No exclusive rights of Jesus on the right path

inhumility

Reaction score
Hi

Jesus or Issa is mentioned in Quran, no doubt about it. Some people say that Jesus said “I am the way”, and then they think that only Jesus could lead to the straight path; no other Messenger could.

When such persons read Jesus mentioned in Holy Quran: Chapter 43: Al-Zukhruf they get the impression that Quran has mentioned that Jesus is the way.

I quote some verses from the above Chapter.

[43:58] And when the son of Mary is mentioned as an instance, lo! thy people raise a clamour thereat;
[43:59] And they say, ‘Are our gods better, or he?’ They mention not this to thee but for the sake of disputation. Nay, but they are a contentious people.
[43:60] He was only Our servant on whom We bestowed Our favour, and We made him an example for the children of Israel.
[43:61] And if We so willed, We could make from among you angels in the earth to be successors therein.
[43:62] But verily, he was a sign of the Hour. So have no doubt about it, but follow me. This is the right path.
[43:63] And let not Satan hinder you. Surely, he is to you an open enemy.
[43:64] And when Jesus came with clear proofs, he said, ‘Truly I am come to you with wisdom, and to make clear to you some of that about which you differ. So fear Allah and obey me.
[43:65] ‘Verily Allah — He is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him. This is the right path.’

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

I think following points do not fit into the inference from Quran that Jesus is the only way, as this does not conform to the context of the verses.

1. He (Jesus) was only Our (Allah’s) servant on whom We (Allah) bestowed Our (His) favor.
2. But follow me (on Allah's guidance). This is the right path.
3. So fear Allah and obey me
4. ‘Verily Allah — He is my Lord and your Lord. So worship Him (Allah). This is the right path.’

The right path mentioned in verse # 62 above, has been repeated in full in verse # 65 above.

Not only Jesus as a Messenger but all other Messengers as per Quran followed this right path of Allah, there is no exception for Jesus in it, in my opinion, or in other words it is not specifically mentioned for Jesus.

Not only in Verse # 65 this right path has been explained in several other places of Quran; one such verse is in the very first Surah Al-Fatihah of Quran:

[1:6] Guide us in the right path —
[1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.

The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

So the meaning derived from the verse that Jesus is the only way to God Allah YHWH does not fit well into the context.

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

I am new to this web forum...I enjoy reading the perspectives from those of the 3 Abrahamic faiths. I have heard that some seminaries have gone "interfaith". I think these are ways toward peace.

Welcome to the forum guys.

Concerning the topic, I think the tendency is for each religion/sect to claim ownership of knowledge and truth. But the point which is usually ignored is: if there is an objective truth, and an all powerful and personal God, then this God is fully capable of guiding whomever He wishes to that truth, through any number of infinite pathways. So ultimately, it is not a matter of Jesus PBUH being the only way, or the Jews being the chosen people, or the Muslims being the final witnesses... its about God and his control over each man, which He exercises in a very direct and personal way.

Back