled to the netherworld, then returned.)

Yet even for Jewish interpreters, the point is not that Issac dies but that he was resurrected. God revived him as a reward for his righteousness so he could provide salvation for his descendents. The idea that Issac was sacrificed and reborn became so widespread the Jews in the Middle Ages began to put ashes on their foreheads to remember their slain forefather. Every Jew who faced trial became another Issac. “Recall to our credit the many akedahs”, Rabbi Ephraim concludes. “The saints, men and women, slain for they sake”.

All - Any comments on this Midrash ?

Raksha said:
When you read this post you'll probably be very surprised at just how traditional my beliefs actually are!
not especially. the thing is, the traditional beliefs on this matter are not systematised to any great extent and there is more than adequate room for your opinions in this case. as it happens, i largely share them.

And yet I accept the document hypothesis as you called it, or redaction theory or the theory of multiple authorship, as I've also heard it called.
again, in this case, the two opinions are not, to my way of thinking, incompatible.

Sorry, but I just don't think any other position is intellectually defensible. If you try to defend it on that level, you're just going to lose one argument after another.
i don't think i've lost anything so far. i don't think i've yet encountered an intellectually indefensible area within my beliefs - obviously i do accept that there are certain areas of belief which are axiomatic and based on privacy of experience, but seeing as the existence those areas are also accepted by secular philosophy, there should be no problem in defending them and the behaviours that therefore logically proceed from them. you are of course free to dispute those axioms and my private experience, but you would be as entitled to do so as you would to criticise my taste in music and, no doubt, enjoy equal success.

In fact, you'll probably end up looking like a dogmatic, pigheaded fool, which seems to have happened a couple of times already.
well, you think everyone who doesn't agree with you Because You Are So Obviously Right is therefore by definition a dogmatic, pigheaded fool, which is in itself a dogmatic and foolish position, in this case clearly brought about by an clear case of overweening, self-righteous, narrow-minded arrogance.

I'm glad you came to a position of mutual respect with Bob X, but it could have happened sooner and with much less friction if you hadn't gotten your back up.
as indeed i dare say we could have done ourselves if you hadn't insisted on getting so unwarrantedly personal.

I was shocked when you said Adin Steinsaltz accepts the Torah me'Sinai view, which I take it is the traditional view that Moses wrote all five books of the Torah.
it is - and i am surprised you would ever have thought anything else, but then again, if you find it incredible that anyone so apparently intelligent and learned should have come to different conclusions from yourself, then perhaps you should consider why that is - i would suggest, as i have continually done, that the answer lies in different axioms and different inner peak experiences.

I really thought he was just talking down to the readers in the introduction to The Essential Talmud. It felt like he was saying, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." I have such a hard time taking that view seriously that I honestly believed he didn't take it seriously either.
le-havdil, i've heard richard dawkins say the same about some of stephen jay gould's positions, with the result that the philosophical world regards him as a poor philosopher, because he lets his biases influence him to the extent that he is unable to realise that more than one conclusion is possible based on the complexity of the systems involved, although as a scientist he ought to know better.

If you're seeing this as some kind of apparent dichotomy or inconsistency on my part
perhaps a logical quandary. philosophically speaking, you are unable to accept some of my axioms, because you have not shared my empirical experience - that's fine, i can say the same thing. but you go one further, to deny their validity because you dislike the logical results of including them as inputs into the system, whilst basing much of your firebrand militancy on (presumably) other peoples' unwillingness to respect your own empirical experience. i have no problem with that and do not see why you cannot accord me the same courtesy in return. my belief system is perfectly consistent with my rational faculties as far as i can see, because my philosophical underpinnings are not the result of religious indoctrination, but careful exploration.

You have to take a look at the PaRDeS anagram again to understand what's going on with me, which is this: I have a very strong preference for the Sod or archetypal level of interpretation, because very often that is the ONLY level of interpretation where a given story or commandment makes any sense to me at all.
hmm. you are aware, then, that by far the most black and white, starkly polarised worldview is held by those who are supposedly most knowledgeable on this level? i can understand and sympathise with this, of course, as it is one of the issues i grapple most frequently with in my own right.

In other words, I don't accept the assertion that the literal and the archetypal levels of the Torah can't contradict each other.
eh? where does r. steinsaltz or anyone else say they can? the only contradiction you're ever going to get is an apparent one - in this case, it is the resolution of this apparent contradiction that functions as a tiqqun on the most fundamental level. much of traditional wrangling at pshat level is based on the need to reconcile two apparently contradictory teachings, this is the content of the vast majority of discussions in the gemara in my experience.

There are stories and commandments where the traditional explanations at the lower level are either intellectually ridiculous or morally repulsive or both.
or at least they would be if the pshat was alienated from the other three levels.

The Akedah or Binding of Isaac story is the most conspicuous example. They read that on Yom Kippur, right? I used to dread hearing it every year and absolutely grit my teeth all the way through it until I finally learned there was a higher level of interpretation.
oh, me too.

Is that behavior to be emulated? I mean...what would you do about some lunatic running around claiming that God commanded him to sacrifice his son?
but, you see, the step that you take that i don't take is to assume that traditional jews would see nothing wrong in emulating the pshat behaviour! of course we would have exactly the same moral quandaries - but you seem to think that we would all quite happily slit our kids' throats if a Heavenly Voice told us so! this could not be further from the truth - because of the "oven of achnai" story and another principle of the Torah itself, namely "lo ba-shamayim hi".

I understand that there's a traditional way of dealing with problematic texts that Rabbi Jonathan Omer-Man once described as "creative misinterpretation." He has spent many hours in traditional Torah study and that's how he described the process. He said there are certain traditional rules you follow and steps you take to arrive at a more tolerable understanding or interpretation of the text.
yes, much of traditional learning is reverse-engineered and learning how this reverse-engineering is done is a lengthy and difficult process.

I don't know what they are and I don't have the patience to find out either!
so, because *you* don't have the patience to find out how other people think, you assume that the way they think is simply invalid. in your own words, how is that different from the "assumptions of the most brain-dead fundie"? at least i have the intellectual honesty to ask when i don't understand! i bet you wouldn't do that with aboriginal art, or native american myths - but because you're jewish, you think that gives you the right to pass judgement on traditional jewish methods without understanding how they work?

I've seen the results when you have presented them on the board, and they irritate me and occasionally outrage me.
you're entitled to be irritated and outraged at the results, but you are not entitled to pass judgement on the methods i use to get them if you "don't have the patience" to find out how they work.

That kind of "logic" or whatever you call it just comes across as hypocritical to me, and irritating beyond belief. I will never give lip service to that kind of thing and I'm not going to waste my time becoming proficient or even literate in that kind of sophistry (if that's the right word). It's digusting and I refuse to even pay lip service to it.
this argument is nearly word-for-word the exact argument of the church fathers in the early years of christianity when they wished to dismiss the "old testament" and its "G!D of Law" in favour of the "new testament" and its "G!D of love". i will accept that argument about unjust *results*, if they cause inequity and harm, but i will not accept that the method itself is inherently wrong and lacks holiness. i love G!D and Torah. i will jump through hoops to make G!D Happy, go to the most extreme lengths of devotion, make myself ridiculous in the eyes of the world, just as i would do for mrs bb. i don't expect everyone to, but i won't apologise for how i feel and the results thereof.

The commandment to exterminate the seven nations of Canaan should have been totally ignored and written off even when they were identifiable, and I hope it was. It did NOT come from God, but from some all-too-human human being with an ax to grind and a big chip on his shoulder.
if the commandment came from G!D, it was also some all-too-human human being that had the humanity to stand up to G!D and say "no, we have reason not to do this - didn't You Command us to learn, to become adults, to become responsible? well, we're doing it - so butt out!" you don't think G!D would be Pleased? wouldn't *you* be pleased if your kids showed such maturity, independence, purpose and reasoning skills?

b'shalom

bananabrain

if the commandment came from G!D, it was also some all-too-human human being that had the humanity to stand up to G!D and say "no, we have reason not to do this - didn't You Command us to learn, to become adults, to become responsible? well, we're doing it - so butt out!" you don't think G!D would be Pleased? wouldn't *you* be pleased if your kids showed such maturity, independence, purpose and reasoning skills?

BB,

It's late and I can't answer your whole post now, except to agree with you and say YES, I would be pleased by that. Furthermore, I consider that one of the truly unique aspects of Judaism--its saving grace you might say. I mean exactly what you're saying there: the concept that the right to challenge God has been given to us by God himself. It is clearly implied in the very word "Israel."

That is the central metaphor of one of the best poems I ever wrote, which I am in the process of trying to reconstruct. Unfortunately, I lost my copy of it in the chaos of my many relocations over the past 10 years. So far, I've been unable to retrieve it from any of the recipients (snail mail or e-mail) and haven't been able to fully reconstruct it either. I've "almost" got it, but not quite.

B'shalom,
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back